Were You Ever In A Cover Band?

i originally grew up on the jersey shore, where, between springsteen and bon jovi -- and to a lesser degree, Frank Sinatra, and Pat DeNunzio from The Smithereens -- it was a foregone conclusion that we were all destined to be superstar performers.

demo tape gods abounded..

the shore had and i'm sure still has its share of cover bands, too.

circa 1983

picture the local roller skating rink doing zero business in the summer and compensating via Battle of the Bands.

eight different bands, all teenagers from neighboring middle schools, all playing a different variety, or wuss-level of 'metal.'

to decide the "winner," after each band played a 20-min set, it got a one minute jam and accompanying cheer to gauge fan response... there was supposedly an "applause meter" -- but no one ever witnessed firsthand a device that gauged decibels... we were on to them.

each band had a 10x20 area to set up their rented P.A. system, a drum riser, whatever.

most just set up amps flat on the floor; perhaps a platform for the drumkit.

the one band i'll never forget.

Rancient.

yup, Ancient with an R in front of it.

they were terrible but worth watching because they went for the gusto with their designated space and erected a two-story high stage (i am not kidding or exaggerating) which needed a ladder to ascend. It was basically just a big platform up on stilts and bucked and swayed yet miraculously didn't crumple to the floor killing several.

particularly hysterical were their most loyal followers who got right up front and wrenched their necks looking straight up, rockin', rather than take a few steps back.

Fallen Angel

death metal outfit in the vein of Venom, dudes were like 14, 15 yrs old but the singer was like 40...

should have won it by sheer balls.. the owner of the place had gotten on the mic just as FA was going on and reminded everyone of the strict conduct to be adhered to in this family establishment, etc., and any band that cursed was immediately disqualified, etc.

so of course they designated a guy who sat on the wall behind the drummer, who frequently shouted obscenities into the drummer's overhead boom mic between songs. actually screamed F--U!!!! right as they counted off the first song.

hysterical.

they went on to become Lethal Aggression (who had attained some minor-league level fame in NJHC circles).

Exodus

yup. we were Exodus the crappy metal band before Exodus the crappy metal band was Exodus.

i got the name out of the bible. gimme a break, i was 14.

it was the second thing i opened to; Deuteronomy just didn't roll off the tongue.

oh gawd, we played Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest and Fast as a Shark by Accept, or we tried to.

i soon thereafter found God [Jerry] while remaining members went on to become heavy metal moondoggies Winged Assassin. but they were dirty, birkenstock-wearin' hippies soon thereafter.

years later (89-91) we reformed except as herb-smoking, blotter-licking bohemians...

just a fun party band.. covers of note were I Want You (She's So Heavy), Come On Pt. 2, Let it Grow.

only non-'metal' band and eventual winner [can't remember the name] played Something For Nothing [Rush], Carry On My Wayward Son and The Ocean and everybody [fans of all the losing bands] booed them... too funny.

originally grew up on the jersey shore, where, between springsteen and bon jovi -- and to a lesser degree, Frank Sinatra, and Pat DeNunzio from The Smithereens -- it was a foregone conclusion that we were all destined to be superstar performers.

the shore had and i'm sure still has its share of cover bands, too.

Jersey is cover-band central! From time to time I do sit in with Garcia Later, a bunch of friends who play Dead songs, and a few of them are actually in my band.

Since you are a shore native, I am proud to tell you I was just nominated for 2 (and perhaps a third one coming) Asbury Music Awards!

I was in a Yes cover band and we had two sets: set 1 - The Gates of Delirium set 2 - Ritual. :lol

I'm totally joking here (of course).

Seriously though, I did play in a nice little garage band that did a lot of Crazy Horse, Stones, Dylan etc. Easily the best band I've played in was a jamgrass-style group that did some Steve Earle, Todd Snider and a shitload of YMSB. The centerpice of our sets was looong versions of Dawn's Early Light> Two Hits (and the joint turns brown). The mandolin player was a real muthafucka.

Formed a cover band for one hometown Christmas gig, we where pretty terrible but had lots of fun. I'd love to have an oldies cover band someday, or a tribute band, maybe Booker T and the MG's., or of course the Dead.

Yo Jerseymike, pretty cool about the nominations!

I was in a cover band in the musical "mecca" of Lafayette, Indiana. If I recall correctly, a normal setlist consisted of:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

Comfortably Numb

Creep (the STP one)

Heart Shaped Box

Take it Easy

Small Town

Old Love

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Running on Faith

Needless to say, that was a confused band which broke up within three months.

I was in a Yes cover band and we had two sets: set 1 - The Gates of Delirium set 2 - Ritual. :lol

I'm totally joking here (of course).

I played on a duo recording with Patrick Moraz (from Relayer era Yes) were we covered John Cage . . .

I'm not joking here, but mine doesn't count cause I'm a dickhead . . .

