Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, August 29, 2007

Dang, Kidsmoke, you are one of the VCer's I'd would love to meet at a show. I don't actually know anyone on VC, at least by there screen names.

I realize I'm a "major nobody" (watt pedro speil) but I would dig being at some sort So. Cal VC summit some day. I don't quite have the VC ettiquitte down yet. I've put my foot in mouth so many times on the boards I figured I'd get a pie in the face if I posted a seat no. b4 the Greek. So any way. You guys are the coolest fans a band could want. I aspire to be a worthy Wilco fan someday. Lurk and learn I guess.

Earlier this summer I did get to say hello to Mr. Cline at a Baynan gig. Nels was like, "Chuck Turner, what a suprise, you still livin in Torrance ?" . . . anyway I'm a dick, I'm addicted to VC . . .

Did anybody hang out after the show ? It was my first Wilco concert. So I don't know what hard core Wilco fans do after the band's done playin . . . I was home by 11:30 . . .

O.K. almost time for Jay Leno . . .

Aw, Chuck, sorry we didn't connect! Tell you what we're gonna do....this Saturday, for only $12.00, will you please join me for the Minus 5 show at Spaceland (in LA)? If you don't know the Minus 5 (Do you know the album, "Down With Wilco"? It means "getting down with Wilco", not a negative connotation, Wilco played on it) you're in for a treat. :yes If you haven't been to Spaceland, you're in for a treat!!! It's a great little dive! Please come! I've wanted to meet you & I can guarantee a good time. I'll even buy you a beer! (Oops, you are 21, right? Spaceland is 21+)

Aw, c'mon, say you'll come! We can trade Wilco tales! :thumbup

PS - What a great 1st Wilco show!

Oh & I'm Donna if we're going to use actual names.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverlake is a long drive for you Donna, from Riverside. I checked the Spaceland website and got tix. I'm sure it's cheaper just payin the cover at the door, but I figured with Peter Buck it might be sold out, but nah. There's a Tai food place next door, at least there was when I saw Nels Cline Singers there a couple years ago.

21, yikes, I'm even past 42 "thank you"s (but still 40 something)

---- chuck t.

Silverlake is a long drive for you Donna, from Riverside. I checked the Spaceland website and got tix. I'm sure it's cheaper just payin the cover at the door, but I figured with Peter Buck it might be sold out, but nah. There's a Tai food place next door, at least there was when I saw Nels Cline Singers there a couple years ago.

21, yikes, I'm even past 42 "thank you"s (but still 40 something)

---- chuck t.

Oh YAY!!! I know that Thai place, it smells like heaven & I've always meant to eat there. I even nabbed a menu recently so we could plan on it. This may be the time!

And now, as we are extremely off-topic, we'd better take any further discussion of this to pm's.

Much better than Sky Blue Sky? I'm sorry you don't appreciate a really great album more, there's real beauty in simplicity. I've seen Wilco in Chicago, New York, and now L.A. over the last ten years, and they're better than ever. Unfortunately, the L.A. crowd sucked. If you want to sit down for an entire Wilco show, do me a favor, stay home and watch PBS and discuss the benefits of comunism with your psuedo intellectual snobbish hipster urbanite dirt bag friends. And please, don't ever ask me to sit down because when I'm feeling the music I gosta move! Again, this band is stellar and I can't wait for the Chicago show at Jay Pritzker Pavilion-I guarantee that my Chicago peopes will not be sitting on their arses pleading for the guy in front of them to sit down.

Yes now this is a man/woman who knows what rock music and what a concert is all about! Don't sit down friends when you are seeing music of this caliber being communicated live. And yes, please do not ask me to sit down!

check my post about the santa barbara show! I seem to echo your sentiment

The problem with the show was the damn Greek. I hadn't been there in more than a decade cuz I was always so desperately disappointed after seeing shows there...The number one problem is the volume, or lack of it. If you have 12th row tickets, you shouldn't be able to hear the conversations of people 5 rows in front of you. Not that it should be be damaging, but your ears are SUPPOSED to ring on the way back to the car...you should be able to "feel" the music. I bet it would be AWESOME to see Barry Manilow there!

Wilco IS my fave band. Last time they played there, I just put it out of my head. The Wiltern shows were so great that I didnt wanna ruin the memory by going to the freakin' greek. This time it was the only local show, so I took a chance. The band was GREAT, the audience was catatonic (probably busy freakin' texting) and the venue sucked as always.

