Manchester UK show is cancelled...

If that was the case Wilco wouldn't be able to tell due to legal reasons I assume

Yes, I would assume so also.

Then again, it is just a theory to fit the circumstances based on what little we have to go on. I did say I was clutching at straws.

My gut feeling is they're not coming back :ohwell

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing to me that there hasn't been some sort of explaination on the band's website. People have made all sorts of plans, this may be costing them money for travel expenses, etc. Considering how quickly they explained cancelled shows due to Nels Cline's illness, there really should be some sort of something coming from the band. Once that had been given as the reason for cancelling shows, I think people forgave them rather quickly and moved on.

I hope this thread stays active to let management know that fans deserve better than to be left in the dark. They read this, right?

Yes, I would assume so also.

Then again, it is just a theory to fit the circumstances based on what little we have to go on. I did say I was clutching at straws.

My gut feeling is they're not coming back :ohwell

I want to keep clutching at straws too but they're not giving us anything solid to clutch at. I really expected them to have said something else by now - given us something in the form of an understandable reason or even an apology that sounded like they actually gave a toss. All we had was the half hearted sorry and 'scheduling conflicts' message on the website which has now long gone.

I don't think they're coming back either. There might be the odd London date in future years but that'll be it. So I guess that I'll never have the chance to see my favourite band live again :ohwell

Considering how quickly they explained cancelled shows due to Nels Cline's illness,

Exactly. This is a band that has no problem with sharing information when it can. They have always been upfront with fans before -- if they're not doing it now, there has to be a very good reason. Or at least I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This band has been great to its fans for years. To assume that they've suddenly become cold-hearted bastards overnight is a bizarre leap.

Coulnd't agree more, Heidi :yes

Yes it is very unusual for them to not give any sort of explanation ("scheduling issues" really doesn't say anything), given that people have booked "no cancellation-no refund"-trips, and I sincerely feel for everyone who's lost money (in normal case it would have been us too, thankfully we needed to wait for job info before we could book anything, and it turned out we couldn't go) in this.

But I am sure the band feels just as bad about this.

I don't understand why people are suggesting that they might never come back (to uk). They sold out 2 nights at the Empire earlier this year, so there's obviously enough of a fan base to make it worthwhile.

I would have considered a trip/break to Spain or Belgium if there hadn't been any uk shows, but the late cancellation made it too difficult.

To be honest, I was really surprised that they were coming back to London so soon, and was thinking how lucky we are, especially in London...

oh well oh well

I don't understand why people are suggesting that they might never come back (to uk). They sold out 2 nights at the Empire earlier this year, so there's obviously enough of a fan base to make it worthwhile.

I would have considered a trip/break to Spain or Belgium if there hadn't been any uk shows, but the late cancellation made it too difficult.

To be honest, I was really surprised that they were coming back to London so soon, and was thinking how lucky we are, especially in London...

oh well oh well

I'm sure they will come back to London but if poor ticket sales in the regions is the reason for canceling this time then what incentive have they got to ever arrange another regional tour because surely they'll just hit the same problem?

This band has been great to its fans for years. To assume that they've suddenly become cold-hearted bastards overnight is a bizarre leap.

If we got a proper explanation from the band I'd forgive them in an instant. It's this poor excuse for an excuse that's got us UK folks riled. A bit of honesty/clarity would be nice - that's all I ask.

I don't understand why people are suggesting that they might never come back (to uk)

People?

I was merely suggeting that I don't think these particular dates will be re-scheduled, unless there's been a problem with the Academys. Otherwise, why not let people hang onto tickets (and thereby avoid them being charged for something they haven't actually got to see?).

If we got a proper explanation from the band I'd forgive them in an instant. It's this poor excuse for an excuse that's got us UK folks riled. A bit of honesty/clarity would be nice - that's all I ask.

For me it's a combination of the management-speak/meaningless reason (that's why we all love rock 'n' roll, isn't it? For the 'conflicting schedules', the 'core demographics', etc :realmad ), and the fact that only refunds are being given.

