• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one day away from completing the fall ritual of hauling of a cord of firewood -- first up the hill, then up the stairs. I've been working on it almost every day for the last 3 weeks or so -- I think I'm actually going to miss this activity.

I've been wondering where you were (or where I was, for that matter). :cheers

:shifty I DO buy good candy of course -- ya never know.

I've been all lurky, trying to develop good study habits, which I'm pretty sure are not conducive to much VC-ing, at least in my case. So far it's working pretty well.

It's okay for me to disappear, but the rest of you need to keep up with your regular posting so I don't have to worry about you.

In the forties at night, seventies in the day -- that's my idea of perfect weather.

:thumbup I'm definitely ready for that! It's going to be 90+ again here today. Unbelievable. :ohwell

Second day of autumn, and it was in the 90s in central Missouri. :realmad My daughter and I are returning to Illinois tomorrow, and cooler weather is following. I can't wait! I want to sit on my front porch, drink coffee, knit socks, and listen to my iPod while getting chilly.

My daughter is three and a half, so this autumn is going to be lots of fun. This is also our first autumn in our new (to us - built in 1928) house. We're going to decorate the front porch and christen the fireplace (our first one ever!) as soon as it gets cold enough. I've also to got get cracking on someone's Halloween costume. She wants to be a butterfly this year. Last year, she was a spider. Next year, she'll want a muzzle of bees.

My wicked in-laws will be visiting this weekend. To keep them entertained in a way that doesn't require making awkward conversation, I think we'll go to the pick-your-own apple orchard. I made applesauce last year. Tasted fantastic, but it's a hell of a lot more work than I feel like doing this year. I've got an easy, tasty recipe for spiced apple cider jelly, which I might make once the local cider's available.

Hm. Maybe I should suggest applesauce-making to my mother-in-law. Once she gets elbow-deep, fake an emergency and bail.

October's going to be awesome! It's beautiful in this part of the world in October. Gorgeous colors along the Mississippi. Nevermind the road trip I'll be making across Missouri to see Wilco and Andrew Bird in Kansas City the weekend of the 12th! The weekend after that, which happens to be my birthday, I'll be road tripping to Memphis, which is an amazing drive in autumn. Lots of music-related fun (with absolutely no trips to Graceland!), and I'll get to see a friend who lives in Germany and only comes stateside every few years. Weekend after that, I'm throwing a Halloween party for all of my friends with kids. Apple-bobbing for the tots, pumpkin ale for the grown-ups.

I'm going to Albuquerque in October for me and my mom's birthdays. (Her 60th, my 40th.) New Mexico is nice in fall - not really colorful, but warm and sunny usually.

That's in the spring, mostly. To get the sap to run, it has to be above freezing in the day, and below at night, I am told. Glad you liked the pics!

Fall's my most favo-rite. :thumbup

I love the crisp, blue sky one day, then foggy, spooky rain the next. I'm always ready for blue jeans and making soup/stew/chili weather too. :) I really like living where I do in the fall. Right now the Flint Hills are covered in yellow wildflowers (broomweed mostly), with dots of lavender and blue (blue pitcher sage :wub). Soon the grasses will all turn and the hills will be all shades of gold, tan, browns, and rusts...with a splash of red (sumac or poison ivy) here and there. And of course the trees...just a huge fan of all things fall...pumpkin patches, apple orchards, and of course, candy! :w00t :)

Here's a pic from the other evening at sunset where you can see some of the flowers:

DSC01829.jpg

And I'll throw this one in...my son, who's 5, is a determined little photographer and insists on having a turn taking pics...I liked his perspective on this one:

DSC01821.jpg

Happy fall ya'll! :wave

DSC01829.jpg

Whenever I'm out at sunset and this color palette hits the sky, I always think that it looks like a good time for a unicorn to fly across the horizon. :D

Totally gorgeous photos and a promising junior photog you've got there!

We had some nasty thunderstorms in Columbus last night and the temps were supposed to drop down into the 70s today and for the foreseeable future, but we're still in the 80s and all the future forecast temps have inched up a few degrees, too.

I can live with that, tho. I'm just done with the 90s and humidity.

Bonfires burning bright

Pumpkin faces in the night

I remember halloween

Dead cats hanging from poles

Little dead are out in droves

I remember halloween

Brown leafed vertigo

Where skeletal life is known

I remember halloween

This day anything goes

Burning bodies hanging from poles

I remember halloween

Halloween, halloween, halloween, halloween

Candy apples and razor blades

Little dead are soon in graves

I remember halloween

This day anything goes

I remember

Bonfires burning bright

Pumpkin faces in the night

I remember halloween

Dead cats hanging from poles

Little dead are out in droves

I remember halloween

Brown leafed vertigo

Where skeletal life is known

I remember halloween

This day anything goes

I remember halloween

Candy apples and razor blades

Little dead are soon in graves

I remember halloween

This day anything goes

I remember

I play this every Halloween. I once had a "Mandatory Misfits" Halloween where I listened only to Misfits tunes all day and night.

(When I say Misfits, I mean with Danzig. I don't really do the post Danzig stuff.)

(When I say Misfits, I mean with Danzig. I don't really do the post Danzig stuff.)

:thumbup

I play this every Halloween. I once had a "Mandatory Misfits" Halloween where I listened only to Misfits tunes all day and night.

i've had a bad habit of making that everyday for the past few weeks, and not realizing it.

to me, the misfits are the only band as amazing as wilco.

i really have the hardest time deciding who to say when someone asks me my favorite band.

but hey, i post on a wilco fan board. so i guess we all know the winner.