. . . the 'act' on before (track 1) was Kronos Quartet, they covered Cage to, but it doesn't count cause Cage wrote the piece for them . . .

. . . come to think of it they (Kronos) covered Glenn Kotche to, but whoops they comissioned it, doesn't count . . .

i sometimes play in a cover band with a guy from jersey, he says, all the songs we play are original, it's just that we didn't write most of em . . .

i'm trying to get him to cover some wilco . . . but he's from jersey and his head is harder than mine . . .

i've been in semi-retirement... most recently played in a Joe Strummer Tribute show in early 2003 with a band called Bad Apples.

I have done Johnny Appleseed and Janie Jones at rehearsal... but never while playing out.

I played in an originals band and loved to throw in some off-beat kick ass convers Soul Asylum style... The guitar player/singer wanted nothing to do with the covers (because he didn't write them).

T. Rex Jeepster was another favorite warmup/soundcheck... as was the ZZ Top song Just Got Paid (not to be confused with the N'Sync or Johnny Kemp songs of the same name, even though I tried to throw in the Kemp version at a few rehearsals because of the FUNK)

I could do a Clash tribute show or two... I think I would enjoy that.

Anyone need a terrible bass player??

i originally grew up on the jersey shore, where, between springsteen and bon jovi -- and to a lesser degree, Frank Sinatra, and Pat DeNunzio from The Smithereens -- it was a foregone conclusion that we were all destined to be superstar performers.

Southside Johnny called me and he's pissed that you left him off the list of Jersey artists who "made it"...

The Asbury Jukes are outside your house right now with baseball bats.

was in a cover band for two years or so in college--we got to play exit/in in nashville a couple of times, then another one after law school. tunes were all over the map. Lots of fun though...

i'm currently in an original heavy alternative band (No Resolve) AND a cover band (7 Million Jigawatts ). the cover band just kind of fell into my lap a few months ago, and we make very good money. that's really the only reason i'm in it. it's my first cover band experience. the other members are awesome musicians, but i'm running myself ragged with this schedule (i'm also on four hockey teams). WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?!

Eventhough my band is an original band (or lack therof...) we usually close our show with a cover. We have done a wide range of tunes:

Whats So Funny Bout (Peace, Love...)

Waiting for the Man (VU)

Big River (Cash)

Folsom

Long As I Can See The Light (CCR)

Dead Flowers (Stones)

Rocks Off (" ")

Friend of the Devil (The Dead)

Good Hearted Woman (Willie and Waylon)

Highway to Hell (AC/DC)

Summer Days (Dylan)

Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You (Dylan)

Like A Rolling Stone (Dylan)

Mess Around (Ray Charles)

Heart of Saturday Night (Waits)

Man In Me (Dylan)

Ooh La La (Faces)

Oh Sweet Nuthin (VU)

Sweet Virgina (Stones)

Shape I'm In (The Band)

I Shall Be Released (Dylan/The Band)

...as long as they're easy!

I recorded a demo for a 50-something cover band and stayed in contact with them. They eventually asked me to play guitar for them, which I'm still doing. Truly, it's probably the best band I've been in. Lots of Beatles, the Band, CCR...those kinds of tunes. Super Fun.

Never in a cover band, but we've always sprinkled covers into our sets- somewhat of a necessity during the three or four set bar gigs we frequently played when first starting out. A selection:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young

Meet Me In The Morning; Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You; Tough Mama; Isis; I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Bob Dylan

Are You A Hypnotist; Waitin' for a Superman - Flaming Lips

Five Years; Rock & Roll Suicide; Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

Cut Your Hair; Grounded; Trigger Cut - Pavement

Hot Sauce - Son Seals

The Grobe - Ween

Echoes; Fat Old Sun; Country Song; Fearless; San Tropez; Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd

One Way or Another - Blondie (the girls always love it)

Sexx Laws - Beck

Tomorrow Never Knows; I've Got a Feeling; Why Don't We Do It In The Road? - Beatles

Doreen - Old 97's

Don't Do It - The Band (based on their version)

Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?; Dead Flowers; Sweet Virginia; She's So Cold - Rolling Stones

Psycho Killer - Talking Heads

Hotel Yorba - White Stripes

We've done a few covers on a whim, usually learned at rehearsal the day of a gig and played once or twice- stuff like White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, Hey Ya by Outkast, and Hymn 41 by Jethro Tull... I've probably played about 150 covers at one time or another.

Echoes; Fat Old Sun; Country Song; Fearless; San Tropez; Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd

Nice. It's always been a dream of mine to play in a Floyd cover band. If I ever win a million bucks in the lottery I'd buy some really bitchin' equipment and get down to it!

I was in a cover band the past three years. Our final gig last year probably had 250+ in attendance and we were the only group on the bill.

I'll post our setlist if I can find it later.

