The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

I got the new album in the mail today. I noticed that there was a sticker on the front that stated "limited deluxe edition" - just like the new Wilco album. I don't recall seeing that before. I wonder how many are being made, and why they have made them limited.

I noticed a typo in the cd booklet. The song Closer To Your Side is listed as Closer To Your.

Edited by Analogman
  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not have high expectations for this record, so maybe my liking it so much is related to lower expectations coming into it. The run of Tiny Arrows-She Walks in so Many Ways-High Water Blues-Mockingbird Time is as good, to me, as any of their earlier work. And I love a number of their earlier records.

• 10 months later...

Gary's doing a solo tour (from jambands.com):

Jawhawks singer/songwriter/guitarist Gary Louris has announced a solo tour featuring a set of songs spanning his entire Jayhawks and solo career. The tour begins on September 21 in Three Oaks, MI, marking the first slate of truly solo dates for the prolific Jayhawks frontman.

“It’s amazing to look back on all of the material over the years, says Louris. “I’ll perform as many Jayhawks favorites as time permits but I will also mix in solo material. This tour will probably light a fire to get my next solo record going . . . I’ve been neglecting the working musician part of my career. I always look at the Jayhawks days with great fondness, nothing has changed there, but it’s time to get myself back to working on new material while I’m on the road.”

See below for the full list of dates.

Gary Louris Solo Dates

09/08 St. Paul, MN—Concrete & Grass Music Festival

09/21 Three Oaks, MI—The Acorn Theater

09/22 Ann Arbor, MI—The Ark

09/23 Evanston, IL—Space

10/03 Milwaukee, WI—Shank Hall

10/04 Chicago, IL—City Winery

10/05 Bloomington, IL—Castle Theatre

10/06 Dekalb, IL—Otto’s

10/07 Stoughton, WI—Stoughton Opera House

10/17 Oklahoma City, OK—Blue Door

10/18 Tulsa, OK—All Soul Acoustic Coffeehouse

10/19 Dallas, TX—Kessler Theater

10/20 Houston, TX—Mcgonigel’s Mucky Duck

10/21 Austin, TX—Cactus Café

11/01 Fairfield, CR—Stageone

11/02 Northampton, MA—Iron Horse Music Hall

11/03 Londonderry, NH—Tupelo Music Hall

11/04 New York, NY—City Winery

11/06 Cambridge, MA—Club Passim

11/07 Bayport, NY—Grey Horse Tavern

11/08 Sellersville, PA—Sellersville Theater

11/09 Vienna, VA—Jammin’ Java

11/10 Annapolis, MD—Rams Head Tavern (Matinee)

Hope a Nashville date gets added. I've seen a couple 'Hawks-less Gary shows and they are always awesome. As heretical as it may be, I think I prefer his tenure as bandleader to when the Univoice was in charge (though HTH and TTGG are basically perfection). He's one of the very best we have and one of the few that I will make a point to see anytime he's in town. Here's hoping he gets us another "Vagabonds" soon. That album was stunning.

Hope a Nashville date gets added. I've seen a couple 'Hawks-less Gary shows and they are always awesome. As heretical as it may be, I think I prefer his tenure as bandleader to when the Univoice was in charge (though HTH and TTGG are basically perfection). He's one of the very best we have and one of the few that I will make a point to see anytime he's in town. Here's hoping he gets us another "Vagabonds" soon. That album was stunning.

Not heresey to me. I love Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass but the stuff Louris did after Olson left, especially Sound Of Lies, was pretty fantastic to my ears. I think Rainy Day Music is a perfect Jayhawks album, blending all facets of their sound over the years into one cohesive style.

And, as sad as I am to feel this way, I think Mark Olson's return has ruined The Jayhawks. I seriously hate that new record and for me, its just unlistenable. I don't know what happened to Olson's music since 1994, but I just cannot stand it. The Louris Olson shows, to my ears, were not good and the Jayhawks shows, even with Karen and Tim in the band, are just as bad. I love Louris' music and I just want to hear him/see him play without Olson. The Vagabonds show I saw in Chicago with Eric Heywood on pedal steel was so good.