I've no problem with any reason they give if the shows were just to be re-scheduled, that would cover the 'mind your own business' angle someone else (sympathetically :ermm ) suggested, but other than a problem with the Academys it's a bit of a slap in the face.

People?

If that's the case then it would be nice for Wilco's management to tell us, rather than a whole week later still having zero information for us let alone any indication of whether Wilco will ever play the UK again. Although after this debacle even if they do schedule new dates in the future I won't be buying tickets until I know the band has actually landed in the country.

someone else suggested it also..

Just seen this at the Broken Horse label blog site http://brokenhorserecords.blogspot.com/

Autumn Defense Manchester show cancelled

Unfortunately, the Autumn Defense show at the Briton's Protection has been cancelled because Wilco have pulled all their UK shows which were due to start next week. Apologies to anyone who was hoping to come down. The AD should be back in the UK in early 2008 for a proper tour of their own though.

And I said I'm sure they'll play London again but the rest of the UK has to be very doubtful if poor ticket sales are the reason this tour has been canceled.

you said "a whole week later still having zero information for us let alone any indication of whether Wilco will ever play the UK again"

I realise now what you meant.. ;)

Hi all, I've just found out that the show (in Manchester) is cancelled. It it weren't for me telling a friend "you could come too", who then attempted to get a ticket, I would have in all probability turned up for the gig on Friday. My brother bought me my ticket straight from the Academy box office (yay no booking fees or postage), so no emails for me.

So I just turned up here to look for reasons for the cancellation and any further news, but it seems there's nothing here but a weak explanation and a bunch of antagonising douchebag Americans. Cheers guys.

I feel sick at this news. Seeing Wilco for the first ever time was the one gig I'd been looking forward to in the past year. I'd even put off starting a new job (in Germany) to hang around in the north-west an extra week to see them. There are so many expletives that I want to use.

To top it all off we get some weak-ass "We can make more money on this other schedule, than playing to you English bozos" excuse. Way to treat your fans. Heck, they charged enough in the first place for a ticket ($50)! Who do they think they are? U2? Yes it would have been worth it, but that isn't the point.

I'll tell you what good manners are; a rather famous singer had told us that he was going to come buy some art from us last week. He was rushed to hospital for surgery on a brain tumour the day before the appointment, but still managed to relay a message saying that he wouldn't be able to make it. I mean schedule (money) vs. life and death, and they still haven't bothered to address their fans a week on from the cancellation.

I've only been a Wilco fan for the past year, and I've seen people on this thread say how great they are to their fans, but I'm not seeing it...

So I just turned up here to look for reasons for the cancellation and any further news, but it seems there's nothing here but a weak explanation and a bunch of antagonising douchebag Americans. Cheers guys.

:brow Unless you only skimmed the thread, seems to me you should have seen some sympathetic Americans, too.

To top it all off we get some weak-ass "We can make more money on this other schedule, than playing to you English bozos" excuse. Way to treat your fans. Heck, they charged enough in the first place for a ticket ($50)! Who do they think they are? U2? Yes it would have been worth it, but that isn't the point.

What they've said is "scheduling issues". Until we see them turn up at another date that makes them more money, I think you're taking a leap there. Maybe someone has a medical problem that they'd rather not broadcast to the world, and needs to see a specific doctor during that week. Hell, maybe someone's mother is having a major surgery that week, and the band doesn't feel the need to broadcast someone else's medical issues. I'm just playing devil's advocate to your post here, but again, until we see them turning up somewhere that nets them more money than a series of UK shows, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I've only been a Wilco fan for the past year, and I've seen people on this thread say how great they are to their fans, but I'm not seeing it...

Surf around Via Chicago for a while, it's not hard to find reports of Wilco being great to their fans. And if you can't find anything, let us know, I'm sure there are more than a few people here who would be willing to tell you some stories. :)

I don't disagree that it sucks that these shows were cancelled. People are out money, they've re-arranged schedules for these shows, and it full-on sucks that the shows aren't going to happen. I don't think anyone is arguing that point.

To top it all off we get some weak-ass "We can make more money on this other schedule, than playing to you English bozos" excuse.

That's an unfair characterization of the actual explanation given, inadequate though it was.

