The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

I found this on The Jayhawks message board:

Legacy Bumps Jayhawks Reissues to Next Year

We may have only fleetingly mentioned these before, but Legacy has prepped expanded reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass, the first two records that alt-country rockers The Jayhawks recorded for the American Recordings label in the early 1990s. Hollywood Town Hall, released in 1992, will feature five bonus tracks (two of which are unreleased) while Tomorrow the Green Grass (1995) will be presented as a double-disc Legacy Edition with a heap of bonus cuts, 20 of them previously unreleased.

The discs have recently been rescheduled for reissue on January 18, 2011 – possibly one of the first notable catalogue reissues of next year – so mark your calendars accordingly. Also, hit the jump to see the track lists, which we hadn’t posted before either.

The Jayhawks, Hollywood Town Hall (American/Legacy 88697 72731 2, 2010 – originally released as Def American 9 26829-2, 1992)

1. Waiting for the Sun – 4:19

2. Crowded in the Wings – 4:55

3. Clouds – 4:51

4. Two Angels – 4:04

5. Take Me with You (When You Go) – 4:50

6. Sister Cry – 4:08

7. Settled Down Like Rain – 3:00

8. Wichita – 5:26

9. Nevada, California – 4:25

10. Martin’s Song – 2:58

11. Leave No Gold - 5:46 (U.K. bonus track – 5247200 2, 1992)

12. Keith and Quentin (B-side to “Waiting for the Sun” – Polygram 862039-2 (AUS), 1992)

13. Up Above My Head (B-side to “Waiting for the Sun” – Polygram 862039-2 (AUS), 1992)

14. Warm River *

15. Mother Trust You to Walk to the Store *

* denotes previously unreleased track

The Jayhawks, Tomorrow the Green Grass: Legacy Edition (American/Legacy 88697 72732 2, 2010)

Disc 1: Original LP and bonus tracks

1. Blue

2. I’d Run Away

3. Miss Williams’ Guitar

4. Two Hearts

5. Real Light

6. Over My Shoulder

7. Bad Time

8. See Him on the Street

9. Nothing Left to Borrow

10. Ann Jane

11. Pray for Me

12. Red’s Song

13. Ten Little Kids

14. Tomorrow the Green Grass

15. You and I (Ba-Ba-Ba) *

16. Sweet Hobo Self *

17. Last Cigarette (B-side to “Bad Time” – American Recordings 74321 27266-2, 1995)

18. Sleep While You Can *

Tracks 1-13 from original LP – American 9 43006-2, 1995

Track 14 was the U.K. B-side to “Blue” – American Recordings 74321 29613-2, 1995

Tracks 15-16 and 18 previously unreleased

Track 17 was the U.K. B-side to “Bad Time” – American Recordings 74321 27266-2, 1995

Disc 2: The Mystery Demos (all previously unreleased)

1. Pray For Me

2. Won’t Be Coming Home

3. No Place

4. Precious Time

5. Poor Michael’s Boat

6. Ranch House in Phoenix

7. Cotton Dress

8. She Picks the Violets

9. Bloody Hands

10. Up Above the River

11. Over My Shoulder

12. Blue from Now On (take 2)

13. Hold Me Close

14. Turn Your Pretty Name Around

15. You and I (Ba-Ba-Ba)

16. Red’s Song

17. Nothing Left To Borrow

18. White Shell Road

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 of those tunes on the mystery demos ended up on the olson louris album. there's also some chatter that some known songs from that period have been left off as olson and louris want them held for another olson/louris album or the potential new jayhawks album. exciting news!

• 2 months later...

suppose it's worth putting in this thread too:

The Jayhawks - 2011 Tour Dates

01/18 Toronto, ONT The Phoenix

01/20, 21 New York, NY Webster Hall

01/22 Philadelphia, PA TLA

01/27, 28 Chicago, IL The Vic

01/29 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue

and Louie, they're remastered

Aren't these albums already out?? Oh yea, outtakes, etc, so they can get our money again.

