Okay, damnit... the BRAGGING Thread

I guess I don't really have any objectively great ones, and none of my shows compare to the ones above, but here are some shows that were cool for me:

Bob Dylan, MSG November 2002 (?) -- the show in NYC soon after George Harrison had passed away. Bob dedicate the encore to George and played Something.

Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet, Town Hall (1993 or 1994?) -- I think Elvis only played a couple of shows after the Juliet Letters came out. This was one of them and was a perfect night. Most folks dont like the Juliet Letters but I always thought it was a beautiful album.

Squeeze, MSG, 1989 -- first concert ever, Katrina and the Waves opened, and Squeeze sold out MSG. Quite the trifecta.

Wilco, MSG, NYE -- first Wilco show. Not a bad way to start.

Ryan Adams, Town Hall, Dec 4, 5, 6 2006 -- 3 nights of RA& the C's. No repeats.

Phish -- Big Cypress and Coventry. :ninja

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REM at Larry's

Cool. I was there as well. First time hearing the band and to be honest they left no impression - but that was my problem. When Reckoning came out, I was all over it.

Clash in 79 - I was 15 - Couldn't get into the bars, O'Keefe as close as I ever got.

I'm pretty young and dont think I have much that would blow anyone away although these two concerts seemed pretty amazing at the time:

1) Golden Smog right after Down By the Old Mainstreem at Grand Old days a street festival in St Paul. they played in a beer garden but I stood in the alley behind the stage with about five other people and tweedy and louris would turn around and do whole songs for the people behind the stage. It blew my very young mind.

2) Alejandro Escovedo playing with a small band in a warehouse. about twenty people at the show and afterwards he tlaked to everyone and signed things and was really cool

Phish -- Big Cypress

OK, now I'm envious. Are they ever gonna release that damn thing before I'm dead and gone? :pirate

KISS- Chicago Stadium 1977 (first show ever)

Queen- Poplar Creek

Echo and the Bunnymen/Fleshtones/Billy Bragg-Bismark theater

U2- Aragon Ballroom 1984

Husker Du-Metro 1985

Devo-Rialto Movie Theater Raliegh NC

Grant McClennan-Urbus Orbis Coffee shop Chicago 2 sets w/ an unknown Jewel

OK, now I'm envious. Are they ever gonna release that damn thing before I'm dead and gone? :pirate

Haha, I had a feeling you'd pick out that one. My love for Phish ended awhile ago (actually, probably with that show), but yeah that was a special weekend. Watching the sun come up on the new millenium with 80,000 other people in the middle of the Florida Everglades was one of the coolest things ever. From 11pm to 7am. I was completely sober that entire weekend and completely delirious by the end.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - August, 1989 (Alpine Valley, WI): Not his last show, but the evening before. I got back to my room at college to hear the message on my answering machine that Stevie Ray had died. A very poigniant moment. He blew everybody off the stage that evening (Clapton, Cray, and Jeff Healey).

I saw SRV & DT at the Kalamazoo County Fair the night (or maybe 2 nights) before the Alpine Valley shows. A fantastic night after a day of elephant ears and looking at livestock. It is still the most memorable night of music I have ever experienced.

OK, here's a few that do NOT include teh GD: (all shows Indy area)

Miles Davis- front row, Clowes Hall 1987

Bowie- front row, Deer Creek 1990 - got his guitar pick

ABB- front row, Deer Creek 1990, got Betts' pick

King Crimson, The Vogue, 1984- still maybe the best show I ever saw

Zappa, The Vogue, 1984, right in front of the man - I think we freaked him out just a bit!

RHCP (w/ Hillel), some small all-ages place, 1986. God those guys were insane as hell. The opener (Thelonious Monster) still the most unprofessional piece of dog-doo band I've ever seen.

Sabbath/B.O.C. 1980 - best hard rock show I ever saw.

Ozzy (w/ Rhoads) Circle Theatre 1981 Blizzard Tour.

that's all that comes to mind right now.