It's like when you need the turn the TV up just that one "click" to better understand the dialog....That how I felt for 2 hours last night.

Nels was freakin' flyin' though!!! The band was TIGHT, and the set was great. Tweedy really is The Man. Can't wait to see 'em again.

P.S. The Greek sucks, but it doesn't Price Center/UCSD suck.

I agree, I saw the show at the Greek and also in santa barabra. The greek was awful, only because of the people around me.. After every single song, the dumbass behind me said "Heavy Metal Drummer, play Heavy Metal Drummer." I wanted to kick him, bad.

I don't think I'll ever see Wilco play in CA again, maybe the Wiltern. But I prefer East Coast shows, and I would love to see them in Chicago, obviosly...:)

Minus 5 is coming to town? .... I might have to venture up from Irvine for that. I love Spaceland. What a great dive bar to see anyone in.

If you do come, please introduce yourself! We'll be at the front table on the left. :)

thanks Maudie!! :thumbup

-Robert.

:cheekkiss

Perhaps Pat as the flighty, chatty Carol?

:lol

I took my mom to a wilco show last November. she sat the entire time, and nobody had a problem with it.

Seriously. I don't understand some of the harsh words towards the sitters. Usually if I'm sitting at a show, I'm not doing it specifically to piss off the people around me. I promise not to tell you to sit down, please don't tell me to stand up.

Having said that... I stood up for this one. :lol

1281782852_cb9a6122c9.jpg

1280985825_1b5127adaf.jpg

1281687882_03a39a6f29.jpg

I like this one because it kind of looks like Mike exploded:

1281716128_04defad55b.jpg

The rest of them, blurry and unedited as they are, are here.

If you want to sit down for an entire Wilco show, do me a favor, stay home and watch PBS and discuss the benefits of comunism with your psuedo intellectual snobbish hipster urbanite dirt bag friends.

Again I have to repeat the question...why don't I enjoy live music the way I want to and you can enjoy it the way you want to?

My personal view of the live music thing (esp with Wilco) is that I am there to hear the music. The show isn't about me and wether or not I am "dancing",it is not about me showing what a huge fan I am by singing along with every word of every song, it is not about me proving to you I am having a good time by standing up so that you feel more comfortable doing the same, it is about the band playing the music. I prefer to sit near the soundboard instead of standing right up front where you can see everything but the sound is shitty. I prefer to listen to Jeff talk rather then yelling out the same old requests during breaks. I quite enjoy sitting back and taking it all in and listening to this band play their songs. I've been to plenty enough Wilco shows where I stayed seated for the duration and I really don't think it has distracted from my personal enjoyment of the show. So in what way would me not attending a show be a favor to you?

This band is so talented, so musically genius, so in command of their playing.... they are on top of the world and singing songs!>>

I'm not denying their musicianship. I live in Los Angeles and have known Nels Cline's talent for many many years. This will sound weird and stalker-y but I can honestly say that I would not be anything like who/where I am today were it not for Glenn Kotche's influence. John is easily one of my favorite bass players. Etc. etc. But they noticeably sped up multiple times in places where they shouldn't have been and places that are definitely not on their records. If they were doing it on purpose as an artistic statement, fine... but I really don't think that was the case.

>

I agree that there can be true beauty in simplicity but I just don't see it with SBS. If you love it, great. But I completely disagree. I see it as a huge step back for them. Anyway, that's a completely different and exhausted topic.

And I don't know about everyone else but the only people around me who were sitting were Jeff's wife and kids.

If you do come, please introduce yourself! We'll be at the front table on the left. :)

:upset Why does this world have to be so big :cryin?!

Aw, sweetie, can't you figure out some way to teleport there? It would be so nice to see you! Bring Roberino too. :thumbup

Again I have to repeat the question...why don't I enjoy live music the way I want to and you can enjoy it the way you want to?

My personal view of the live music thing (esp with Wilco) is that I am there to hear the music. The show isn't about me and wether or not I am "dancing",it is not about me showing what a huge fan I am by singing along with every word of every song, it is not about me proving to you I am having a good time by standing up so that you feel more comfortable doing the same, it is about the band playing the music. I prefer to sit near the soundboard instead of standing right up front where you can see everything but the sound is shitty. I prefer to listen to Jeff talk rather then yelling out the same old requests during breaks. I quite enjoy sitting back and taking it all in and listening to this band play their songs. I've been to plenty enough Wilco shows where I stayed seated for the duration and I really don't think it has distracted from my personal enjoyment of the show. So in what way would me not attending a show be a favor to you?

