The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a bunch of listens, this is defintiely better than Rainy Day Music.

after one listen...i'm not there yet. i really like rainy day, and i don't find this one as engaging (for me). it was actually kinda flat the first time through. nothing really jumped out at me.

i will spin it some more.

The Jayhawks perform "Tiny Arrows" on Soundcheck in The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space at WNYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzuABf2ErOA

Tune in to Souncheck featuring conversation and performance from The Jayhawks on Friday Sept. 30th at 2pm on WNYC 93.9 FM or WNYC.org

Ackk there I am in the light blue shirt in the front row looking goofy...thanks for posting though! :guitar

after one listen...i'm not there yet. i really like rainy day, and i don't find this one as engaging (for me). it was actually kinda flat the first time through. nothing really jumped out at me.

i will spin it some more.

I feel pretty much the same way, except I don't particularly care for Rainy Day Music. I agree that nothing jumps out on the first listen.

It was a good listen. The allmusic review says it's the best since Hollywood Town Hall. I think Tomorrow the Green Grass is every bit as good as Hollywood Town Hall, so I disagree. Mark's songs sound a lot like his solo stuff. I don't think he was writing with the Jayhawks in mind. Not sure how I can quantify it, but it sounds more like the White Album or Warehouse: a collection of solo songs played by a band. Still always nice to hear the harmonies.

def not as good as hollywood or green grass or rainy day as far as i'm concerned. i like the titles of the tunes more than the actual songs. lyrics are kind of clunky in places...cin love? nothing too memorable. pleasant listen though.

def not as good as hollywood or green grass or rainy day as far as i'm concerned. i like the titles of the tunes more than the actual songs. lyrics are kind of clunky in places...cin love? nothing too memorable. pleasant listen though.

agreed: clunky.

The album is definitely a grower. I felt the same way on the first few listens. Pop it in the car and go for a drive. This record smokes "Rainy Day Music".

can't/won't agree with "smokes." i have tried to like this thing because i like their other stuff. there are couple tracks that are good. i like pouring rain at dawn, but other than that, it's mostly forgettable. other than that it's mostly forgettable. other than that, it's mostly forgettable. other than that, it's mostly forgettable.

sorry...i've been listening to this album trying to talk myself into liking it, and the repetitive choruses must have worn off on me. they must have worn off on me. they must have worn off on me. off on me.

I might be wrong, but I think they wrote most of the lyrics quickly. I do agree that some of the lyrics sound rushed. However, the lyrics to "Guilder Annie" and "Black Eyed Susan" are outstanding. "Black Eyed Susan" was actually part of the band's Mystery Demos from the early 90's, so that makes sense. I get the feeling "Guilder Annie" has also been around.

My initial comment to you though was concerning repetitive choruses. That's always been a Jayhawks style.

i did...but it's been quite the while. i don't remember them being clunky lyrically.

They've never been the best lyricists, though Olson has come up with some gems. The post-Olson period was pretty atrocious, lyrically. I can barely listen to Sound of Lies because of its lyrics (I listen anyway, because that record sounds great ... if you can ignore the words).

i received the record yesterday, shame on me i didnt listen to it yet. i like that it comes with a DVD.

How long does the documentary go for? My local record store has the CD-only version in stock at the moment and I'm wondering if I should hold out for the deluxe package.

Are the extras worth it?

How long does the documentary go for? My local record store has the CD-only version in stock at the moment and I'm wondering if I should hold out for the deluxe package.

Are the extras worth it?

i think the documentary is worth it alone ,and it's a trip seeing footage of them playing at the 7th street entry in 85. anyone else think "touch the stars," a bonus track, is one of the better songs on the record?

• 2 weeks later...