The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

i think it would be cool if artists put out a tight, 10 song album and then released and ep of outtakes or whatever 6months to a year later. it would keep fans happy and be more product to sell.

Exactly. Everyone's a winner. Although bands like My Morning Jacket put out, generally, sprawling 70 minute records and then put out an EP aswell!!. Quality control people!! Taking My Morning Jacket as a good example I could improve both 'At Dawn' and 'It Still Moves' significantly by reducing them down to about 45 minutes. It no surprise that their best record is 'Z', which is relativly short and consise.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Everyone's a winner. Although bands like My Morning Jacket put out, generally, sprawling 70 minute records and then put out an EP aswell!!. Quality control people!! Taking My Morning Jacket as a good example I could improve both 'At Dawn' and 'It Still Moves' significantly by reducing them down to about 45 minutes. It no surprise that their best record is 'Z', which is relativly short and consise.

good point about Z. great record cause it's short. as far as ready for the flood goes, i've broken it down into 5 song chunks. makes it more doable. really digging it. both great lyricists.

At Dawn & It Still Moves are both better than Z by a country mile for me, regardless of their length.

It Still Moves seems like a long record, but it only has 12 songs. 12 long songs :)

and since this is a jayhawks thread...ready for the flood is pretty good. nothing visceral or too memorable, but great lyrics and i like the under production.

The Bunkhouse record is now streaming on the Lost Highway site. Sounds pretty nice. Brings back lots of memories to the early days of the Jayhawks, The Black Crowes, Wilco and Grant Lee Buffalo. They were the ones that did it for me back then. All still putting out great music.

http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/artist/detail.aspx?nid=2700&aid=187

Jawhawks videos from 1985

Here are a couple of early Jayhawk's videos that were just made available! The sound quality of these videos isn't great but it's a nice snapshot of the band in the early days of their evolution.

Their super rare first record will be re-released next Tuesday, May 18th.

Here's more info about the new release:

For the first time on CD, the self-titled debut album from the highly-acclaimed, alt-country pioneers The Jayhawks will be released on May 18th by Lost Highway. The Jayhawks (often referred to by fans as The Bunkhouse album) was originally released in 1986 on Bunkhouse Records, with a pressing of only 2000 vinyl copies. Fans not fortunate enough to own a copy of The Jayhawks will be happy to know that it will finally be available on CD, and again on vinyl for the first time in nearly 25 years.

The Jayhawks reissue will include an eight-page booklet with new photos from the recording period and a new essay by Jayhawks co-founder Mark Olson about album producer and then band manager Charlie Pine. The tracks are the original thirteen songs that appeared on the album, including “Falling Star”, which recently resurfaced on Music From The North Country: The Jayhawks Anthology (American Recordings/Legacy Recordings) in 2009.

The 1986 incarnation of The Jayhawks featured Mark Olson (vocals/guitar), Gary Louris (lead guitar/vocals), Marc Perlman (bass) and Norm Rogers (drums). After listening to The Jayhawks, it is clear why the band became a catalyst in the evolution of what would eventually be coined alt-country. The album has more in common with Gram Parsons and The Flying Burrito Brothers than it does with later Jayhawks classics Tomorrow The Green Grass and Hollywood Town Hall.

Outside of The Jayhawks, Olson's work has far exceeded Gary's. "The Salvation Blues" is an excellent record and Mark's records under The Original Ridge Creek Dippers are all excellent. Gary's solo record is mediocre and Ready for the Flood is scattered. Gary works much better with others. Mark works great both ways.

I bought Vagabonds when it came out. I gave it a few spins but I didn't like it. To me, it was boring and I feel like Louris fits better in a band than on his own.

Outside of The Jayhawks, Olson's work has far exceeded Gary's. "The Salvation Blues" is an excellent record and Mark's records under The Original Ridge Creek Dippers are all excellent. Gary's solo record is mediocre and Ready for the Flood is scattered. Gary works much better with others. Mark works great both ways.

thanks. i am really digging the olson louris record lately. never gave it much time when it came out. gonna check out vagabonds despite these reviews :)

thanks. i am really digging the olson louris record lately. never gave it much time when it came out. gonna check out vagabonds despite these reviews :)

I really like Vagabonds - more than Ready for the Flood to tell you the truth. It's got sort of an adult contemporary feel, but it's quite beautiful in my opinion.

I don't actually own any of Mark's solo stuff. I can only take so much of his voice. I'm not sure I'd enjoy listening to Mark without Gary harmonizing with him.

I bought Vagabonds when it came out. I gave it a few spins but I didn't like it. To me, it was boring and I feel like Louris fits better in a band than on his own.

Vagabonds is really self indulgent. Gary is one of the most talented guys in music, but he seems to need a whip-cracker to properly edit his stuff. I agree he works best with others. If you took the best songs from all the post-Olson Jayhawks albums you'd have a really nice record. GAry has penned some really fine tunes since Olson left. However, those abums are really inconsistent. I think Mark's work post Jayhawks has been inconsistent as well(Political Manifest Mystic Theater), but he definitely seems more capable of crafting a more consistent record. Look at My Own Jo Ellen, Decembers Child, The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers and The Salvation Blues for proof of the man's brilliant output.