Sir, the problem is when you have an entire audience sitting down for a show. Jeff Tweedy hates that crap and often comments during shows about unenthusiastic audiences. Bands love energy, they feed on it and many times use it to inspire great performances. What rock band wants to play in front of a sitting audience? IT IS ABOUT YOU SIR! IT'S ABOUT US AS FANS! So I say, if you want to sit, then fine, but please don't mind if I shake my ass in front of your face all night along, singing to the band, throwing my arms up, jumping up and down, and obstructing your view, because if you ask me to sit down then most likely I will laugh in your face. Have a good show!

it's breathtakingly pathetic how some of you (perhaps those who jumped on during Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) think that Sky Blue Sky is an inferior album and a step back. Here's a band who has explored new sounds and has taken huge risks on Yankee and A Ghost...and have simply come back to the beautful roots of where they began. And, in those simple songs there's some really great exploring. This album is about taking the moment, what you feel, what your experience is at a given time, how the given circumstances of life our shaping your world and putting all of this into a really fantastic album, and I'm sorry it's not wierd enough for you critics. How is that a step back? Is it because the album lacks any 45 second drones of ambient sound? Does it not meet your criteria for great music? Really? What an honest, gorgeous, rocking album by a band who's knocked around space and come back home. I feel so bad for those how miss the message.

SBS is an evolution of the band and I think (hope) it will manifest more clearly on the next studio album as the influence of Nels' musicianship and creativity. My hope is that Nels the polite guitar whiz will take a bigger role in arranging the songs. Not to highlight that he's great (we know...) but because he is so musically cogniscent.

But, I don't really see SBS as a comeback to their roots. I've been listening to A.M. a lot lately and I just don't hear that. Oh and I've listened to SBS at least 50 times, probably closer to 100; I think it's a brilliant, near perfect record. Though it did take several tries before I got into it.

I also don't think SBS is enough of an evolution to leave many fans behind, as in people giving up on Wilco because of the sound of this record. But SBS is 'older and wiser'....it reflects a lot of personal growth by Jeff. Some folks wanna stay stuck in a rock time warp, that's fine but Wilco is a living thing. I believe in 5 or 10 years all of us will be saying we thought SBS was the shit all along. :yes

Some folks wanna stay stuck in a rock time warp, that's fine but Wilco is a living thing. I believe in 5 or 10 years all of us will be saying we thought SBS was the shit all along. :yes

I remember thinking the same thing about agib. I listened to it two or three times when it first came out, probably closer to 10-20 to give it a listen. It didn't do much for me. I put it on a shelf for about a year then put it back on just before I was about to see them live in '05. Wanted to be somewhat familiar with the songs so I knew was I was getting. Then I was blown away with the album. It took a while for it to simmer and grow, but it took root firmly.

SBS is a similar grower. On first listen (the internet stream) I only had it on in the background and didn't hear anything that stood out particularly well. The first few times in my car when I was listening still wasn't blown away. I've come to appreciate it more with each listen, and even more after seeing the recent shows, but I imagine I'm going to like it 10 times as much in a year or two. :music

I remember thinking the same thing about agib. I listened to it two or three times when it first came out, probably closer to 10-20 to give it a listen. It didn't do much for me. I put it on a shelf for about a year then put it back on just before I was about to see them live in '05. Wanted to be somewhat familiar with the songs so I knew was I was getting. Then I was blown away with the album. It took a while for it to simmer and grow, but it took root firmly.

SBS is a similar grower. On first listen (the internet stream) I only had it on in the background and didn't hear anything that stood out particularly well. The first few times in my car when I was listening still wasn't blown away. I've come to appreciate it more with each listen, and even more after seeing the recent shows, but I imagine I'm going to like it 10 times as much in a year or two. :music

agib is definately an album which takes several listenings to appreciate I think and then boom it hits. To me, SBS is immediately appealing and continues to grow the more I listen to it. Always the one to stir a pot, I say for those of you who rip the record, you suck ass.