The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

Man you guys are tough! Granted I'm nothing close to a die hard Jayhawks fan. I own everyting they have done, but I never lived and breathed them. I really got interested around Sound of Lies and Smile. I know that is bass ackwards. Anyway, I think Sound of Lies is really strong when you dive into it, and I'm not sure what stupid lyrics piss you off, but there are no new Son Volt Jay Farrar stupid lyrics on there IMHO. Also Ten Little Kids is sweet and playful. Cmon guys, it's only rock and roll. I kid, OH, the new album was meant to be a Simon and Garfunkel type thing and so it is quite and slow but with a few exceptions these are some solid tunes.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you guys are tough! Granted I'm nothing close to a die hard Jayhawks fan. I own everyting they have done, but I never lived and breathed them. I really got interested around Sound of Lies and Smile. I know that is bass ackwards. Anyway, I think Sound of Lies is really strong when you dive into it, and I'm not sure what stupid lyrics piss you off, but there are no new Son Volt Jay Farrar stupid lyrics on there IMHO. Also Ten Little Kids is sweet and playful. Cmon guys, it's only rock and roll. I kid, OH, the new album was meant to be a Simon and Garfunkel type thing and so it is quite and slow but with a few exceptions these are some solid tunes.

I suppose if you started out with the first one, and then bought them in the order they were released, you might have a reaction similar to the way some people look at Sky Blue Sky.

Smile is really a Bob Ezrin record, and if you like his sound, I guess you can accept that record more easily. I am not a fan of his work.

Anyway, I think Sound of Lies is really strong when you dive into it, and I'm not sure what stupid lyrics piss you off

I didn't say they piss me off. They're just bad.

Which ones? Pretty much all of them. There are a few rare exceptions.

Saw the guys last night in Columbia MO. For someone who has only seen the later Jayhawks live, it was a nice evening to hear the earlier stuff live (esp in a stripped down setting). They played most of the new album with about 6 old Jayhawks tunes, one song off of Rainy Day, and one cover of I Still Miss Someone. Solid night, sounded great. I will note however that Mark Olson isn't much of a picker. Gary is a talent on guitar, but didn't know Mark was just an average player.

i am 4ish hours away from seeing them. this should be good

ed : It was a great show.

I guess you Chicago people know that Autumn Defense is opening for Mark and Gary at the Park West tomorrow night... :)

They did???...oh yea....I remember....

The show was great. Mark and Gary were completely on, singng great, telling funny stories, etc. Nice time.

LouieB

saturday's show in mpls was great. one complaint though, marc's mic was so much louder. my fiancee said the same thing & she isn't a music nerd like most of us. other than that, it was well worth it.

Same issue in Columbia, Marc's guitar and mic were both louder. Not terribly so, but enough for me to notice his sloppy guitar playing. Seriously though, this was a small quibble. They were on and put a nice evening of solid tunes.

circa early '95

Gary, Mark, Tim, Karen, Perlman (maybe a few other players, idk)

same as in Spain last fall

i must be one of the few people who find Rainy Day Music as my favorite post-Olson Jayhawks record...

sure Smile & Sound of Lies both have a few amazing songs (Think About It is a top 5 Jayhawks song for me...), but both were inconsistent. RDM maybe doesn't have the highs of those, but the overall sound and flow of it works very well for me. plus i adore Tim O's voice.

yeah, tim's voice and gary's voices work well together. there is a continuity with that on rainy day music. RDM is about 4 songs too long though....like most records these days.

"See Him On the Street" and "Anne Jane" are also not on par....I've heard this record so often, I have a routine now of what songs I skip.

I agree about the Lennon/McCartney comparison. I have a sense that Olson (Lennon) writes better pure songs or structurally knows what goes into making a great song. And Louris (McCartney) has the pop sensibility, guitar chops and quirkiness in his song ideas to give songs life. But their ideas seem to work best when together.

nice elucidation!

Tailspin is so gorgeous... and i can never get enough of Stumblin' Through The Dark and All The Right Reasons

and while it's a total CSNY ripoff, i always dug Madman for some reason.

Madman is sooooooooo awesome. i just love that shit! 3 part harmony with just a guitar and minimal production. wish there was more music out there like that!

the other thing about RDM is that he production is so warm. love the way Johns makes the bass sound so 60s.

i can confirm that the show i downloaded had minimal percussion, but no guests when they played here

not in Columbia either

Now don't be alarmed, but can anyone you went to the show with confirm the appearance of this women? :ohwell

my wife and the sound man :stunned

:yes

no more neil avatar cortez?