Are you 1 out of 5?

As soon as I saw this was a YouTube link i knew I would be squirming in the empathic embarassment seat. I could only watch a few seconds before the discomfort became so intense I had to shut it down.

Oy.

I'm of the belief you should not only be able to locate the entire country on a map, but correctly place the location of every damn state. I shudder to think how poorly Americans would do at locating any other country but their own.

I love studying maps ... it's a bit of an obsession.

I've been staring at U.S. maps for too long ... need to move up to a world atlas, because I'm still a bit shaky on identifying the various countries of Africa. Elsewhere, I'm pretty good (though there are those damn former Soviet republics ... can't keep a few of them straight).

She was asked again and actually put together a sentence.

"Well personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on our map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. And if the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography."

although it still wasn't much of a sentence. this makes pageant girls look bad. it goes beyond the geography lesson, it almost panders to that whole isolationist dumb american stereo type why the world hates us sorta thing. oh wait, did that start to sound like how she answered the question.?.

As soon as I saw this was a YouTube link i knew I would be squirming in the empathic embarassment seat. I could only watch a few seconds before the discomfort became so intense I had to shut it down.

Oy.

Worst case of nerves ever..

She was asked again and actually put together a sentence.

Actually when she heard the question and had time to think about it (in retrospect of course) she was very articulate.

I'm of the belief you should not only be able to locate the entire country on a map, but correctly place the location of every damn state. I shudder to think how poorly Americans would do at locating any other country but their own.
Americans can be really dumb. I can name all states too....it really isn't that hard.

LouieB