Manchester UK show is cancelled...

I'm glad I'm not the only one totally peed off about this.

I was starting to think from some responses that this was one of those fan sites where you're not allowed to criticise the band :dontgetit

Poor ticket sales would be odd too - the last gig I went to (Manchester 2004) was packed to the rafters. That was Academy 2 rather than Academy 1 though but if ticket sales weren't so great then they should have stuck to the smaller venue.

But if it is poor ticket sales then in part that can surely be blamed on the seeming lack of interest on Wilco's part in touring round the UK? You've got to work to build a fanbase, especially in a country which might be small but is so important in music terms and has so many bands touring all the time. There's a lot of competition for music fans' ears and gig time and no gigs in three years plus minimal publicity for these gigs and SBS isn't conducive to people even knowing the band exists.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of pouring oil on troubled waters, can I step in here, 100 or so posts since starting this thread, and try to repair a little of the special US/UK relationship that this forum enjoys and which appears to be in danger here, due to some pretty aggressive and ill-informed speculation and whingeing that's going on from some of my UK compatriots, especially those who are relatively new, who need to educate themselves pretty quickly and read some of the millions of posts on this site about Wilco's generosity and appreciation of their fans.

It would be great if Wilco came more to the UK and more to towns outside London; those of us not in London miss out on a lot, particularly when the bands we like are out of the mainstream. I live in Liverpool, and even here, in a town which trades on The Beatles year in, year out, we are only just gettting our first decent indoor arena. London is cost-effective for bands to visit, so I understand the focus, and I've got the credit card debts, bad train experiences and terrible hotel memories to show for getting down to London, mostly to see Wilco, over they years.

I have been spoiled however by having had chance to see Wilco over the last few years in Manchester, (twice), Birmingham and Nottingham. I, like I think a lot of UK fans, were delighted that there were a few dates out of London coming up again, so to have them cancelled at relatively short notice is a real bitter disappointment, especially as we will all lose money one way or another, to agency fees, handling fees, service fees, etc, etc, which are never refunded.

At the end of the day it's a shame, but that's all. I'm certain the cancellations are for a very good reason that the band feel will be of benefit to them and to getting their music out to a bigger audience, sell more records, do bigger tours, etc, etc.

To suggest the band have little regard for their fans is disgraceful and I disassociate myself from some of the UK members of this forum who are suggesting this. I know Wilco will make it up to us, and I know they will feel bad at letting us down.

This is Wilco; this is not some Simon Cowell wet-dream no-talent one-hit wonder cash-driven bullshit pre-pubescent chart fodder.

At the risk of pouring oil on troubled waters, can I step in here, 100 or so posts since starting this thread, and try to repair a little of the special US/UK relationship that this forum enjoys and which appears to be in danger here, due to some pretty aggressive and ill-informed speculation and whingeing that's going on from some of my UK compatriots, especially those who are relatively new, who need to educate themselves pretty quickly and read some of the millions of posts on this site about Wilco's generosity and appreciation of their fans.

It would be great if Wilco came more to the UK and more to towns outside London; those of us not in London miss out on a lot, particularly when the bands we like are out of the mainstream. I live in Liverpool, and even here, in a town which trades on The Beatles year in, year out, we are only just gettting our first decent indoor arena. London is cost-effective for bands to visit, so I understand the focus, and I've got the credit card debts, bad train experiences and terrible hotel memories to show for getting down to London, mostly to see Wilco, over they years.

I have been spoiled however by having had chance to see Wilco over the last few years in Manchester, (twice), Birmingham and Nottingham. I, like I think a lot of UK fans, were delighted that there were a few dates out of London coming up again, so to have them cancelled at relatively short notice is a real bitter disappointment, especially as we will all lose money one way or another, to agency fees, handling fees, service fees, etc, etc, which are never refunded.

At the end of the day it's a shame, but that's all. I'm certain the cancellations are for a very good reason that the band feel will be of benefit to them and to getting their music out to a bigger audience, sell more records, do bigger tours, etc, etc.

