• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fall is SO not here yet -- it's sunny and in the mid-eighties. The main good thing about that is that the farmer's market still has gallons of summer tomatoes, and I'm sure going to miss them when they're gone. They've been especially magnificent this year.

But other than that, I'm ready for autumn, it's gorgeous around here.

Autumn Begins in Martins Ferry, Ohio

by James Wright

In the Shreve High football stadium,

I think of Polacks nursing long beers in Tiltonsville,

And gray faces of Negroes in the blast furnace at Benwood,

And the ruptured night watchman of Wheeling Steel,

Dreaming of heroes.

All the proud fathers are ashamed to go home.

Their women cluck like starved pullets,

Dying for love.

Therefore,

Their sons grow suicidally beautiful

At the beginning of October,

And gallop terribly against each other's bodies.

yeah, people submit some awesome photos to him... I just wish it had said where, specifically, these were taken! I know it was in the general chicago vicinity at least.

As a New Englander, I was unaware the mid-west is fortunate enough to experience the full beauty of Autumn as we do here in New Hampshire. My wife and I are taking our fourteen month old daughter, Lily Mae, apple and pumpkin picking for the first time this year, and I, for one, could not be more excited.

She will also be celebrating her first in-costume Halloween this year as well

I actually went outdoors today, to see my friend Michelle play guitar and sing at an alternative energy fest on the waterfront in Beacon. As the event was right at the Beacon Metro-North station, I took the train down from Poughkeepsie. It was shockingly convenient.

Here is a boat, the Clearwater's younger brother, called the Woody Guthrie.

guthrie.jpg

Here is my friend Michelle singing. The set wrapped up with a snappy version of "Lady Marmalade."

mish.jpg

Pete Seeger, who is friends with my friend, was on the scene.

peteseeger.jpg

At the end, everybody got together for the Clearwater song, which I seemed to recall singing in grade school. Kudos to Pete - before he got involved, the Hudson was an open sewer/toxic waste pinata.

everybody.jpg

And here is a woman with two parrots. She got down and boogied, with the parrots, during the aforementioned Clearwater song.

parrots.jpg

springtime comes and the leaves are back on the trees again!

"When autumn comes you sit in your chair and you stare at the TV square" which is actually a bad thing...unless we are staring at the Wilco ACL episode. Then, we should probably be dancing around the tv square. Nice of Autumn to clear up all the leaves thus increasing sniper visibility anyway.

I think I'm ready for fall. August was enough of a scorcher to even make me--a summer-a-holic--get a little tired of it.

Fall is wonderful, except for the part about leading into winter. Winter is cute up through the first couple snowfalls, but wears out its welcome with me rather quickly.

I love autumn. I just hope we actually get one this year. It seems that all too often in recent years we've gone straight from summer into winter, or maybe had a week or so of anything that could be reasonably called "autumn."

At least there's cider. I've already been making the rounds of the local cider mills. Unpasteurized or bust!

I am one day away from completing the fall ritual of hauling of a cord of firewood -- first up the hill, then up the stairs. I've been working on it almost every day for the last 3 weeks or so -- I think I'm actually going to miss this activity.

Can't wait to be sitting in front of the woodstove, curled up with a book, a cuppa tea, fountain pen and notebook.

In the forties at night, seventies in the day -- that's my idea of perfect weather.

The next stage in the battle against upstate winter begins this week -- insulating my almost entirely uninsulated 100 year old house.

Fall is my favorite time, but it also signals the beginning of the personal war of endurance that is winter here.

I get NO trick-or-treaters -- I think they're daunted by the hill.