Ready for the Flood is a mind boggling album. You would think that the reunion of Olson/Louris would produce a masterpiece. Unfortunately, the project was saddled with the dopey Chris Robinson as producer, and you get the feeling all these guys did was sit around and smoke weed, tipping wine glasses. The album needed a real producer. The Jayhawks best work was under slave driver George Drakoulias. You have to be in a really melllow mood to "get" RFTF. I remember coming back from the Lolo National Forest last year, pimped out on all that fresh air, relaxed as anyone could possibly be, and the album hit home a little bit.

I'd like to see the boys drink some red bull next time out and put away the ganja.

Gary was supposed to play a solo show last night about 2 miles from my house. It got canceled, which kind of sucks. Oh well.

I agree about RFTF--it's pretty lethargic, so it's not really a record for active listening, if that makes any sense. But last summer, on a warm-but-not-too-warm day, I listened to it through headphones on my hammock in the back yard, and it sounded great.

I really like Vagabonds - more than Ready for the Flood to tell you the truth. It's got sort of an adult contemporary feel, but it's quite beautiful in my opinion.

I don't actually own any of Mark's solo stuff. I can only take so much of his voice. I'm not sure I'd enjoy listening to Mark without Gary harmonizing with him.

yeah, mark's voice is an acquired taste to some extent. his solo stuff is quite good. creekdipper stuff has some great songs and mark's voice is in check. i like the first one.

Vagabonds is really self indulgent. Gary is one of the most talented guys in music, but he seems to need a whip-cracker to properly edit his stuff. I agree he works best with others. If you took the best songs from all the post-Olson Jayhawks albums you'd have a really nice record. GAry has penned some really fine tunes since Olson left. However, those abums are really inconsistent. I think Mark's work post Jayhawks has been inconsistent as well(Political Manifest Mystic Theater), but he definitely seems more capable of crafting a more consistent record. Look at My Own Jo Ellen, Decembers Child, The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers and The Salvation Blues for proof of the man's brilliant output.

Ready for the Flood is a mind boggling album. You would think that the reunion of Olson/Louris would produce a masterpiece. Unfortunately, the project was saddled with the dopey Chris Robinson as producer, and you get the feeling all these guys did was sit around and smoke weed, tipping wine glasses. The album needed a real producer. The Jayhawks best work was under slave driver George Drakoulias. You have to be in a really melllow mood to "get" RFTF. I remember coming back from the Lolo National Forest last year, pimped out on all that fresh air, relaxed as anyone could possibly be, and the album hit home a little bit.

I'd like to see the boys drink some red bull next time out and put away the ganja.

some good points. i've had a hard time getting into smile and sound of lies. i just think that on his own, gary goes pop all the way. it's funny how it took two producers for rainy day music to be good:) as far as olson and louris together, i think their rock days are behind them. i do miss gary's electric guitar though. nice mix of clarence white and neil young :thumbup

Gary was supposed to play a solo show last night about 2 miles from my house. It got canceled, which kind of sucks. Oh well.

I agree about RFTF--it's pretty lethargic, so it's not really a record for active listening, if that makes any sense. But last summer, on a warm-but-not-too-warm day, I listened to it through headphones on my hammock in the back yard, and it sounded great.

i think that if the jayhawks are one of your top 10 favorite bands, and you really give it attention, ready for the flood is great album.

• 2 weeks later...

Jayhawks founder Olson recalls Bunkhouse debut

Has anyone heard the re-release? How is the sound?

I have not seen any release dates for the re-masters of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass. I have to say those are two of my favorite albums of all time.

yes, i lost my copies at some point and have been holding off getting them and waiting for the remasters. i would think fall, if not next spring.

Jayhawks founder Olson recalls Bunkhouse debut

Has anyone heard the re-release? How is the sound?

I have not seen any release dates for the re-masters of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass. I have to say those are two of my favorite albums of all time.

The Bunkhouse album is out now. I have an LP version waiting for me at Lauries. Glad it finally got reissued. When I listen I will report back.

LouieB

• 3 months later...

I've not seen the tracklists yet but there is a review of the Legacy editions of both HTH and TMGG inthe most recent Uncut magazine. The review is pretty sparce but it makes reference to nearly 30 bonus tracks. The TTGG bonus disc features the '18 Mystery Demos', recorded circa 1992 which is apparently a Basement Tapes type set. Looking on Amazon it says they are due in October 2010 but currently unavailable. Really looking forward to hearing these as I felt the Music from the North Country was a really strong retrospective featuring a wealth of great unreleased material.

and.......it looks like there will be a NEW jayhawks album in the future.

http://www.americana-uk.com/auk/modu...29&page_id=370

Q: Okay, so here's the obvious question on everyones mind; is there going to be a new Jayhawks album in the future?

A: I definitely think it's going to happen. Right now it's just about working out the time, but I definitely think there'll be a new Jayhawks album. I look forward to be doing both things right now, my own records and working with The Jayhawks.

Wow!!