Okay, damnit... the BRAGGING Thread

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a kind of chronological order:

Tull -- 1974 my first rock concert. Ian Anderson in a codpiece; I was hooked.

Stones -- 1978 Soldier Field with Peter Tosh and two others I can't recall

Springsteen -- '77 at the Auditorium

Wild Tschopitoulas and a bunch of others -- chicago fest 1980

Lynyrd Skynyrd -- 1977 I think, at the Amphitheatre

Clapton '78 Chicago stadium

Cheap trick ~'78 at haymakers in palatine

New Riders of the Purple Sage '77 at the Ivanhoe

Arlo Guthrie -- Quiet Night '71 or '72

Dead '78 at the Uptown

Commander Cody -- Aragon '78 - one of the few shows I ever saw there, thankfully

Roomful of blues -- Knickerbocker '76 and '77 in Westerly RI -- they were out of control

also

Bryan Ferry '87 or so -- one of the best concerts of anyone I ever saw.

R.E.M. '87 at the Pavillion -- great show

Iggy Pop '88

I also saw Michael Jackson and Diana Ross perform "The Wiz" in '78. Wow.

One show I missed was Bob Marley in maybe '78 -- I was too tired :(

New Riders of the Purple Sage '77 at the Ivanhoe

12/7/77? I have that show if you don't have that on CD and are interested.

12/7/77? I have that show if you don't have that on CD and are interested.

Sounds about right..... Lonesome LA Cowboy is one of the best songs ever written, IMO.

Is the sound any good?

Sounds about right..... Lonesome LA Cowboy is one of the best songs ever written, IMO.

Is the sound any good?

Here's from my notes: FM (A-) High energy! Killer Nelson on "Henry".

I recall the great DN solo on Henry..very speedy and twangy ( coke?). Worthwhile.

Pink Floyd - Earls Court London 1994 (one of the best gigs I've ever been to).

Ryan Adams - Borderline, London 2006 (tiny venue, all acoustic, amazing).

Stereolab - Cardiff University, 1996 (downsized to a small back room of the university as the ticket sales had been so poor, but it was an amazingly energetic performance, never knew they could be so electric).

British Sea Power - Cambridge Boat Race, 2002 (another tiny venue, hardly anyone there, stage full of stuffed animals).

Jeff Tweedy - London, Shepherds Bush Empire (Jeff's one and only solo acoustic show in London - wow!).

"I saw the Pixies on the Doolittle tour"

now, that, i am envious of.

I saw the Pixies before they were signed.

The very first time I saw them was somewhat infamous in Pixies history. Ivo (from 4AD) had come over from England to see them play. For some reason Kim Deal couldn't make the show but they played anyway. Ivo liked them enough to sign them.

I saw the Pixies before they were signed.

The very first time I saw them was somewhat infamous in Pixies history. Ivo (from 4AD) had come over from England to see them play. For some reason Kim Deal couldn't make the show but they played anyway. Ivo liked them enough to sign them.

Actually the 1989 show that I saw them at was the Doolittle tour, as well.

And while the show that you saw, Oil Can, may not have been great, it is certainly brag-worthy. What brought you to that Pixies show? Had you heard about The Purple Tape or, did you just stumble into the club that night?

anyone here seen led zeppelin on stage?

Not me.

But I was at....LIVE AID...kind of like seeing them I guess for about 15 minutes. The place was electric with the anticipation of the mighty Zep. When he said....Does anybody remember laughter?....that was very cool.

Page Plant Both Tours, Plant like 5 times, Page Solo, Firm 2 times......

Everything but Bonzo....which is a lot.

And while the show that you saw, Oil Can, may not have been great, it is certainly brag-worthy. What brought you to that Pixies show? Had you heard about The Purple Tape or, did you just stumble into the club that night?

Some friends of mine had interviewed Throwing Muses for a fanzine (remember those?). The Muses raved about the Pixies. A month or so later Throwing Muses were playing a show at the Rat in Boston and they had the Pixies open for them. So we went ...

anyone here seen led zeppelin on stage?

Glad someone asked... yes, my 17th birthday, April 1977, Chicago Stadium. It was an amazing experience - changed my life...

best birthday ever... until this year seeing Jeff Tweedy at The Vic

I also saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Ampitheater in 1977. I think Ronnie Montrose was the opening act. Saw one of the last Skynyrd concerts before the fatal crash... Soldiers Field, with Ted Nugent and a bunch of others...

Saw Jethro Tull twice in the late 70s... loved them, I wore out my bright orange "Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die" t-shirt... what year was that, 78?

Oh - Cheap Trick at The Rialto in Joliet - 1978, still have the Rick Nielsen guitar pick in my wallet...