LouieB

You can see the tracklist by going back a page. As these are two of my favorite albums, I will definitely be getting the re-issues.

Okay, the Vic it is.....

(how come musicians don't correctly master their albums the first time....)

You can see the tracklist by going back a page. As these are two of my favorite albums, I will definitely be getting the re-issues.

Yea, if they show up used somewhere I will buy them too.....we are all suckers for this sort of stuff.

LouieB

Okay, the Vic it is.....

(how come musicians don't correctly master their albums the first time....)

Yea, if they show up used somewhere I will buy them too.....we are all suckers for this sort of stuff.

LouieB

can albums released in the 90s and beyond really be remastered? i'm looking forward to these none the less. HTH is one of the greatest albums ever and definitely one of the top ten albums of the 90s as far as i'm concerned. TTGG is not too far behind. Ten Little Kids, though, uh oh.

can albums released in the 90s and beyond really be remastered?

My thought exactly....remixed...maybe...but then again weren't they correct the first time.

With all these remaster reissues it is a really tough call. I played these two albums so many times when they were newer, I just don't see myself relistening to them enough to make it worthwhile, unless the outtakes really get great reviews (a la the Promise...)

LouieB

they have recorded a new album that should be finished in the next month and be out in late spring/early summer!! :D

Exclusive: Classic Jayhawks Lineup Recording First LP In 15 Years

Band is also contemplating playing 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' and 'Hollywood Town Hall' straight through in concert

jayhawks.jpg

The Jayhawks recording in November of 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Photograph by Steven Cohen

By Andy Greene

Nov 29, 2010 4:06 PM EST

When Gary Louris and Mark Olson reformed The Jayhawks two years ago they vowed never to become one of those reunited 1990s bands that tour indefinitely without new material. So in early November they entered Terrarium studios in Minneapolis to cut their first disc since 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass. "Our goal is to make the best Jayhawks album that's ever been done," Louris tells Rolling Stone. "Mark and I both feel that there is some business left undone and we got together and wrote some great songs."

The Jayhawks were one of the most acclaimed alt-country bands of the 1990s, but they never found much commercial success. "During grunge we were a little bit out there," says Olson. "We would watch musical waves come and go and we were stuck with this melody/harmony thing we've always done."

Olson left the group in late 1995 to spend more time with his family. Louris continued under the Jayhawks banner for three more albums, but he soon realized their best work was done together. "There's something that happens when Mark and I get together," says Louris. "We look at each other and realize there's a chemistry. We balance each other out and make something completely different than when we do something separately."

Louris and Olson began touring as a duo five years ago, and last year they reformed the lineup from the Tomorrow the Green Grass album for some shows. "The chemistry was still there so Olson and I decided to write some new songs," says Louris. "We went up to his sister's cabin up north and later I went out to the desert in Joshua Tree to write some more songs."

The tracks are reminiscent of their mid-1990s work. "This is a record for a true Jayhawks fan who loves Tomorrow The Green Grass," says Louris. "It's not a mirror image, but it has a lot of the same elements." One track is called "Mockingbird Time," and another is currently titled "Tiny Arrows." "That one is a bit of an odyssey, soundscape-y kind of song that starts off very desert-y," says Louris. "Then it evolves into many different parts that flow together naturally."

They plan on finishing it by the end of the month and mixing it before the end of the year; the pair hope to have it on shelves by the spring or early summer. Early next year Sony Legacy is going to re-release 1992's Hollywood Town Hall and 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass, and the group will do some shows to promote them.

They are also contemplating performing the discs straight through at the shows. "I'm mulling it over," says Louris. "It's been suggested that if we do two nights in a place to do one the first night and the other the second. We haven't agreed to it yet."

But Olson has some doubts about the idea. "It feels a little bit like a strict regimentation of presentation to me," he says. "But if that's what people said we should do and they really wanted us to then I'd be open to it."