Doc and Dawg in 99

Every John Prine show

Early Butthole Surfers and Flaming Lips shows

Depeche Mode in early 90's

GD senond to last shows

The Cure in early 90's

The Other Ones at Shorline Amp when pretty much every Dead family member came out

#1 might have been the Blind Melon ticket I gave away because of the flu.

Forgot this night it was Valentines Day 1992 or 3

Early Show

Matthew Sweet and Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians( Electric and Acoustic sets)-Vic Theater

Late show

My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr (definitely electric, my ears are still ringing!)-Metro

Forgot this night it was Valentines Day 1992 or 3

Early Show

Matthew Sweet and Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians( Electric and Acoustic sets)-Vic Theater

Late show

My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Jr (definitely electric, my ears are still ringing!)-Metro

Sweet Jesus - that is a lot of good music for one night!

Jet - 2006 Spaceland, LA (living room of a venue). Y would anyone be jealous? Oh... the special guests on stage included....

The backup singers from Michael Jackson's Thriller album

Chris Robinson (Black Crowes)

Slash

Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)

Flaming Lips - 2006 New Year's Eve, LA. Cat Power and Gnarls Barkley opened. Claimed to be the most balloons the Lips had ever used.

Strokes/White Stripes - Detroit, 200? - 1 of 2 shows they played together. Strokes opened up for the White Stripes.

LCD Soundsystem - El Rey Theatre, LA 2007 - Small Venue. Large Party.

hmmm... looking at the list now. not really brag worthy as others :brow

I'm too young for this!

Final Fantasy in front of 20 people. It was awesome.

Front row for Ron Sexsmith twice. Literaly 5 feet away from him.

Dead center for Wilco four times. Jeff singin right to my face. Sort of weird/surreal/awesome.

I don't have a whoole lot. I am going to see Neil Young at Massey Hall though. That will be something to brag about in 25 years as well as seeing Dylan.

I'm with you Kalle...numbers and all.

4 times front row for Wilco, got to be part of the North Hampton and Boston shows this year as the official song guesser.

I've seen Bob Dylan twice, Bruce Springsteen twice, Neil Young twice, Elvis Costello four times, Paul McCartney once, The Eagles twice. All in all I've had some pretty good concerts.

My fondest Elmo concert was Bill Nelson in 82 or 83. Not that famous a musician, but I really enjoyed that show.

Your taste is impecable. Never saw Bill Nelson but did see Be Bop Deluxe at the Gardens. Not a great place to see them but a very good show (they opened for somebody dreadful as I recall)

This is my favorite:

The Smiths-Aragon Ballroom (Queen is Dead Tour)

Also:

Grateful Dead: 7/17/1989-7/19/1989 Alpine Valley (3 days of bliss and super hot shows)

Jane's Addiction reunion tour w/surprise openers Smashing Pumpkins-Aragon Ballrom

Sonic Youth & Wilco (PBS Soundstage Taping)

Bruce Springsteen-Soldier Field '85

Pearl Jam-Soldier Field '95

Sleater Kinney-Madison Wi 2006

Grateful Dead: 7/17/1989-7/19/1989 Alpine Valley (3 days of bliss and super hot shows)

That was the best post-coma run I ever saw. :thumbup

Nice lists.

I've seen some pretty amazing ones.

Nels Cline Singers (before he joined Wilco)

Mike Watt and the Crew of the Flying Saucer (w/ Nels)

The Who, 4th row, The Kids Are Alright tour ('88, my first rock concert). People say this was one of their weakest tours. Maybe so, but you wouldn't have been able to convince me if you had told me that back then.

Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker w/ Bernie Worrell (late '80s, maybe 1990)

Traffic reunion tour (94, I think. 4th of July)

Max Roach & M'Boom w/ Dizzy Gillespie (89)

Television (early '90s reunion tour)

NRBQ, lots of times

Phish (the Atlanta Roxy show where the Gene Simmons impersonator got on stage...I'm not into Phish anymore, but this was a good show and taper websites seem to really praise this particular show.)

Derek Trucks as an 11-12 year old, numerous times.

David Bowie, Sound and Vision tour

I'm probably forgetting the best ones. Now I want to look through my ticket stub shoebox.