Also last year, I subbed in a cover band for one night only. That night, the regular guitarist played bass and we were temporarily known as the Green monkey's Toothpaste Revenge. It was glorious. The real band name is The Mac. (http://www.themacmusic.com/index.html)

I started out in a cover band when I was 15. We did Punk and Metal covers (Sex Pistols, Judas Priest...) A few years later I was in a band that did stuff like Thin Lizzy, CCR, Zeppelin, Stones... We always managed to work in an original or two during the 2nd set. There was a lot of guitar wankery back then. We often did 10-12 minute versions of songs like Gloria, with 3 or 4 guitar solo breaks. Nowadays I barely let a solo last more than 12 bars :).

I've jammed with Dave Driewitz (bass) many times over the past year. He's got a little side band called Cresent Moon, just him and a drummer. Its pretty far out. He's a good guy.

Awesome.

Well...

Long ago and far away...

OK...1977 East Texas. I was a senior in High School.

Not quite desolate, but Picture The Dukes of Hazard meets Deliverance.

Disco was king...even in East Texas.

My best friend was a kick ass musician who was a brilliant drummer and could play guitar much better than I could. I was mildly musical with a Gibson Les Paul (I had some money cause I did some oil field work and DJ'd for my dad). My friend (who I will call "Mickey") and I had played some high school baseball and were on the baseball team at the local JC.

On Friday nights in the summer of 1977, Mickey and I would hang out with a couple of our team mates and listen to tunes and enjoy the fruit of the vine and the friendly herb. I had a pretty good record collection and we shared a common love of BRITPOP and 'white guy with guitars' music.

IN a flash of inspiration, we decided to get together a band. Two guitars, Bass, Drums.

'Mickey' on Drums (a pieced together Pearl POS)

Me on Guitar (a great guitar played by an incompetent...ROCK n ROLL!!!)

'Paul'(a pitcher on the baseball team) on bass (he had an OLD fender p bass)

Geoff on lead guitar (HE was the musician. His dad had shit loads of money from Oil leases and East Texas mob activity. He had a Fender Strat, a Les Paul Gold Top, an SG, 2 Fender Bass man 50w amps...he was serious about his music and he was a certified knucklehead)

We all sang...nice 4 part harmonies that probably sounded better through a drunken haze.

We managed to score a gig at the local Country Club playing Friday and Saturday Nights for the well heelds for the months of June, July and August. (Geoff's dad had enough juice to get us connected in Shreveport, but we didn't want any part of that...)

We generally played songs that didn't require a Lot of what would resemble Lead guitar work.

I remember we played not very proficiently, but with much beer fuled enthusiasm.

We didn't have a huge setlist/repetoir, but we had an interesting mix

We weren't bad...I would describe us as earnest though not proficient with good taste.

We played a couple of Saturday nights at the Local Country Club (where the local well heeleds would come to drink and dance).

Typical Set list (which was the extent of the songs we could actually play or fake)

No Matter What---lotsa chords, harmonies and a enthusiastic attempt at a slide guitar solo

September Gurls---I was probably the only teenager in TEXAS who had heard of Big Star...this actually went over pretty well because)

Nowhere Man---we could throw down some righteous 4 part harmonies

Baby Blue---did I ever mention I was a huge Badfinger fan? Furious chording. But our arrangement was surprisingly easy to play.

Needles and Pins---still makes me smile

Wild Thing---by this time we were pretty well oiled and needed easy, racous songs

Louie Louie---Using the alternate filty lyrics

Slow Ride---when one is drunk, this can actually sound decent if the audience is also blitzed. This one didn't sound decent, but it was hellaciously fun to try to play.

We weren't very good. We spent most of our pay in beer/booze/weed. We had a great time.

Mickey went on to be a very successful software developer.

'Paul' ended heading off to The Citadel, got a commission in the Army and saw the elephant in Panama and Iraq. Retired from the Army in 2002 as a Bird Colonel. Last I heard he was making a killing in the defense industry.

Geoff, a knucklehead to the bone, got his HS gf preggers, married her and went to work in the family 'business'. Got mixed up with some nasty South American types and is currently a guest of the Federal Prison system.

I started out in a cover band when I was 15. We did Punk and Metal covers (Sex Pistols, Judas Priest...) A few years later I was in a band that did stuff like Thin Lizzy, CCR, Zeppelin, Stones... We always managed to work in an original or two during the 2nd set. There was a lot of guitar wankery back then. We often did 10-12 minute versions of songs like Gloria, with 3 or 4 guitar solo breaks. Nowadays I barely let a solo last more than 12 bars :).

Bad Apples attempted some of our own material but it was just blatant larceny...

"Original Tune" was really just a ripoff of "Gone Daddy Gone"

"Nice Tits, Bad Breath" was the "sweet emotion" intro and riffs with different lyrics.

we've yet to generate any major label interest but we're undaunted nonetheless.