The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not for me... that record is timeless to me. sounds like it could have come out in 1974.

plus i just love his voice to death as well (honestly, dig it more than Mark's on his solo & Creekdippers stuff)

lyrically i can't say i ever felt that strongly either way about Tim's (neither great nor bad), so i'll probably agree with you there. Mark's always been the strongest lyricist in the band.

the opening track (These Things?) still kills me... that song sounds like a stroll in Paris

I've been listening to The Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers' Zola and the Tulip Tree.

I forgot how great that disc is. I think I'd now put in the top 5 on the all-time best Louris/Olson/Jayhawks-related cd.

It requires a liking of Victoria Williams voice, which might be a big road block for some. But the cd is very beautiful and has a pure, old-timey feel to it. Songs about some woman's garden, some guy named Cedric Harper, memories of riding the Custom Detroit Railroad and sweet but somehow non-cheesy songs of love. This cd may be Olson at his best....on songs like "Skip To My Lou" and "Into the Yard."

And John Convertion and Eric Heywood lend a big hand to help make the songs sound great.

Mark Olson and Gary Louris were terrific last night at The Annandale Hotel in Sydney.

Sublime harmonies. Played for over 100 mins. Did all my favourite Jayhawks songs as well as stuff from their recent album. Highlights for me were Over My Shoulder, Two Angels, and Waiting for the Sun.

They were funny as well - dry and a bit sardonic - the Becker and Fagan of alt-country!

• 1 month later...

Blimey, this is an education...my Jayhawks knowledge stops at Hollywood Town Hall, Tomorrow The Green Grass, Sound Of Lies & Rainy Day Music, all of which I enjoy immensely for differing reasons...seems there's a lot more I need to find!

You almost have them all. I think they are going to re-released this year.

1986 The Jayhawks

1989 Blue Earth

1992 Hollywood Town Hall

1995 Tomorrow the Green Grass

1997 Sound of Lies

2000 Smile

2003 Rainy Day Music

I thought i'd look the Anthology up on the Best buy website, just for the heck of it, and i found out that they will have an exclusive 5-track EP along with the CD/DVD set. The set itself is apparently a limited edition. I'll be picking this one up for sure.

Best Buy Jayhawks ad(top of page)

Thanks for posting. It looks like they're even cheaper than Amazon, who I usually order from. The exclusive EP seals the deal.

what's a cd? :)

actually, i think some of that stuff is out of print and hard to get...zola, political manifest, etc.

After seeing Olson and Louris here in Sydney I decided to seek out the Creekdippers' back catalogue. However, they are hard to find. I've had some luck on Ebay. I was trying to buy them in chronological order but, alas, had trouble finding 'Pacific Coast Rambler'. The first album, though, is quite beautiful.

I am not too fond of buying used cds, but sometimes it may be the only way to get what you want.

Amazon has used copies of Pacific Coast Rambler listed for 2 bucks.

Amazon also has The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers for 10 bucks (used).

Also, here is a link to the Mark Olson cds listed at Amazon.com

The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers (1997)

Pacific Coast Rambler (1998)

Zola And The Tulip Tree (1999)

My Own Jo Ellen (2000)

December's Child (2002)

Mystic Theatre (2004)

Political Manifest (2004)

The Salvation Blues (2007)

I was able to find the CD/DVD/Bonus Disk version last night at Best Buy for 20 bucks. Or I should say, I followed the dude around the store until he finally found a copy for me. I don't know why in the hell they have the same product in three places, but I got it, so what the hell. Everybody Gets By is a great song.

I bought the new Son Volt, Wilco, and The Jayhawks all at the same time last night. I figure I will probably play The Jayhawks release the most. For me, they are tops, along with Uncle Tupelo, and Blue Mountain, of course.

Also - the booklet is great, a lot of text to read, and some great notes on the unreleased songs.

DISC ONE: Two Angels / Ain’t No End / Waiting for the Sun / Martin’s Song / Clouds / Settled Down Like Rain / Blue / I’d Run Away / Over My Shoulder / Miss Williams’ Guitar / Trouble / Big Star / The Man Who Loved Life / Smile / I’m Gonna Make You Love Me / What Led Me To This Town / Tailspin / All the Right Reasons / Save It For a Rainy Day / Angelyne

DISC TWO: Falling Star (from Bunkhouse Album, 1986) / Old Woman From the Red Clay (alt version) / That’s the Bag I’m In (KFAI recording) / Won’t Be Coming Home (early demo) / Stone Cold Mess (HTH outtake) / Mission on 2nd (demo) / Lights (from Sweet Relief album, a classic!) / Darling Today (Blown Away soundtrack) / Break My Mind / Get the Load Out (both “Bad Time” B-sides) / Poor Little Fish (alt version) / Someone Will (Live from Woman’s Club) / Cure for This (this and all the rest are from the band’s rehearsal studio, 1999-2001)/ I Can Make It on My Own / Rotterdam / Follow Me / In the Canyon / Tailspin (alt version) / I Think I’ve Had Enough (Louris home tape) / Help Me Forget

DVD (with Deluxe package only)

Waiting For The Sun (music video) / Settled Down Like Rain (music video) / Take Me With You (When You Go) (music video) / Hollywood Town Hall EPK (20 minutes) - includes full live versions of "Settled Down Like Rain," "Reason To Believe" and "Take Me With You (When You Go)," filmed at the Metro in Chicago on February 14, 1993 / Blue (music video) / I'd Run Away (music video) / Big Star (music video) / Sound Of Lies EPK (7 minutes) / Save It For A Rainy Day (music video)

If you are planning on buying the deluxe version of the anthology (2 CD/1 DVD), then you should be aware that Best Buy is adding an exclusive bonus CD with 5 more songs (see track list below). Best Buy also seems to have the lowest price - $19.99 (total of 45 songs on 3 CDs plus the DVD).

1 Nine Stitches

2 Everybody Gets By

3 Boston Maid

4 Faded Memory

5 Desperate Serenade