The Quasi-Official NHL Thread

The Preseason has begun, injuries are a plenty, and teams(eh, team) are for sale. It looks to be an interesting year in the NHL. I know I'm excited :thumbup

Buffalo is gonna choke, Penguins are gonna win the presidents trophy, and another Norris for my man Lindstrom.

Anybody else got predictions?

Let the Quest For The Cup begin!!

datsyuk4.jpg

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i hope the league has a good year meaning no embarassments, no blemishes, strong competition, lots of scoring but good defense. I dont like to hear sports fans/media rip on the NHL.

I will continue to cheer on the Boston Bruins although outlook is dim. Pittsburgh does look strong and Crosby will only get better.

Paul kariya in STL will be interesting, i usually travel there to see the Blues every year. Tkachuk is back too, hopefully they will return to the playoffs.

For the first time in I don't know how long I am not very optimistic about the Red Wings this season. At least they will be better than the Blackhawks.

And if I was the NHL Commissioner, I would eliminate any and all teams south of St. Louis. With less teams, the Eastern and Western Conferences could play each other during the regular season. I would also bring back the old conference and division names.

For the first time in I don't know how long I am not very optimistic about the Red Wings this season. At least they will be better than the Blackhawks.

And if I was the NHL Commissioner, I would eliminate any and all teams south of St. Louis. With less teams, the Eastern and Western Conferences could play each other during the regular season. I would also bring back the old conference and division names.

I don't know about your ideas on the NHL but i'm pretty sure you could do a better job then Bettman. I mean i'm all for expansion of the NHL but the smaller market southern teams need to figure something out that works. Just give it time.

As for the Red Wings, I have faith man, they didn't really lose anybody from last year I mean other then Schneider replaced with Rafalski. Lang being traded gives a lot of money to play with and if you watched a lot of red wings games, he sucked more often then was stellar. I predict we win the division and end up 3rd or 4th in the conference. which is something I'm totally comfortable with, a year with the Red Wings as underdogs will be nice. I'm excited were a rebuilding young team now and we skipped the part were we suck.

I agree, I was never a fan of the "rebranding" of the conference and division names. I feel it really took away from the rich history that the NHL had through '93. I guess it was a way to dumb down the sport for new fans that were brought in via expansion teams.

I'm actually very positive about the Bruins. Last year was supposed to be a big year, and they fell hard.

I think it's best when nobody thinks you'll be good, no pressure.

I like the goalies, and we added some big bad Bruin kinda players. It's time to bring back the old days in Boston.

The NHL should never changed the names of the divisions. Adams, Patrick, Smyth and what's the last one ?

I'm actually very positive about the Bruins. Last year was supposed to be a big year, and they fell hard.

I think it's best when nobody thinks you'll be good, no pressure.

I like the goalies, and we added some big bad Bruin kinda players. It's time to bring back the old days in Boston.

The NHL should never changed the names of the divisions. Adams, Patrick, Smyth and what's the last one ?

Norris

I'm very excited about the Bruins this year as well. I've been going to training camp, and Fernandez looks good in net. Murray and Axellson are healthy again, and all in all this should be a good year, with a good possibilities for a postseason stint.

GO BRUINS

The Preseason has begun, injuries are a plenty, and teams(eh, team) are for sale. It looks to be an interesting year in the NHL. I know I'm excited :thumbup

Buffalo is gonna choke, Penguins are gonna win the presidents trophy, and another Norris for my man Lindstrom.

Anybody else got predictions?

Let the Quest For The Cup begin!!

datsyuk4.jpg

who's injured ?

who's injured ?

Rafalski on the mend

Veteran defenseman Brian Rafalski, a big offseason free-agent acquisition for the Detroit Red Wings, suffered a hip flexor injury during a team practice Wednesday.

According to multiple reports, he will be re-evaluated Thursday, potentially putting his preseason debut on hold. Rafalski signed a five-year, $30-million deal with the Wings this offseason after spending the first seven years of his career with the New Jersey Devils.

He is expected to be paired with reigning Norris Trophy-winner Nicklas Lidstrom.

White injured; Langenbrunner, Janssen out indefinitely

While the Devils try to turn the page from losing more key players via free agency this offseason (Rafalski, Scott Gomez), the team received some bad news Wednesday.

Defenseman Colin White was hit with a puck just above his right eye during practice while defending 2-on-1s.

"His right eye is still closed because of a severe laceration over the eyelid," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told reporters. "There is concern for safety anytime you get a puck near the eye. Right now we don't know if there is any damage to the eye because of the swelling."

Meanwhile, the team also found out Jamie Langenbrunner (sports hernia) and Cam Janssen (right shoulder) both need surgery for injuries suffered last season and will be out indefinitely.

Tough outing for Lightning

Lightning center Chris Gratton left in the first period of Wednesday's preseason game against the Dallas Stars with an abrasion on his cornea. Winger Michel Ouellet later departed during the second due to a left hamstring injury. He did not return as a "preventative" measure, according to the team.

Gratton, who also had a black right eye with swelling, said he was struck by an accidental high stick. Gratton added that he was scheduled to have the eye examined and expected to know more about his playing status on Thursday.

CHICAGO -- Rookie center Jonathan Toews, Chicago's first-round pick in last year's draft, broke his right index finger Wednesday night during the Blackhawks' 4-3 preseason loss to Columbus and is expected to be sidelined about three weeks.

It was a rough night for the Blackhawks, who also lost defenseman Ryan Stokes to a severe cut on his face. Stokes was hurt in the closing minutes after he tried to check Columbus forward Jared Boll. He fell in a pile along the boards and was taken by ambulance to the University of Chicago Hospital after the game to be stitched.

Blackhawks spokesman Jim De Maria said Stokes would likely spend Wednesday night in the hospital for observation.

The 19-year-old Toews, a University of North Dakota standout who was chosen third overall in the 2006 draft, was injured when a puck struck his hand late in the second period, Blackhawks coach Denis Savard said.

Toews helped lead Canada to the gold medal in this year's world junior tournament and is expected to play for the Blackhawks this season.

Savard said he hopes Toews will return in time for Chicago's regular-season opener on Oct. 4 at Minnesota.

Some of them aren't too serious, but it always seems that the NHL never lets their people heal to 100% and they play injured all year, which in turn affects stats.

I predict the Flyers wont suck as much as they did last season.

I can't say whether or not they'll make the playoffs, but I can assure you they won't be the worst team in the league 2 years in a row.

is it really possibly for someone to ever again suck as much as the flyers did last season?

poor peter forsberg. i'm glad he got out of there before it was too late.

the Canucks injury list is disturbingly long right now... hopefully it's not a sign of a trend for the season. On the bright side, we actually have a decent number of good looking prospects who have a chance of cracking the line up for the first time in... maybe ever. Oh, and we still have that Luongo guy.

Well, maybe with another year of Hitch in charge the mighty mighty BJs have a shot at almost threatening to possibly contend for the last playoff spot this year. Almost.

Oy, what's a lifelong Capitals fan now located in Blue Jacket country to do? Wake me when its over. :unsure

I am moderately excited about the Rangers.