Unlike many reformed bands, they don't have a massive sales history to live up to — which suits them just fine. "Lots of groups are trapped by their own success," Olson says. "They have huge, mega-selling albums and it's hard for them to come up with new songs that'll override the old songs. But we're gonna try to override the old songs. We've stuck with this kind of music and stuck with it and stuck with it. I've decided that I want to continue to play with Gary for the rest of my life and I think this is gonna be our time. Wish us luck."

they have recorded a new album that should be finished in the next month and be out in late spring/early summer!! :D

Exclusive: Classic Jayhawks Lineup Recording First LP In 15 Years

Band is also contemplating playing 'Tomorrow The Green Grass' and 'Hollywood Town Hall' straight through in concert

jayhawks.jpg

The Jayhawks recording in November of 2010, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Photograph by Steven Cohen

By Andy Greene

Nov 29, 2010 4:06 PM EST

When Gary Louris and Mark Olson reformed The Jayhawks two years ago they vowed never to become one of those reunited 1990s bands that tour indefinitely without new material. So in early November they entered Terrarium studios in Minneapolis to cut their first disc since 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass. "Our goal is to make the best Jayhawks album that's ever been done," Louris tells Rolling Stone. "Mark and I both feel that there is some business left undone and we got together and wrote some great songs."

The Jayhawks were one of the most acclaimed alt-country bands of the 1990s, but they never found much commercial success. "During grunge we were a little bit out there," says Olson. "We would watch musical waves come and go and we were stuck with this melody/harmony thing we've always done."

Olson left the group in late 1995 to spend more time with his family. Louris continued under the Jayhawks banner for three more albums, but he soon realized their best work was done together. "There's something that happens when Mark and I get together," says Louris. "We look at each other and realize there's a chemistry. We balance each other out and make something completely different than when we do something separately."

Louris and Olson began touring as a duo five years ago, and last year they reformed the lineup from the Tomorrow the Green Grass album for some shows. "The chemistry was still there so Olson and I decided to write some new songs," says Louris. "We went up to his sister's cabin up north and later I went out to the desert in Joshua Tree to write some more songs."

The tracks are reminiscent of their mid-1990s work. "This is a record for a true Jayhawks fan who loves Tomorrow The Green Grass," says Louris. "It's not a mirror image, but it has a lot of the same elements." One track is called "Mockingbird Time," and another is currently titled "Tiny Arrows." "That one is a bit of an odyssey, soundscape-y kind of song that starts off very desert-y," says Louris. "Then it evolves into many different parts that flow together naturally."

They plan on finishing it by the end of the month and mixing it before the end of the year; the pair hope to have it on shelves by the spring or early summer. Early next year Sony Legacy is going to re-release 1992's Hollywood Town Hall and 1995's Tomorrow The Green Grass, and the group will do some shows to promote them.

They are also contemplating performing the discs straight through at the shows. "I'm mulling it over," says Louris. "It's been suggested that if we do two nights in a place to do one the first night and the other the second. We haven't agreed to it yet."

But Olson has some doubts about the idea. "It feels a little bit like a strict regimentation of presentation to me," he says. "But if that's what people said we should do and they really wanted us to then I'd be open to it."

Unlike many reformed bands, they don't have a massive sales history to live up to — which suits them just fine. "Lots of groups are trapped by their own success," Olson says. "They have huge, mega-selling albums and it's hard for them to come up with new songs that'll override the old songs. But we're gonna try to override the old songs. We've stuck with this kind of music and stuck with it and stuck with it. I've decided that I want to continue to play with Gary for the rest of my life and I think this is gonna be our time. Wish us luck."

this is really exciting. especially mark's quote about playing with gary the rest of his life. can't believe it's taken this long. when i saw them back together in 05 i was sure something new was on the horizon. next summer 2011 might be pretty amazing with a new DBT in a few months a jayhawks album and probably new wilco and jay farrar records. hard to keep up sometimes:)

btw- that pic is very cool, especially karen playing a rhodes:)

Blue is the tm presale password in case anyone is wondering!