Billy Bragg (but not Wilco) to perform at Guthrie tribute/Huntington's benefit

Performing together? Like, on stage at the same time, together??

Currently writing with Guthrie are Lou Reed, the jazz bassist Rob Wasserman, the cabaret satirist Nellie McKay, the rapper Michael Franti and the alt-country artist Jay Farrar.

Just so people don't freak out any more than they already have, reliable sources tell me that Wilco is NOT going to be performing at this Woody benefit on Oct. 17 despite what the NYT reported. They apparently got some erroneous information and decided to run with it. But no, Wilco will indeed be in Detroit that evening.

According to woodyguthrie.org:

October 17 - NEW YORK CITY

Guthrie Musical Tribute

Billy Bragg, Steve Earle, Tim Robbins, Bright Eyes and many more!

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Huntington's Disease Society of America, HDSA presents this live musical tribute to Woody Guthrie at Webster Hall. This is a benefit event for HDSA, and is in honor of Marjorie Guthrie and all other caretakers.

More information coming soon.

All the news that's fit to print -- and some that's not!

Sounded like wishful thinking on the part of the reporter. I did read this article after seeing it referenced here.

I wish someone (perhaps the foundation) would post an entire list of all the material that has been recorded as a result of this project. It is sort of difficult to tell from this article who has done (or is doing) what.

LouieB

Sounded like wishful thinking on the part of the reporter.

Yeah, maybe he thought Wilco is Billy Bragg's band. Kind of like Bob Dylan and The Band, who played at the 1967 tribute concert.

I posted a pissy comment last night but I guess a mod didn't like my language. I think it's pretty shameful to have this tribute without Wilco there. But it's for a good cause, so I guess we can't complain.

I think it's pretty shameful to have this tribute without Wilco there. But it's for a good cause, so I guess we can't complain.

Maybe Wilco was asked and didn't want to do it? (I don't think this is true, I have no idea what the deal is here, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical situation.) Maybe Wilco wanted to do it, but wasn't available on the one night that worked for every other artist they wanted, or on the one night that the perfect venue was available?

Again, I don't know, I just think there are situations where it might be OK that they do this event without Wilco.

Lou, it's not exactly what you're looking for (and I doubt it's comprehensive), but there are some sections in the woodyguthrie.org store that have albums and singles of Woody's songs performed by other artists:

CDs

singles

Lou, it's not exactly what you're looking for (and I doubt it's comprehensive), but there are some sections in the woodyguthrie.org store that have albums and singles of Woody's songs performed by other artists:

CDs

singles

Yea, I have checked the site on occasion. This does have the Klezmatics and Wilco, but it doesn't seem to reference some of the other stuff mentioned in the article. At least it has some of the stuff for sale including the earlier tribute concerts that was jam packed with celebs.

It is good to see that the Country Joe material is back in print. It is one of my favorite album of Woody's songs; great arrangements with veteran Nashville session folks.

Wow, the wire recording is $30!! What's with that? Wasn't it given to the foundation?

LouieB

There will continue to be Woody Guthrie Tribute shows for the forseeable future. I am sure Wilco will get a chance to perform in one.

When was the one in Cleveland? I don't believe Wilco played at that one either...

LouieB

i think the cleveland thing was in 95. i was too cool for my own good back then and missed it entirely.
Man I am getting old fast....that sounds right. Woody got into the HOF pretty early. It was probably pretty cool, being at Severence Hall and all. This from the Woody archives...

41N3FCCKWPL._AA240_.jpg Silly me, I actually own this album...

LouieB

ooh, that wire recording looks pretty sweet. Kinda pricy tho. I suppose I'll have to buy it since nobody's going to be torrenting that on oink.

The money goes to the Huntingtons foundation, but looks like you get a photobook of some sort

I hope there are some extras with this, because the price is definitely high.

LouieB

Packaged in a 72-page hardcover book including:

- Extensive historical text

- Original lyrics from The Woody Guthrie Archives

- Never-before-seen photos of Woody Guthrie in performance

- Historic and technical notes on wire recordings and the audio restoration processes

- And a PDF transcript of the entire recording