The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After occasionally looking at this thread over the years, and hearing them now and again on the last independent radio station in Greater Boston. .. I have taken the plunge and bought a ticket for Somerville Theater (night before Wilco on NY) But great concert music always seems to come in waves so yep I will be hitting both.

Carry on

After occasionally looking at this thread over the years, and hearing them now and again on the last independent radio station in Greater Boston. .. I have taken the plunge and bought a ticket for Somerville Theater (night before Wilco on NY) But great concert music always seems to come in waves so yep I will be hitting both.

Carry on

Nice I am seeing the Jayhawks on Tuesday in NYC at Town Hall then the Wednesday Capitol Theater show so I too will be doing this duo back to back! Will be fun!

Cool Pic !

I was intrigued by the "Wilco Towers "

Not to by hijack thread but this also relates to subject in above Jayhawks tweet

http://www.avclub.com/video/chicago-the-wilco-towers-57336

Really enjoyed that look at how this became the YHF album cover!  It's an iconic image to a lot of us, and probably because of the geometric, graphical nature of the image they describe in the video.  Thanks for sharing.

I like that The Jayhawks are playing a few Golden Smog songs in their sets. With Kraig Johnson back in the band, those songs fit well in their show. Looks like they have been playing "Looking Forward to Seeing You", "Jennifer Save Me" and "Until You Came Along" most recently.

I am a fan of all of their lineups/sounds/eras. There is something about their sound when Kraig was with them in the late 90s that I liked - they got a harder edge with the extra electric guitar that I found appealing.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like there's a new Jayhawks record coming, with the Sound Of Lies-era lineup.  Count me in.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gary-louris/gary-louris-and-friends-72715-setlist/10153442544249827

And they are recording with Peter Buck, with a spring 2016 target for release.

https://www.facebook.com/jayhawksofficial/photos/a.197659083591434.51048.196510573706285/1054238964600104/?type=3&theater

Heard Tomorrow the Green Grass at the record store last weekend (yes, we still have one!).  That record and Hollywood Town Hall are so damn good!  Too good.  I hope the new album is more in the vein of Rainy Day Music.  I'm not sure what happened with that last record.  Seemed to have so much potential, but it basically broke the band up again.  Olson says he wants nothing to do with Louris.  Olson has a new record out.  Some good songs, but the production is a little weird with his girlfriend's vocals all reverbed out.  I still love some of Olson's Creekdipper stuff.  Oh, and I hope Tim gets a few tunes on the new album.  Love his voice and songs.  His solo album is excellent.

Yeah, I remember hearing that too. I wonder what the story is there.

Olson says Louris hit on his girlfriend/future wife. Apparently, it's an alt country tradition for the less talented member of a duo to make wild accusations and nurse grudges like John Boehner nurses a Scotch bottle.

I saw their set at Lockn' (by way of Youtube). I didn't think it was that great. I don't know who those two guitar players were - but do they need 3 people playing guitar? I guess we will see how it goes when the new album comes out. 

• 3 months later...

never got to see the jayhawks proper, but have loved their music since hollywood town hall (esp. that album and tonorrow the green grass). did get to see gary and mark play together as a duo on their tour for ready for the flood in 2009. excellent show and album. too bad their personal differences seem to preclude any near-future collaborations- maybe time can heal some wounds...

Olson says Louris hit on his girlfriend/future wife. Apparently, it's an alt country tradition for the less talented member of a duo to make wild accusations and nurse grudges like John Boehner nurses a Scotch bottle.

:rotfl

Keeping the Jayhawks name for whatever group wants it has always seemed strange to me, but the Gary alone group is very very good. 

LouieB

It's still three original members (Gary, Karen, and Marc) plus Tim has been there since 1997. I see you point though. To me it is best with Mark and Gary. Although I do like that album Rainy Day Music. I am not sure if I will buy the new one or not. 

• 1 month later...