A Father's questions...

I am thinking about taking my youngest squid D-Man to the Wilco show at the Paladium in Dallas.

However, I don have a couple of concerns/questions.

1. Volume --- Does Wilco play at DBT levels or are they more 'reasonable'? I have suffered some significant hearing loss due to exposure to loud music and I want to spare him that. I know I can get him earplugs, but fore warned is fore armed.

2. Are any of you familiar with the Paladium in Dallas? Is it a rat hole like some of the deep Ellum venues or is it 'nicer'? I don't particularly want to scare the Boy by introducing him to the seedy side of the music scene. I know there is a no smoking policy. How large is the floor (it is a general admission show)? He's taller than I am, so I'm not worried about him being able to see...

3. Have any of you taken sprouts to Wilco shows?

Are any of you planning on being there?

He is a really good kid and I want his first concert to be memorable. He is familiar with their music and is a proto-fan. (He has some unusual Wilco choices on his Ipod: Misunderstood, I am Trying to break your heart, Handshake drugs...)

the wife and I will be there. I am trying to get some more info on this venue from a good friend of mine who plays in several Dallas-based bands, as I've never attended a show at the palladium or even heard of it before this one.

I would say that Wilco's shows are in general fairly loud if you're near the stage, simply because most of the shows I've been to have allowed fans to get fairly close (largely due to the venue, I'm sure). They're no match to some of the heavier bands out there volume-wise, but I would think with any standard issue noise plugs the little one would be amply protected.

this is the venue's website, although the info link is under construction:

http://www.thepalladiumballroom.com/index.php

I would argue that of all the shows I've ever been to the two Wilco shows I've seen were probably the quietest and best mixed. I've seen them twice, around third row both times and I didn't find volume to be a problem at either of them. There was a family in front of me the members of which were all wearing earplugs that they proceeded to take out about 4 songs into the set.

But I would check out more info on the venue as the shows loudness is likely to be different from venue to venue.

A Wilco show is probably the best concert to take a child to. Being a kid at Wilco shows, and now taking my kid sister to many of them, I have full confidence that your boy will have fun. One of my best concert memories was from this past June's show in Davenport: There was a 6 year old with his dad right in the front row, and a 7 year old and a 4 year old standing, dancing on the seats behind me the entire night. As for sound, I wouldn't recommend ear plugs if you're within the first 5 rows, or a decent way back. I've seen Wilco shows from everywhere in a venue, and the best place to be for sound (and for general enjoyment) is in those first 5 rows. Then again, there is no harm in bringing some plugs along with you. The one reservation I would have would be drug use at the show. There's ALWAYS someone around you smoking weed at a Wilco, or at least that's what I've experienced, and I've been to about 7 Wilco shows to date. If he's old enough to know what it is, this would be a good opportunity to talk to him about durgs/alcohol. Moral of the story--take him along. He'll be thanking you for the rest of his life.

I'll be there. Its one of the "nicer" venues but only because its relatively new. Saw Army of Anyone there earlier. As for loudness, I think that while they songs may be loud, the nature of Wilco's music makes it easier on the ears than taking them to a hard rock show. You'll be fine.

We are taking our 4 year-old son to the Millenium Park show. We considered taking him to the Auditorium before, but it just seemed like too late a night for his age. This show starts at 6:30 and we are sitting on the lawn, but I'll probably still make him wear earplugs. I can't wait-he really excited about it. As far as the drug use thing goes, when my parents took my nephew 8 year-old nephew to the Rolling Stones at United Center, he wanted to know, "What that smell was" and they just told him that it was funny cigarettes. Take him. If you don't, you'll feel bad that you didn't. It'll be fun!

I've taken all of my kids to see Wilco at various times. You will have a wonderful experience with your young 'un. :thumbup

Ear plugs are a must. Not because Wilco is a super loud band but because these are children. Through out the show they will take them out and back in......but give them the choice. Nels and the crew can get a bit noisy....I mean loud. :blush

Weed?.....Be sure to point those people out. That alone should be enough to teach them the dangers of drugs :lol

I took my then 8 year old and he proceeded to sleep almost the whole night. It was all the excitement plus not being able to see, even though I told him to stand on the seat.

He is a really good kid and I want his first concert to be memorable. He is familiar with their music and is a proto-fan. (He has some unusual Wilco choices on his Ipod: Misunderstood, I am Trying to break your heart, Handshake drugs...)

You done good. :thumbup

I've only seen one show (this year, cinci), but there were loads of parents with their teens in tow. Grandparents too. Everyone had a blast. You can't go too wrong with Wilco, though occasionally there may be a fight in the crowd, like at any rock concert. i.e. the alcohol factor.

Ear plugs are a must.

I completely agree with this. Especially since we're talking kids. All the bones in a child's body are still developing and if something causes them damage(i.e. exposure to loud environments), the long term can be devastating. I recommend inserting the earplugs prior to the opener so that your youngsters ears can "adjust" to how things sound with earplugs in. By the time the music starts, the plugs shouldn't make a big difference.

1. Volume --- Does Wilco play at DBT levels

No.

It's loud but not DBT loud.

Ear plugs are a must.

Yeah, that's a reasonable statement.

Just buy a good set as opposed to the foam ones that can be popped in and out pretty easily.

See lots of kids, small and large at Wilco shows and think it's a really wonderful thing.

I am taking my 5 year old to the Louisville show :dancing She is super pumped! I have been wanting to take her for a couple of years now, I have always been under the impression outdoor shows, are less damaging on little ears than indoor? I don't know where I heard this but it makes since to me. I also wanted to wait for an outdoor show that is not in the heat of the summer (Sept. 21 will do nicely) The last requirement was after she was 5. That