Got my ticket for the 9/23 Gary Louris show in Evanston as soon as they went on sale! I have long been a fan of the Jayhawks (especially Hollywood Town Hall) and saw them in the spring at the Vic. Thought they sounded great, but have nothing to compare it to, since it was the first time I've seen them.

Thanks for the head sup Analogman! I'm not in the Jayhawks loop these days but a Louris solo show should be a good bet.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Gary Louris this evening (and he was seriously excellent). A few observations to share:

1. Gave a shout-out to Jeff Tweedy when playing their co-written Golden Smog song "Listen Joe" (also played Golden Smog's "Jennifer Save Me")

2. Just an observation: First song he did was from his solo album. Song called "True Blue" containing this lyric:

Rusty wire,

bent to make a fence,

rows and rows of houses,

cold and still,

until tomorrow

Does the "rows and rows of houses" part sound familiar to anyone:)

3. I'm officially convinced that Gary Louris is the center of the Jayhawks sound I love so much.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I think Smile is spotty, with some fantastic stuff (Break In The Clouds) and some not-so-great stuff, but Sound Of Lies and Rainy Day Music are great almost all the way through, IMO.  They already released some outtakes on their box set a couple years ago and there was also that bonus EP that came with some copies of Rainy Day Music, so I wonder what is left for bonus tracks on these?

so I wonder what is left for bonus tracks on these?

In order to re-sell these records to us fans they will find some I am sure. I wish I wasn't so cynical about this, but I am getting a bit tired of all this. I just don't know how much more money all recording artists think they can squeeze out of us. I am more than happy to buy outtakes, but having to rebuy the same tracks in order to get them is just too much.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago, the Jayhawks changed the image on their facebook home page to show the former Louris-fronted lineup, which I found interesting.  Last weekend, I was watching an old Austin City Limits with that lineup (quality is not too hot, but they still sound great):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTE_y6SEUs

Hoping for a full-blown Jayhawks tour in the near future.

There are hints and rumours on the Jayhawks message board from people who are definitely in the know that there will be Jayhawks shows without Olson to coincide with the reissues of Sound Of Lies, Smile and Rainy Day Music.  Gary just did an acoustic duo show with Karen in Rochester Minnesota last month.  Also Mark Olson has said in interviews that the Jayhawks are "defunct".  I think that means the ill-fated reunion of the classic original lineup is defunct and that he won't be involved in these upcoming shows.  The question is will the line up include Kraig Johnson on guitar.  This says that Marc Ford will open a show, wow!  http://www.sagegateshead.com/event/the-jayhawks

i think RDM is a great album and when Louris and O'Reagan sing together it's great.  I was not impressed with the last album or the last tour.  Olson just seem to be going through the motions.  The acoustic reunion was great though.  As were Olson's last few solo albums.

I have always thought that the reformed Jayhawks should have made room for the non-Olsen material. That way everyone could have been happy and the fans could have gotten a bit of both periods.

LouieB

From the Jayhawks' facebook page:

They say that there is no going back. They say that you can never go home again. But we are sure the hell going to try. Karen Grotberg, Tim O’Reagan, Marc Perlman, Gary Louris, and Kraig Johnson are thrilled to dive back into the darkness of Sound Of Lies, the joyous pop of Smile, and the simple elegance of Rainy Day Music. The Jayhawks are currently booking shows for Summer and Fall 2014 in the US, Canada and Europe in support of the upcoming expanded reissues of those 3 classic albums. Come along for the ride.

I am so stoked for this!  As much as I love Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass, the Louris-Olson reunion was disappointing to me.  I LOVE Rainy Day Music and Sound of Lies and the thought of getting a whole setlist based around those records with Gary, Tim, Marc and Karen doing the vocals (did Kraig sing?) is like a drink of water after a long desert trek or something like that.  Might have to make a trip to the Midwest for this one, it'd be cool to see them in Minneapolis.