Hi all, I've just found out that the show (in Manchester) is cancelled. It it weren't for me telling a friend "you could come too", who then attempted to get a ticket, I would have in all probability turned up for the gig on Friday. My brother bought me my ticket straight from the Academy box office (yay no booking fees or postage), so no emails for me.

I feel sick at this news. Seeing Wilco for the first ever time was the one gig I'd been looking forward to in the past year. I'd even put off starting a new job (in Germany) to hang around in the north-west an extra week to see them. There are so many expletives that I want to use.

I'll tell you what good manners are; a rather famous singer had told us that he was going to come buy some art from us last week. He was rushed to hospital for surgery on a brain tumour the day before the appointment, but still managed to relay a message saying that he wouldn't be able to make it. I mean schedule (money) vs. life and death, and they still haven't bothered to address their fans a week on from the cancellation.

This is a wind-up, right? :blink

Unless you only skimmed the thread, seems to me you should have seen some sympathetic Americans, too

You're right. Actually, the vast majority of folks on here have been sympathetic. Many thanks (and apologies if I'm wearing your sympathy out).

Maybe someone has a medical problem that they'd rather not broadcast to the world, and needs to see a specific doctor during that week. Hell, maybe someone's mother is having a major surgery that week, and the band doesn't feel the need to broadcast someone else's medical issues. I'm just playing devil's advocate to your post here, but again, until we see them turning up somewhere that nets them more money than a series of UK shows, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Once again, not a problem with any of that, and their right not to tell us any of that. But why not let people hang onto their tickets for a re-scheduling if it were for any reason(s) similar to this? Doesn't add up.

And apologies again. I know your response that wasn't aimed at me specifically.

Once again, not a problem with any of that, and their right not to tell us any of that. But why not let people hang onto their tickets for a re-scheduling if it were for any reason(s) similar to this? Doesn't add up.

I agree, I don't understand why the shows weren't rescheduled. I'm hoping (and sort of assuming) that at some point you'll get some better explanation, but like I said, until then I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, some of the UK folks might not realize this, but the week following the Dublin shows is Thanksgiving here. It's a big deal for families in America, and from what I recall, Wilco has traditionally been home in Chicago for that. So even if they were able to re-schedule those shows for that next week based on the venues' schedules, it's not like they've got a full month before Christmas to squeeze those in and get home to their families. It would be a major decision for them to decide to forego their Thanksgivings to do those shows. And I'm not saying that's what happened, or that was even a possibility, it's just one more wrinkle in the rescheduling issue.

some of the UK folks might not realize this, but the week following the Dublin shows is Thanksgiving here. It's a big deal for families in America, and from what I recall, Wilco has traditionally been home in Chicago for that. So even if they were able to re-schedule those shows for that next week based on the venues' schedules, it's not like they've got a full month before Christmas to squeeze those in and get home to their families. It would be a major decision for them to decide to forego their Thanksgivings to do those shows. And I'm not saying that's what happened, or that was even a possibility, it's just one more wrinkle in the rescheduling issue.

wtf?

No, I hadn't thought about Thanksgiving as a possible excuse, and I can't believe anyone could see it as such. There are FOUR months between the last gig in November and their first gigs in Australia next year. FOUR MONTHS. The UK tour would have taken them one week, or two if they wanted to do some sight seeing.

Anyway, a rescheduling wouldn't help me as, like I said earlier, I'm leaving the country. Do they ever play Hamburg?

That's an unfair characterization of the actual explanation given, inadequate though it was.

Perhaps, but it's unfair of Wilco to give such a lame reason for cancelling shows without at least promising some kind of replacement tour.

There aren't many lines of business where it's seen as acceptable to treat your customers in this way...

Anyway, a rescheduling wouldn't help me as, like I said earlier, I'm leaving the country. Do they ever play Hamburg?

they've played Hamburg, 8 times. The most recent show was earlier this year, 2007-05-25.

Do they ever play Hamburg?

Yes.

Also, just as many of the UKers here have said that it's not all that easy to fly to the continent for a show, it's not exactly easy for a band to get themselves and all their equipment back across the Atlantic.