The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did???...oh yea....I remember....

The show was great. Mark and Gary were completely on, singng great, telling funny stories, etc. Nice time.

LouieB

I was at the Park West and the Autumn Defense show was easily the worst live performance I've ever seen. The Olson/Louris performance lacked energy and focus. Not a very impressive night of live music to be sure.

I was at the Park West and the Autumn Defense show was easily the worst live performance I've ever seen. The Olson/Louris performance lacked energy and focus. Not a very impressive night of live music to be sure.

Pillow Pants, is that you???? :ohwell

• 4 weeks later...

There's an article on Gary & Mark in the new Acoustic Guitar magazine. They aren't mentioned on the cover, and I haven't read the article yet, but I thought i'd throw that out there since there are a number of fans of those guys here.

Jayhawks Reuniting For Summer Shows

Mark Olson and Gary Louris are back in harmony with the Jayhawks.

April 02, 2009 02:41 PM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

The Jayhawks, the lauded Americana band originally from Minneapolis, are reuniting their mid-90s line-up for a pair of summer shows, with plans to play together more next year.

The band is set to headline the Basilica Block Party in Minneapolis on July 10, marking the first time the Jayhawks will play with both principals Gary Louris and Mark Olson in the United States in over a decade. The band is also booked for the Primavira Sound '09 Festival in Barcelona, Spain on May 30.

For the band's first decade, the Jayhawks were defined by the harmonizing and the co-writing of Olson and Louris. But Olson departed following the band's tour behind 1995's "Tomorrow the Green Grass."

Louris and Olson remained estranged until October 2001, when they convened at Olson's home in Joshua Tree, Calif., to write a group of songs for the 2002 film "The Rookie." While they were never used in the film (one appeared on Olson's 2002 album "December's Child"), that session eventually led to a series of live shows over the past few years, and eventually a new acoustic album, "Ready for the Flood."

"Ready for the Flood," produced by Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson, was recorded in Los Angeles in January 2007, but wasn't released until earlier this year. The duo is about to embark on a West Coast tour before heading off for dates in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

"We've both been playing a lot the last couple of years," Olson tells Billboard.com. "Gary had a solo record. I had a solo record. And then we made this record together and we've been touring on that. During the course of this time we'd been contacted by some promoters in Spain. There's quite a fan base there, its a place where they played the Jayhawks records a lot. We played at a festival is the Basque region last August.

"That was the first time I'd played with the Jayhawks in over 10 years. It was really fun. It was Karen [Grotberg] and Tim [O'Reagan] and Marc [Perlman] and Gary and me. We played pretty much all of "Hollywood Town Hall" and "Tomorrow The Green Grass."

"I have some friends in Spain who were very persistent about getting a Jayhawks show there and they really wanted the 'Green Grass' lineup," says Louris, who owns a house in Spain and splits his time between there and Minneapolis. "Since Mark and I are now buddies again, and the fact that Karen is now willing to do some shows because now her daughter is old enough for her to leave for periods of time, its just become more viable."

While Louris and Olson focus primarily on new material on their acoustic tours, the prospect of regular Jayhawks gigs gives them an opportunity to revisit the earlier, fuller sound of the band and breathe new life into some of their classic songs.

"Our approach right now is to look forward. Olson and I have a record out, we're going to record another, maybe make solo records and do the Jayhawks occasionally," Louris explains. "I think the plan is that we're going to play festivals, next year we're hoping to play Bonnaroo and things like that. We'll see if it grows from there. I don't know how much Karen can tour, or how much any of us want to do a full band tour. As far as recording together, we don't have any plans to do that. But if we continue to do it and we're just loving it, then of course you need new songs."

Mark Olson & Gary Louris acoustic tour dates:

April 6: Seattle, WA (Triple Door)

April 7: Portland, OR (Aladdin)

April 9: San Francisco, CA (Great American Music Hall)

April 10: Santa Cruz (The Crepe Place)

April 11: Los Angeles, CA (Largo At The Coronet)

April 12: Solana Beach, CA (Belly Up)

April 13: Tucson, AZ (Club Congress)

April 15: Santa Fe, NM (Santa Fe Brewing Company)

April 17: Dallas, TX (Sons Of Hermann Hall)

April 18: Austin, TX (Antone's)

The Jayhawks tour dates:

May 30th: Barcelona, Spain (Primavira Sound '09 Festival)

July 10: Minneapolis, MN (Basilica Block Party)

Wow. I may have to take advantage of those cheap Southwest fares and visit my Minneapolis friends that weekend...

How many bands are typically added? $70 seems a little steep for the 2-day pass.

ive been to the Basilica Block Party once before, the summer after Sound of Lies came out, one of the hottest nights to see a Jayhawks show. nearly fell over from heat. Those are some nice bands at the show, the lineups have gotten better since i last went. Good for them.

July 10th, i think i can make that show!!!

woohoo!

For a block party? Yeah. Pitchfork is $75 for three days and that's like 40 bands. And even something like Lolla might cost twice as much, but you're certainly getting twice as much bang for your buck, too.

i think of it more as an outdoor concert. considering the twin cities really doesn't get any (the zoo i guess & sometimes the minor league stadium). i'll gladly pay $75 to see the crowes/hawks/hold steady outside in minneapolis in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, it'd clearly add up to more than $80 if you went to see each of those bands separately, but for a summer street festival I think that's kind of pricey, unless a lot more bands are added.

my apologies if this has been done before, but i'm just getting into the jayhawks (i've had rainy day music for a while and always enjoyed it, but never got any of their other albums) and the related side/solo projects.... and was wondering if some longtime fans could help me put together a list of their favorite jayhawks tunes

my top 3 so far..... save it for a rainy day, i'm gonna make you love me, all the right reasons

what are your favorites??

my apologies if this has been done before, but i'm just getting into the jayhawks (i've had rainy day music for a while and always enjoyed it, but never got any of their other albums) and the related side/solo projects.... and was wondering if some longtime fans could help me put together a list of their favorite jayhawks tunes

my top 3 so far..... save it for a rainy day, i'm gonna make you love me, all the right reasons

what are your favorites??

You should get the rest:

1989 Blue Earth

1992 Hollywood Town Hall

1995 Tomorrow the Green Grass

1997 Sound of Lies

2000 Smile

yeah, id say the whole jayhawks discography is required listening. after all, rolling stone does consider them one of the 100 most influential bands (or something like that.)

but yeah. im totally going to this festival. jayhawks, black crowes, counting crows and the fucking hold steady. what more value do you need? i bet theres gonna be tons of local acts too. anything that comes out of minneapolis rules. (even prince)

also, tim o reagans album rules. i dont think this has ever been discussed here. one of my favorites.