The Quasi-Official NHL Thread

This is worth quoting, regarding the BJs finding subs for Leclaire while he is out:

Columbus recalled goalie Tomas Popperle from the AHL on an emergency basis to back up Fredrik Norrena on Thursday against the Canucks. But he couldn't make it from Syracuse in time for Wednesday's practice, so 46-year-old goalie coach Clint Malarchuk was in goal.

Malarchuk, whose 10-year NHL career ended in 1992 before playing and coaching in the now-defunct IHL until 1997, said it was his first real action in 12 years.

When I first skimmed it, I thought they were actually putting Malarchuk on the roster for Thursday. Which would have been both cool and frightening. :omg

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

all star break is here, any surprises ?

I think my Bruins being in 7th place overall is a surprise.

Red Wings look unstoppable at 37-10

after Detriot, the west is a mess, anyone could end up at #2

the Devils & Penguins are basically tied for first, i'm kinda surprised

No Sidney for awhile, so that may cause the to drop.

Surprises for me are YES the Bruins, doing great so far (yes!) and Philadelphia is in first place. As as fan of the Central league, a surprise is that the Blues-Blackhawks-Blue Jackets are all above the .500 mark. Ovechkin with 39 goals at the half is pretty good. With that contract, thats where he should be. Pascal Leclaire -tender for Columbus has been surprising with 8 shutouts, 2.00 GAA. wow.

Surprises for me are YES the Bruins, doing great so far (yes!) and Philadelphia is in first place. As as fan of the Central league, a surprise is that the Blues-Blackhawks-Blue Jackets are all above the .500 mark. Ovechkin with 39 goals at the half is pretty good. With that contract, thats where he should be. Pascal Leclaire -tender for Columbus has been surprising with 8 shutouts, 2.00 GAA. wow.

The whole Central divison being above .500 is no surprise. Thanks to the magic of the Overtime Loss in the standings, over 90% of the league will end up above .500 (as of today, we're at 80% at or above .500). Add the OTL's to the regular losses and see if your team is still above the mediocrity mark.

This leads to my feelings on the "3-point game," when the teams go to overtime or a shootout. This has also caused an inflation in the appearance of a team's performance. Also, you'll notice teams sitting back if they're up in the 3rd period and, when tied, you'll notice those same teams doing playing for overtime. It has kind of ruined the magic. I wish it would go back to the way it used to be: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss no matter how it happens.

I love the NHL, love my Blackhawks, and still think the shootout is a commercial joke.

You mean you don't want to send Kesler, Edler and a 1st to TO for Sundin?

I hope that was sarcastic!!! I like Kesler when he's playing good, but he seems to be streaky... I'd trade him but not Edler. Edler's the best defense we got I reckon. Anyways, I had heard it was going to be Kesler and Morrison... which I am still opposed to. Either way, it's foolish to take think Toronto's problems will fix ours. Maybe we'd get more scoring if AV stopped doing things like benching Linden and then letting players like Isbister, Cowan, and Ritchie play. Then when he does let Linden play he's stuck with those two-bit players.

Who is going to watch the All Star game this weekend? My interest has wained since Bobby Lou announced he won't be there. Still don't get why they picked Hank but left Danny at home... sent Naslund or something.

Who is going to watch the All Star game this weekend?

The All-Star game is a joke. Have you heard about the re-formatted skills competition, and Young Stars game? I don't even know where to start.

All I want to know is who has the hardest shot!

I hope that was sarcastic!!! I like Kesler when he's playing good, but he seems to be streaky... I'd trade him but not Edler. Edler's the best defense we got I reckon. Anyways, I had heard it was going to be Kesler and Morrison... which I am still opposed to. Either way, it's foolish to take think Toronto's problems will fix ours.

...from following the Toronto-centric media and fans, they assume teams are lining up to throw their best at the Leafs for Sundin, so that is the kind of deal they are expecting...they also expected the Leafs to make the playoffs this year so fanatsy is kind of what drives them...

Did you see him in that shootout a little while ago? He just walked in and hammered it! That was classic.

I was there, my birthday game too!

And Leaf fans annoy me as well, not as much as Hab fans though!

It's a deep and complicated beef. I think part of it might have to do with the fact that everyone gives the Canucks, who've been in the league since 1970, shit for not winning the cup yet (however the Vancouver Millionaires and the Victoria Cougars both won the cup) yet the Leafs haven't won a cup since 67 and have never won their conference. But it's most likely due to the feelings most people from Vancouver have for Toronto. :angry I've heard a lot of Toronto fans call the Leafs "Canada's team" which is crazy talk.

But don't worry, I have nothing but love for my eastern brothers.

RayEmery.jpg

Currently public enemy number 1 in Ottawa. The guy has shown himself in the past to be an adequate - very good goalie but since getting the big contract, and subsequently losing official number 1 status, has shown himself to be adequate - adequate and become a bit of a train wreck in terms of showing up late, getting in accidents, leaving practice early, etc.

Did anyone see Rick Nash's goal from a few nights ago to win the game? It was the single most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life.

Yes. That's certainly what you call turning a team inside out. Wasn't it with less than a minute left?

BTW, I think the skills competition is the coolest part of any all star game, in any sport. :)

Yes. That's certainly what you call turning a team inside out. Wasn't it with less than a minute left?

BTW, I think the skills competition is the coolest part of any all star game, in any sport. :)

Agreed. I think they should bomb the All-Star game itself, and just have a weekend of skills competitions. Have all the guys that have a hard shot take a crack at that title, not just the players at the All-Star game. The game itself is a joke. I haven't watched it in years. None of the superstars really try, as they don't want to risk injury and nothing is on the line anyway.