The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm sure I've said countless times before, Sound of Lies is a terrific sounding album, but those lyrics ...

You have said this before, and I never get where you are coming from. Jay Farrar lyrics post original Son Volt (shudder) Sound of Lies (mor) nothing more or less?

You have said this before, and I never get where you are coming from. Jay Farrar lyrics post original Son Volt (shudder) Sound of Lies (mor) nothing more or less?

Try again, in English this time?

The lyrics on that album are some of the worst I've ever heard. Clich

I noticed that in the most recent thread, there is talk of Sound Of Lies. It's interesting how all most all Jayhawks threads contain a discussion on the merits or failures of that album. I was thinking about this the other day, when I heard read something where yet another band from those days voiced their displeasure at being called alt-country. It's amazing to me how almost all of the bands from that time have distanced themselves from that genre. For me, I quit being interested in the music when they turned away from twang.

We all have our preferences and likes/dislikes, yes?

Sure, I get that. I don't see why those bands you mentioned should complain about whatever they were labelled though. It got them a fan base of sorts and from there they were entitled to do whatever they pleased, twang or not to twang as it were.

I noticed that in the most recent thread, there is talk of Sound Of Lies. It's interesting how all most all Jayhawks threads contain a discussion on the merits or failures of that album. I was thinking about this the other day, when I heard read something where yet another band from those days voiced their displeasure at being called alt-country. It's amazing to me how almost all of the bands from that time have distanced themselves from that genre. For me, I quit being interested in the music when they turned away from twang.

Not every band is capable of evolving into other genres or styles. The Jayhawks were definitely one of them. That's Olson's fault though. He simply left the band which allowed that to happen.

All of the post-Olson releases have some excellent tracks, but they are INCREDIBLY inconsistent with some real clunkers.

I was incredibly excited for the Olson/Louris reunion album Ready for the Flood, but sadly it turned out to be a weed session between Olson, Louris and Chris Robinson(who hasn't been relevant since 1994). The album lacks any kind of energy at all - and that's a shame because the material they had was outstanding. It's just way underproduced and poorly executed for the sake of capturing a "raw" vibe. The song that Olson and Louris did on Olson's 2003 solo album December'sChild called "Say You'll Be Mine" is superior to anything on Ready For the Flood and does indeed have vitality and energy. The same can be said for Olson's 2008 solo album The Salvation Blues.

I'd liek to see these guys get back into the studio, but this time bring a task master and some Red Bull instead.

I didn't care for the album, so I did not buy it. I don't agree with all of your comments though. They certainly did change. And although I don't really care for Sound Of Lies, I would rather hear that album than Smile. I am just glad I got to see them back in the day.

Top 4

HTH

TTGG

Blue Earth

Sound of Lies

We have to throw in Olson's solo work(and the new Olson/Louris album) as well as the Louris solo album in this to be fair,and I will rank them all:

1. Hollywood Town Hall

2. Tomorrow The Green Grass

3. Blue Earth

4. My Own Jo Ellen

5. The Salvation Blues

6. December's Child

7. The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers

8. Pacific Coast Rambler

9. Ready for the Flood

10. Bunkhouse

11.. Rainy Day Music

12.. Zola and the Tulip Tree

13. The Sound of Lies

14. Political Manifest

16. Smile

17. Vagabonds

18. Mystic Theater

I didn't care for the album, so I did not buy it. I don't agree with all of your comments though. They certainly did change.

Yes they did. For the worse. Any band can change, only some can change witha positive result (As was my point).

I still prefer Blue Earth, Hollywood Town Hall, and Tomorrow The Green Grass above all the rest. Much like Ryan Adams, their earlier work has more raunch, which they seem to have put aside as time went by.

I still prefer Blue Earth, Hollywood Town Hall, and Tomorrow The Green Grass above all the rest. Much like Ryan Adams, their earlier work has more raunch, which they seem to have put aside as time went by.

isn't this true w/ 99% of artists though?

We have to throw in Olson's solo work(and the new Olson/Louris album) as well as the Louris solo album in this to be fair,and I will rank them all:

1. Hollywood Town Hall

2. Tomorrow The Green Grass

3. Blue Earth

4. My Own Jo Ellen

5. The Salvation Blues

6. December's Child

7. The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers

8. Pacific Coast Rambler

9. Ready for the Flood

10. Bunkhouse

11.. Rainy Day Music

12.. Zola and the Tulip Tree

13. The Sound of Lies

14. Political Manifest

16. Smile

17. Vagabonds

18. Mystic Theater

I prefer the Mark stuff to but you're being awful harsh on Gary here.

I like Mark's solo stuff as well as the Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers. But those HRCD albums are a little hit and miss. For example, on Pacific Coast Rambler, the Mark-dominated songs (Give My Heart To You, Pacific Coast Rambler, and Call the Light) are exemplary. But there's also some pretty lame and/or uninspring stuff like Elijah or Welcome Home Jim.

I agree overall that Gary's lyrics are very mediocre (or worse), but Sound of Lies has so many great sounds (including Gary's great voice), that it makes for a better listening experience than pretty much all of Marc's solo stuff or the HRCD. I'd rank Smile a little higher, again because it's got some really cool sounding songs. Rainy Day Music I'd rate lower...it has a few terrific standouts, but is just flat overall.

My top 5 from that list would be:

1. Hollywood Town Hall

2. Tomorrow the Green Grass

3. Sound of Lies

4. Blue Earth

5. My Own Jo Ellen

You should deifnitely listen to some of Olson's solo work then. Check out My Own Jo Ellen and The Original Harmony Ridge Creek Dippers:

http://www.lala.com/#search/my%20own%20jo%20ellen

http://www.lala.com/#album/72339069015066470

Much better records than Sound of Lies, Smile and Rainy Day Music. While Louris is a great talent, he really headed for the middle of the road adult contemporary sound.

personally, gary louris is the reason i got into the jayhawks in the first place. mark olson never really did it for me, although i love the jayhawks stuff he was involved in.

vagabonds rules, i think its the best thing gary louris has ever done. i cant wait for the next one.