poor places

i go through phases with wilco songs, and pretty much a different song becomes my favorite over the course of a few days or weeks. poor places has been my favorite wilco song for quite some time now. i can't get enough of it. the music is absolutely perfect, and there's not much more to be said about how well it captures the mood of tweedy's lyrics. i've come up with a few different scenarios about what tweedy's lyrics are about, but i'm curious as to what everyone else's interpretation of the lyrics are. these are by far in my top 5 for tweedy's lyrics. just amazing.

it's my father's voice trailing off

sailors sailing off in the morning

for the air conditioned rooms

at the top of the stairs

his jaw's been broken

his bandage is wrapped too tight

his fangs have been pulled

and I really wanna see you tonight

there's bourbon on the breath

of the singer you love so much

he takes all his words from

the books you don't read anyway

his jaw's been broken

his bandage is wrapped too tight

his fangs have been pulled

someone ties a bow

in my backyard to show me love

my voice is climbing walls

smoking and I want love

my jaw's been broken

my heart is wrapped in ice

my fangs have been pulled

it makes no difference to me

how they cried all over overseas

when it's hot in the poor places tonight

I'm not going outside

they cried all over overseas and it makes no difference to me

when it's hot in the poor places tonight

I'm not going outside

yankee...hotel...foxtrot

yankee...hotel...foxtrot

I think it's a song about the ongoing struggle to communicate and make connections with one another literally and figuratively. And how the struggle intensifies as the world gets bigger and crazier and we stay small. A chasm or a sea between us. I fear that the song is about what is ultimately a doomed struggle, but I think that there's hope in there somewhere.

I think it's jeff's best song and its the song that ties everything together for me on the album.

I think it's a song about the ongoing struggle to communicate and make connections with one another literally and figuratively. And how the struggle intensifies as the world gets bigger and crazier and we stay small. A chasm or a sea between us. I fear that the song is about what is ultimately a doomed struggle, but I think that there's hope in there somewhere.

I think it's jeff's best song and its the song that ties everything together for me on the album.

its definetly the song that ties the album together...the alternative lyrics are intresting as heard in the IATTBYH documentry

...the original lyrics had the line sailors sailing off in the morning to fight the war...the whole concept of our western dissconection with the poor places

seems to be part of the overall communication breakdown theme in YHF..though i do belive its more personal than social or political

like war on war and IG the lyrics are transcedent

but yea just such a great song..it just amazes me the heights jeff reached on this album lyricaly

the whole concept of our western dissconection with the poor places

seems to be part of the overall communication breakdown theme in YHF..though i do belive its more personal than social or political

like war on war and IG the lyrics are transcedent

Yeah, I think that's in there too. But I saw it as more of a personal thing (than a western thing). An acknowledgement that as the world gets bigger and crazier, the chasm gets bigger and we get separated more and more from each other. To the point that we don't care about the pain and suffering of others far away anymore. And we continue to struggle with the person lying next to us in bed. Same chasm.

Great great tune. Just my thoughts of course.

Yeah, I think that's in there too. But I saw it as more of a personal thing (than a western thing). An acknowledgement that as the world gets bigger and crazier, the chasm gets bigger and we get separated more and more from each other. To the point that we don't care about the pain and suffering of others far away anymore. And we continue to struggle with the person lying next to us in bed. Same chasm.

Great great tune. Just my thoughts of course.

i agree i think completly? i did actualy say i think its more personal

but yea i think you put it perfectly, great thought

I think this tune is one of Jeff's finest moments (so far). It seems to encapsulate the whole album in one song to me. Kinda strange though - like many of Dylan's best tunes I seem to know what it means to me without really trying to break it down.

• 5 months later...

At the end of the song, where the female voice repeats "Yankee...Hotel....Foxtrot....", does anyone have any idea where that's from?

I am curious, and a friend of mine who I just introduced to Wilco is curious. Any info/speculation is much appreciated.

At the end of the song, where the female voice repeats "Yankee...Hotel....Foxtrot....", does anyone have any idea where that's from?

I am curious, and a friend of mine who I just introduced to Wilco is curious. Any info/speculation is much appreciated.

It's sampled from the Conet Project boxset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conet_Project. Wilco actually got sued for not clearing the sample.

--Mike

You mean the actual recording? It's a Number Station recording off the Conet Project. It's supposedly a radio transmission from Mossad, Israeli intelligence.

It's sampled from the Conet Project boxset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conet_Project. Wilco actually got sued for not clearing the sample.

--Mike

Dude, beat me by, like, two seconds!

I love how he says 'my fangs have been pulled'. That always translated for me 'honey come talk to me, I'll be good this time, I'm not gonna say mean shit to you anymore'.

Maybe no one else thinks that, but the fact that one line of the lyric takes me three lines to describe in my interpretation, while being far more visual........ that means it's good.

I love how he says 'my fangs have been pulled'. That always translated for me 'honey come talk to me, I'll be good this time, I'm not gonna say mean shit to you anymore'.

Maybe no one else thinks that, but the fact that one line of the lyric takes me three lines to describe in my interpretation, while being far more visual........ that means it's good.

spot on.

i'll be harmless, because, deep down, i really am.

WOW! never looked at them that way. LOVE that idea.

That line always resonated with me and I was never quite sure why, because I don't know that I really understood it. This makes perfect sense though.

Poor Places is a current favourite of mine too.

This has always been one of my favorite wilco tunes.

Hafta say I like the KTV version a bit better, 'cept for the noisy part at the end, but i'm sure if i was actually at the show instead of my desktop i'd be rocking out.

Never really thought about the lyrics, aside from the differences i noted on the YHF demo's. Now that i do think them, they are very poetic. A little repetitive to be analyzed strictly as poetry, but then again its supposed to be a song, not a poem.

i think the "it's hot in the poor places tonight" comment is particularly discomfiting. it always brings to mind this vivid picture of a guy standing in a run down apartment looking out the window and the streets are on fire....like from a riot or something, at night. just an image that pops in my head when i hear the song.

"My fangs have been pulled"

Have to say i always heard it like Orson Welles as being stripped of power or reduced somehow. But Lost highway's version probably makes more sense.

I love that quiet organ that comes in after about two minutes.