Things I think are wrong with this country

Allowing middle school girls to get birth control pills without their parent's consent is another thing I'm worried about.

I forsee infertility problems for these girls one day and also horrible, horrible periods when they stop taking the pill after however many years. Plus, what 11-13 year old girl is going to remember to take the pill every day, at the same time?

Instead of handing out the pill, they should find out why these girls are having sex in the first place. I can pretty much guarantee at that age, it's not because it feels good. It's more about getting a boy to like them. That's really sad.

i saw this in the post this morning and my first thought was, middle-school, they aren't even really teenagers yet, what 11-year old is having sex and needs birthcontrol. then i realized how times have changed and completely agree, handing out birth control might not be the solution, finding out why kids are having sex at such an early age should be the place to start. i'm not actually surprised that they are having sex at such an early age though and that really scares me, more than anything else.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allowing middle school girls to get birth control pills without their parent's consent is another thing I'm worried about.

I forsee infertility problems for these girls one day and also horrible, horrible periods when they stop taking the pill after however many years. Plus, what 11-13 year old girl is going to remember to take the pill every day, at the same time?

Instead of handing out the pill, they should find out why these girls are having sex in the first place. I can pretty much guarantee at that age, it's not because it feels good. It's more about getting a boy to like them. That's really sad.

i saw this in the post this morning and my first thought was, middle-school, they aren't even really teenagers yet, what 11-year old is having sex and needs birthcontrol. then i realized how times have changed and completely agree, handing out birth control might not be the solution, finding out why kids are having sex at such an early age should be the place to start. i'm not actually surprised that they are having sex at such an early age though and that really scares me, more than anything else.

I don't think is is such a bad idea. When I was in highschool (89-93), there were freshmen girls, coming to school with 1-2 year old babies. Lucky for them, the school had a daycare center.

Yeah the thing going on in Maine is a little sketch. I mean they won't be just handing it out in the nurses office, but they seem to be having an issue with teen pregnancy. I'd start with a really comprehensive (read as: not abinstinence only) sex-education program starting when they first enter middle school.

Handing out the pill to girls who's bodies aren't ready for the hormones that the pill provide could be dangerous. Is the pill even approved by the FDA for girls under age 18?

Plus, who is going to tell the gir'ls doctors that they are on the pill, surely not the parents because they probably don't even know. If the girl is too afraid to talk to her parents about sex in the first place, sure as hell she's going to hide the fact that she's on the pill from her doctor and from her parents. So the next time the girl is on antibiotic, is she going to be aware that the pill won't be effective? Could she be prescribed another drug that might have adverse side effects because this girl is on the pill?

What about STDs? The pill is 0% effective in preventing STDs.

Can't we just start putting that stuff in the water supply, I don't think it reacts with flouride.

Lobbies, Tax code, Insurance companies, inability to use natural resources effectively, e.g., solar, wind, etc -->see lobbies. Lobbyists prevent us from moving forward. Folks used to be able to go the white house lawn and bitch. Now you can't even join activist groups w/o being labeled a terrorist, once again --> see lobbies.

Dependence on China for cheap goods and in turn our financial dependence on them via treasury bonds. We'll be eating dogs in the US before too long. Sorry Ellen.

We'll be eating dogs in the US before too long. Sorry Ellen.

That reminds me of the opening line of a J.G. Ballard novel.

Handing out the pill to girls who's bodies aren't ready for the hormones that the pill provide could be dangerous. Is the pill even approved by the FDA for girls under age 18?

Plus, who is going to tell the gir'ls doctors that they are on the pill, surely not the parents because they probably don't even know. If the girl is too afraid to talk to her parents about sex in the first place, sure as hell she's going to hide the fact that she's on the pill from her doctor and from her parents. So the next time the girl is on antibiotic, is she going to be aware that the pill won't be effective? Could she be prescribed another drug that might have adverse side effects because this girl is on the pill?

What about STDs? The pill is 0% effective in preventing STDs.

The girls have to go to a physician or nurse practitioner to get the pills, so I assume their family doctor will know what they are on. And yes, birth control pills are FDA approved for under 18.

So, we settled for soccer. They keep score. It a tough sport. It's competetive but very team oriented. (although my oldest has been our keeper for the last 2 years which is 4 seasons so when they lose, he takes it a little personally.) They can both play on the same team which helps for scheduling. And most importantly, I like it and can watch it without ever getting bored.

The same boy I referred to earlier plays soccer, too. They don't mess around with the score or the false sense of accomplishment. Although all the kids get to run through the parent bridge deal at the end- winners and losers alike. The parents at the soccer games are a pain in the ass though. Lots of screaming at the tykes. I opt to sit at the goal lines to minimize the noise from the adults.

p.s. what in the flying fuck is a parent bridge?

I don't know if that's the true moniker for it, but it's when all the adults stand in two rows facing each other and join hands in the air so the kids can run underneath, like through a tunnel of denim. They get a big kick out of it.

The kids seem to like it, too.

Our soccer kids don't keep score until they are 8 years old. My boys like soccer, they just like baseball and football better. My 5 year old plays flag and they don't keep score. The oldest plays tackle and they keep score but don't have a first place, second place, etc. Everyone gets the same generic medal at the end of the season. It's kind of a bummer that kids don't get trophies anymore.

is your rep up for re-election? probably, with 2 year terms...hmmm...will your rep be employed after next year??? :mellow

He is up for re-election. He's republican and our district leans that way so he'll prob be okay.

I actually have one of those signed letter replies things they send out from their offices when you contact them. It's cute...he agrees with me that public broadcasting is a valuable asset and should be adequately funded.

Edit: isadorah, my rep voted against the D.C. House Voting Rights act. Sorry about that. He's nuts. I didn't vote for him. :(

I don't know if that's the true moniker for it, but it's when all the adults stand in two rows facing each other and join hands in the air so the kids can run underneath, like through a tunnel of denim.

I just threw up in my mouth.

I started playing soccer when I was in 2nd grade because i was sick of doing somersaults while playing right field. I played soccer year round all the way until my freshman year of college. My parents never played soccer so it was very easy for me to get involved in the sport without the pressures of my parents forcing athletics on me. But I grew up around these kids and more importantly there parents. I have seen some pretty crazy things in my day regarding parents acting like todlers and getting thrown out of soccer matches, some of them for yelling at there own son (I played club soccer around the chicago area there are alot of rich wack job yahoos). I guess what I am getting at is that by there senior years in highschool most of these kids were burnt out from playing and at this point their parents had soo much invested financially in their kid that they felt obligated to go on and try to play in college. Athletics should be something you choose to do and the next time you see a parent yelling at their kid or at the referee in a kids soccer match tell them to get lost.