The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New single definitely sounds like Smile/SoL era.  It's so interesting how bands find this timeless/classic sound (imho) on their first two records and then it's over.  Neither good nor bad...just different.  Those first two albums are so great. Kind of like MMJ.  First few albums have this amazing sound and songwriting then it all changes.  Not that bands have to stay the same.  I'm just rambling.  The whole creative process from writing to recording is just fascinating.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New single definitely sounds like Smile/SoL era.  It's so interesting how bands find this timeless/classic sound (imho) on their first two records and then it's over.  Neither good nor bad...just different.  Those first two albums are so great. Kind of like MMJ.  First few albums have this amazing sound and songwriting then it all changes.  Not that bands have to stay the same.  I'm just rambling.  The whole creative process from writing to recording is just fascinating.

The new one does sound like the Smile/Sound of Lies era. No surprise, I guess, since the lineup is similar. I am a fan of both creative incarnations of the band - Louris/Olsen and just Louris. Hollywood Town Hall is my favorite of theirs, but I really like Sound of Lies and Smile, too. Sound of Lies might be my second favorite album of theirs. I love "Trouble", and the run of "Sixteen Down", "Haywire", and "Dying on the Vine" is stellar. I am hooked on this new one as well. And I love the cover art. Gary said in a recent article that the cover art fits the music on Paging Mr. Proust the best since Hollywood Town Hall, and I couldn't agree more.

I like it a lot so far.  As some reviewers have said, it has a couple of great R.E.M.-like songs on it--better than most of R.E.M.'s last few records for sure.  I love the songs with Buck's guitar and/or Mills's backing vocals.  Looking forward to seeing these songs live next month.

• 3 weeks later...

Most fun I've had at a show in a while.  Gary looked / played / sounded great.  The new stuff mixed right in with the rest of the show. 

The band came out after the show and mingled and merch'ed for quite a while.  Great crowd (definitely a Friday night crowd).

13266116_1741495409458670_45932877790100

• 3 weeks later...

Finally gave Calling Mr. Proust a listen yesterday in anticipation of seeing the Jayhawks tonight.  It's a good album, some songs better than others (what else is new.) I felt the vinyl pressing was sub-par, but that is just something that happens these days I guess.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the show at Lincoln Theatre in DC last weekend and thought it was terrific.  They played almost all of the new album, plus half of Rainy Day Music, and then a song or two off every other album since Hollywood Town Hall (except Mockingbird Time, which Gary has disowned and nobody missed).  They sounded great, especially Gary's guitar. He's not Nels Cline, but he can still shred pretty good.

The opener Folk Uke was also worth showing up early for, if anyone has tix to the next few shows.  Folk Uke is Cathy Guthrie and Amy Nelson, daughters of Arlo and Willie, playing ukelele and guitar.  They sing simple, beautiful folk harmonies with really raunchy lyrics--think Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch singing songs from a South Park episode.  It was better than it probably sounds on paper.  Plus, they covered California Stars, which Cathy introduced as written by her grandfather and Wilco. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New album:

When the Dixie Chicks topped the charts for the final time with 2006's Taking the Long Way — the trio's bruised and battered tribute to nonconformity, written in the wake of Natalie Maines' controversial comments about President George W. Bush — they did so with help from several left-field collaborators. Indie-folk cool kid Pete Yorn co-wrote one track. So did Crowded House's Neil Finn. Sheryl Crow, Keb' Mo' and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' Mike Campbell all contributed songs, too.

Sharing one of the heaviest co-writing loads was the Jayhawks' Gary Louris, whose four tunes accounted for nearly 30 percent of the album.

And why shouldn't the best-selling country act of the modern age turn to Louris for help? Since forming the Jawhawks in 1985, he'd built his reputation on songs that were smart and intensely melodic, rooted in choruses that blurred the lines between rock & roll and its twangier cousins. During the decade that followed his Dixie Chicks collaboration, he'd be called upon to team up with more than a dozen other acts, quietly becoming one of Americana's unsung poster children along the way.

The Wild Feathers, Jakob Dylan, Tonic and Carrie Rodriguez have all written with Louris since 2006. Although many of those songs have already been released by those acts, they're revisited (and revised) on the Jayhawks' newest record, Back Roads and Abandoned Motels. Largely focused on new recordings of the songs Louris has written for other artists, the album doubles down on the Jayhawks' thickly-stacked harmonies and melodic muscle. Bandmates Tim O'Reagan and Karen Grotberg even sing lead on two songs each, a move that highlights the album's collaborative spirit.

"These did not feel like covers," Louris says in promotional video, which mixes interview snippets with studio footage. "These songs all felt like they were in our wheelhouse."

Leading the charge is "Everybody Knows," a kickoff single whose original version appeared on the Dixie Chicks' Taking the Long Way. Reappearing 10 years later on Back Roads and Abandoned Motels, the song's lyrics feel less like a response to the political backlash that all but halted the Chicks' momentum and, instead, read like the journal entries of an anxious Everyman who's bluffing his way through a panic attack. When the swooning, coed harmonies light up the first chorus, though, it's a moment of pure Jayhawks heaven, proof that Gary Louris often gets the last word – even when outspoken icons like Natalie Maines are involved. (Coincidentally, "Come Crying to Me" – a song written for Natalie Maines' solo debut, Mother – also appears in its own version here.)

Rounded out by two Louris originals, Back Roads and Abandoned Motels makes its debut July 13th.

Here's the track list for Back Roads and Abandoned Motels:

1. "Come Cryin' to Me" (Gary Louris, Natalie Maines, Martie Maguire, Emily Robison)

2." Everybody Knows" (Gary Louris, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison, Martie Maguire)

3. "Gonna Be a Darkness" (Jakob Dylan, Gary Louris)

4. "Bitter End" (Emily Robison, Natalie Maines, Gary Louris, Martie Maguire)

5. "Backwards Women" (Gary Louris, Joel King, Taylor Burns, Ricky Young)

6. "Long Time Ago" (Emerson Hart, Gary Louris)

7. "Need You Tonight" (Scott Thomas, Gary Louris, Kristen Hall)

8. "El Dorado" (Carrie Rodriguez, Gary Louris, Malcolm Burn, Sandra Jennifer (Sandrine) Daniels)

9. "Bird Never Flies" (Ari Hest, Gary Louris)

10. "Carry You to Safety" (Gary Louris)

11. "Leaving Detroit" (Gary Louris)