The Other Ones at Shorline Amp when pretty much every Dead family member came out

#1 might have been the Blind Melon ticket I gave away because of the flu.

ok first of all. shoreline is a cool place. I went to the Bridge School Benefit there last year with Pearl Jam, Dave, Brian Wilson, Trent Reznor, foo Fighters and of Course Neil Young. I can't remember who else was there. I would love to go this year. I hear Eddie Vedder and Flea are playing together and Regina Spektor is gonna be there.

Second of all, You should still kick yourself over the Blind Melon thing. I would give anything to have had that opportunity! :frusty

I have no claim to fame insofar as seeing bands is concerned. The only half-notable thing was seeing Nirvana in a tiny club in Cork called Sir Henry's. Sonic Youth were also playing that night and it was so hot and crowded that I thought I was gonna die. My mate actually had a panic attack and had to leave! Lightweight... :lol

Cryptique, I'm still freaking out that you saw The Residents. That had to be something. :thumbup

Yeah, it was very cool. The seating was odd for a Riviera show -- they had little round cocktail tables and we were all seated around them like it was some kind of nightclub. The Residents themselves were clad in all black (or maybe grey), backlit so you couldn't see their faces, and wearing tiny little lights on the sides of their heads, so they looked kind of like Jawas from Star Wars without the robes. I don't remember a whole lot from the show, except that I was awestruck and riveted throughout.

This was the Cube E tour in November 1990.

Glad someone asked... yes, my 17th birthday, April 1977, Chicago Stadium. It was an amazing experience - changed my life...

best birthday ever... until this year seeing Jeff Tweedy at The Vic

I also saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Ampitheater in 1977. I think Ronnie Montrose was the opening act. Saw one of the last Skynyrd concerts before the fatal crash... Soldiers Field, with Ted Nugent and a bunch of others...

Saw Jethro Tull twice in the late 70s... loved them, I wore out my bright orange "Too Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die" t-shirt... what year was that, 78?

Oh - Cheap Trick at The Rialto in Joliet - 1978, still have the Rick Nielsen guitar pick in my wallet...

HA! yes and the Outlaws also played that show as the opener. I remember the smoke (cig and otherwise) being so thick I could hardly see the stage.

Yes, I think that TOTRR was about '78. I saw them twice before that (both times at Northwestern McGaw Hall), and then once more in maybe '91 or something.

I missed Zep -- and then Bonzo died :ohwell

My first Wilco show a stealth gig at a small club where they performed under the name Summerteeth in order to get around their Opening For R.E.M. contract. Still the loudest show I've ever seen. Went to their first Austin City Limits taping the next day and Jeff claimed he, too, was still deaf.

Been to all three Wilco ACL tapings, and they just get better. Looking forward to seeing this most recent one when it airs next month. Better, still, was Arcade Fire's taping the previous night. Best. Show. Ever.

At SXSW several years back Neko Case and the gents from Calexico did a free dayshow for a crowd of about 150.

Negativland also puts on quite a spectacle.

Pearl Jam - 1991 Metro (Chicago); 1992 MTV Studios (MTV Unpluggled Taping)

Radiohead - 1995 Riviera Theatre (Chicago (The Bends tour))

The Who/Pearl Jam - 2002 House of Blues (Chicago)

Wilco 1995 . . . a bunch of Lounge Axe/Ottos shows

Jeff Tweedy 2006-2007 2 Living Room Shows

Smashing Pumpkins 2000 Metro (Chicago (final show))

The White Stripes 1997 My Friend's Basement in Ann Arbor, MI

Bob Dylan, State Theatre, Kalamazoo, Michigan. I couldn't believe Bob played the State ... so I made sure not to miss it. He was great.

Was this back in August '94 when Bob played the two nights? If it was, I was there for the first show. An amazing night that was only marred by two hippies getting into a fight right near center stage.

Was this back in August '94 when Bob played the two nights? If it was, I was there for the first show. An amazing night that was only marred by two hippies getting into a fight right near center stage.

Probably. I don't really remember -- it was definitely mid-'90s. I think he had a Mexican band with him or something, though I may be confusing that with a Jackson Browne show I once saw.

I was alble to see four Tom Waits shows on the Orphans tour from last year.

ATLANTA: the first night I was on the floor, dead center, behind one other person.

ASHEVILLE: the second night, I was seated, front row center.

AKRON / CLEVELAND: the last night of the tour, I caught him in Akron (seats weren't bad at all) and then lucked up and met a fellow straydog that had an extra ticket to Cleveland HOB for the final show of the tour, and I made my way up really close for that.

Seeing Tom Waits in his first club gig in like 30 years-- priceless. It's pretty safe to say that will never happen again.

b.s.