The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound Of Lies is kinda lush production and a bunch of sad and beautiful songs.  Smile is perhaps over-produced (Bob Ezrin) and inconsistent.  Rainy Day Music is more acoustic and stripped down, produced by Ethan Johns.  Its beautifully recorded but I'd wait for the remaster, there was some issues with the mastering that made it over-saturated/peak-clipped.  The songwriting on Rainy Day Music is very consistently great, IMO.

I'd recommend both Sound Of Lies and Rainy Day music, but if you are only getting one, it depends on whether you prefer a fuller pop sound or something more acoustic and rootsy.  You can't go wrong with either one, though.

Thanks for that. I'll wait for the remasters but I like your description of Rainy Day Music. I might start with that. I think I'll most likely end up getting all of them, though.

I was a huge fan of HTH and TTGG when they came out, and I was bummed when Olson left the band. The shows during the HTH tour were particularly fantastic. Then I saw them on the Sound of Lies tour, with Kraig, and they rocked out. It was a much heavier sound, and I liked it. A lot. I'd go see this tour in a heartbeat.

I liked what Kraig brought to the band in terms of his guitar sound. I thought Kraig's work in Golden Smog was great, too.

Rainy Day Music is a great album. I am not so much a fan of the other two. At some point these guys are going to have to come to terms with the fact that fans want to see the Jayhawks, not so much Louris or particularly Olsen solo (he can barely fill a small room.) Maybe Olsen makes enough off royalties but it seems to me he should be happy to part of a band doing both eras of material.

LouieB

• 3 months later...

I saw them at Shepherd's Bush last night - the sound wasn't great but they played tightly and for nearly 2 hours. The highlight was a beautiful rendition of Tampa to Tulsa - I think I need to check out Tim O'Reagan's album!

Of interest for the future of the band - someone shouted out 'what about a new album?' and Louris said 'we have to make up for putting out that last one that was a stinker, this is the apology tour'. Which I guess could be interpreted as they might have another go at an album that Louris is happy with, but I sort of got the feeling that he felt a bit burned and this might be it...

That is a great song.

I guess they are down on the last one. I have not listened to it in a long time.

I initially thought I liked it, but haven't listened to it in a LONG time.  I guess I liked the idea of a Louris/Olson Jayhawks LP more than the reality.

I stumbled across this, which is fairly explicit about the future of the band

"I felt burned out after that last time, and I did not like that record at all," he says. "It takes away from our catalogue."

"I love that we are now playing some songs we haven't done in ten or 15 years, or at all," he says. "But I don't know how I'm going to feel in six months. I don't want to make [new] Jayhawks music or keep the band going out of desperation."

"And I'm working on all kinds of crazy stuff," Louris adds. "Solo music. Side bands. Producing. Teaching. Like Marconi on acid! The Jayhawks may never be my No. 1 focus. But what a gift it is to have it."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2014/07/head_jayhawk_gary_louris_flyin.php?page=2

Anyone on the fence about these reissues should get them because A) it puts some money in Gary Louris' pocket and Gary Louris is an American treasure and 2) the sound on Rainy Day Music is vastly superior to the original CD issue, which was crazy compressed and audibly distorted at times. I mean, the brickwall thing has been a problem for a while, but at least it makes a tiny bit of sense for loud rock music or hip-hop or whatever, but clipping and distortion on an acoustic Jayhawks record? Insanity. The new iteration rights a 10-year wrong. 

H2H and TTGG are undisputed masterpieces, no doubt (though H2H is spottier than most people want to admit), but I'll take Louris-led 'Hawks just about any day. SO happy to hear he's taking control of the legacy again. Mockingbird Time isn't awful, but there can't be more than five songs from that album that I kept on my iPod. It's like Blue Earth or Bunkhouse to me. Heretical though it may seem to many other die-hard fans, I just don't consider that stuff canon. Give me the Louris trinity (and throw in the gorgeous Vagabonds as well) over the twangy, Parsons-lite stuff any day. Really hoping to see the reformed late-90s line-up again.

Anyone on the fence about these reissues should get them because A) it puts some money in Gary Louris' pocket and Gary Louris is an American treasure and 2) the sound on Rainy Day Music is vastly superior to the original CD issue, which was crazy compressed and audibly distorted at times. I mean, the brickwall thing has been a problem for a while, but at least it makes a tiny bit of sense for loud rock music or hip-hop or whatever, but clipping and distortion on an acoustic Jayhawks record? Insanity. The new iteration rights a 10-year wrong. 

H2H and TTGG are undisputed masterpieces, no doubt (though H2H is spottier than most people want to admit), but I'll take Louris-led 'Hawks just about any day. SO happy to hear he's taking control of the legacy again. Mockingbird Time isn't awful, but there can't be more than five songs from that album that I kept on my iPod. It's like Blue Earth or Bunkhouse to me. Heretical though it may seem to many other die-hard fans, I just don't consider that stuff canon. Give me the Louris trinity (and throw in the gorgeous Vagabonds as well) over the twangy, Parsons-lite stuff any day. Really hoping to see the reformed late-90s line-up again.

I used to be all about Louris Jayhawk input now I am about the Olson stuff. I love Bunkhouse and Blue Earth every single song. I feel like those songs are more unique. Don't get me wrong I love all the Jayhawks do but 9 out of 10 times I pick up one of the first three albums to spin.

• 1 month later...

it is sad.  their acoustic tour was excellent, but the reunited jayhawks was not the greatest.  olson was totally phoning it in when i saw them and there wasn't one keeper on that last album.  i'm def interested in a new olson album.

it is sad. their acoustic tour was excellent, but the reunited jayhawks was not the greatest. olson was totally phoning it in when i saw them and there wasn't one keeper on that last album. i'm def interested in a new olson album.

I sorta agree however tiny arrows is great!

I sorta agree however tiny arrows is great!

Tiny Arrows might be the one keeper.  If the songs had been a bit more concise, it would've been a better album.  Ready For the Flood was excellent.

Wow, what a shitty interview for Olson to give in the run up to those big hometown shows!

Well, if Louris really did break his promise, why would you expect Olson not to speak his mind when asked? Would you expect him to bite his tongue for the benefit of those who had stabbed him in the back?  I'd say it is far shittier of Louris to do what he did. from an outsider's perspecticve, of course.  Who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

• 1 month later...