I Met Lou Reed (and Laurie Anderson) Tonight

Like I wrote, I don't know if this warrants a thread, but I met Lou Reed tonight. That's right. Lou F'in Reed. Definitely in my top 10 of musical "heroes."

I was waiting in line outside of Carnegie Hall to see another one of my musical heroes - Sonny Rollins - when this all went down. It was a total mess outside of Carnegie Hall, people everywhere waiting to get in. Anyway, I'm just standing there when this guy asks me, "is this the line for tickets or is it for people with tickets?" Well, I turn to look at the guy and it's Lou. Lou F'in Reed. I say, "it's the line for ticket holders." He says "thanks," and then I say "you probably don't have to wait in line." Lou then says, "I know. I probably don't, but, if I cut, I probably wouldn't make too many friends." I then tell Lou, "I respect that." What a douche thing to say, but I said it. I mean, David Bowie probably would have cut the line. If I wrote "Pale Blue Eyes," I would have cut the line. Not Lou. Lou didn't want to play that celebrity/star stuff. I do respect that. Anyway, Lou and Laura kind of looked at each other and laughed at my remark, and that was it. We then stood next to each other for the next half hour - until we got in - and didn't say anything. I had tons of things I would have liked to have said, but I just didn't want to bother the guy. He was there for the same reason I was - to see Sonny Rollins. No one was bothering me, so why should I bother him? Anyway, I feel I missed an opportunity to kiss my heroes ass and share our mutual experiences (time in Brooklyn and at Syracuse University), but, at the same time, I feel good for respecting his privacy. The thing is he seemed like he would have actually been open to some conversation. After all, him and Laurie Anderson didn't say more than ten words to each other (she was playing with her iPhone). Nonetheless, I kept my mouth shut and played it NY cool - like I imagine Lou would.

That's that. Sonny Rollins was great. Two sets: one trio set with Christian McBride and Roy Haynes and one with his regular touring band which now includes Steve Jordan (of Keith Richards X-Pensive Winos fame). The guy can drum. The performance was recorded and is to be released on CD next year. Cool night.

Good story. I salute you.

That was great! Thanks. Thinking about seeing Rollins in Detroit. Sounds like I should.

Definitely go. Sonny can still play, and Steve Jordan really adds energy to his band.

One last thing about Lou: he looked healthy/good in person. I've seen recent photos where he looked pretty haggard, but not in person. I was surprised.

Thanks for indulging my excitement over seeing the guy. I feel kind of stupid about it, but, hey, it's Lou Reed. It's funny too because the soundtrack of my past week has been the 1969 VU album. I've hardly listened to anything else, and then to see the guy...

Definitely go. Sonny can still play, and Steve Jordan really adds energy to his band.

One last thing about Lou: he looked healthy/good in person. I've seen recent photos where he looked pretty haggard, but not in person. I was surprised.

Thanks for indulging my excitement over seeing the guy. I feel kind of stupid about it, but, hey, it's Lou Reed. It's funny too because the soundtrack of my past week has been the 1969 VU album. I've hardly listened to anything else, and then to see the guy...

May I recommend Set The Twilight Reeling if you don't already have it? Such a great album! :wub

Wow. Very cool story man. I feel fortunate to have seen nearly all of my RxR heroes, but I've never seen Lou. He's #1 on my list.

Wow. Very cool story man. I feel fortunate to have seen nearly all of my RxR heroes, but I've never seen Lou. He's #1 on my list.
I have to say i have never seen him either and also one of my big heros. Sometimes I think it is okay NOT to see people you really like alot. I don't regret not seeing him or several others I can think of.

I have however seen Laurie Anderson a few times, who is also one of my big heros (and grew up in the Chicago suburbs) and she was absolutely fantastic each time, but particularly a two night stand she did at Park West after Oh Superman came out when she did big hunks of United States of America.

LouieB

For the longest time I thought Lou Reed was married to Loni Anderson. Yeah. That Loni Anderson. It never really made all that much sense to me, but hey, who can argue with love?

Let's just say my friends haven't stopped laughing yet.

That is interesting. From the interviews I have read, he always seems like a dick.

Me too, but that's probably because he had to sit there listening to/answering all the stupid-ass questions that got edited out of the interview.

Thats great! I love me some Lou Reed...

Just found this on Utube...my band doin "OH Sweet Nuthin'"

Superb!! You guys need a bigger stage. ;)

Probably my favorite VU song ever.

That is interesting. From the interviews I have read, he always seems like a dick.

Pitchfork posted an interview with him earlier this week (he's promoting a live recording of Metal Machine Music). I couldn't believe it when I read it. He was real friendly and was almost flirting with the interviewer. If anyone's interested, here's the link:

Pitchfork - Lou Reed Interview

I guess he can be nice when he wants to be.