To suggest the band have little regard for their fans is disgraceful and I disassociate myself from some of the UK members of this forum who are suggesting this. I know Wilco will make it up to us, and I know they will feel bad at letting us down.

This is Wilco; this is not some Simon Cowell wet-dream no-talent one-hit wonder cash-driven bullshit pre-pubescent chart fodder.

how wonderfully patronising...

just because it's Wilco (and not some x factor blah blah etc) is no reason at all for not giving a reasonable explanation. I'm sure (even?) Wilco would not expect any fans of any band to simply accept whatever reason is given.

A big part of my complaint is with the system (which is nothing to do with Wilco), and how the agencys make their money whether the show goes ahead or not, and I don't understand why some of that profit doesn't go back to re-imbursing the punters.

"At the end of the day it's a shame, but that's all. I'm certain the cancellations are for a very good reason that the band feel will be of benefit to them and to getting their music out to a bigger audience, sell more records, do bigger tours, etc, etc."

What if it isn't though, what if it is purely down to the fact that ticket sales were poor and that they didn't want to / couldn't be arsed with playing to half-empty places across the UK? That shows a lack of respect to fans.

At the end of the day, if they came out with something more substantial than conflicting timetables or whatever then people might not be so upset. As it stands I feel people the UK are in their right to be pissed off at how they've been treated by the band in this instance.

Even if it was to appear on TV, or whatever people are saying - it's total poor form and shows a lack of respect.

I wouldn't organise a birthday party, get my mates along and then ditch it for a better party across town without organising an alternative plan for birthday celebrations.

A big part of my complaint is with the system (which is nothing to do with Wilco), and how the agencys make their money whether the show goes ahead or not, and I don't understand why some of that profit doesn't go back to re-imbursing the punters.

Here, here.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'd really like to know who pockets the booking fee, I mean... I bought my tickets from the venue in person from a ticket office so what exactly needs to be 'booked'?

I have no problem with the (admittedly pretty darn hard working...) band but lets have at least a modicum of communication, this is 2007 after all.

Alex

And just for the record... if it is down to ticket sales, could it be down to (dare I say it...) excessive pricing? I've been to loads of gigs that have been moved from the bigger Academy 1 to the Academy's 2 and 3... that wouldn't have been a problem...

Happens all the time.

I don't intend this to be another can of worms for the opening, but a lot of my friends were put off by the price... (I think they are well worth it for the record). I really hope they re-schedule...

Alex

'Ghost Of Bob Cumming'

Out of interest, did you have to ring up Ticketweb re the refund, or return the tickets? I booked via Ticketweb and did get an automated message from them about 24hrs before the Decemberists show saying it was cancelled, but I've had no confirmation of a refund (would be helpful iro Wilco also) - not sure if I need to do anything (I think the message said that my card would be automatically refunded - but I was to busy cursing the cancellation to hear it properly :lol ).

- No it was all done automatically - I basically had to do nothing. Having said that I'm still awaiting any confirmation of them yet re the upcoming Newcastle show being pulled...

If there was any problem with low sales it can only be down to the promoters. With the increasing corporate circuit of Academy venues I can't help but feel that a lot of them are just sitting on their arse when it comes to promotion. The only UK ads I saw for these gigs (which didn't even include the Newcastle gig!) were very small banner ads in Mojo and Uncut magazines - squeezed in with a hundred other bands. And for the corporate promoters this is becoming a major pitfall and basically sells the bands and the fans very short.

However I think the real reason for cancellation must be TV in the states - this has already killed a handful of shows at my venue this year as it's such a huge market opportunity that no band can ignore it.

I realise many are very pissed with this - but I have a feeling Wilco will make amends next year.

No it was all done automatically - I basically had to do nothing. Having said that I'm still awaiting any confirmation of them yet re the upcoming Newcastle show being pulled...

Thanks for the info. I've heard nothing re Newcastle either yet - though the automated message I mentioned before took about 2/3 days longer than if I'd just checked the Decemberists website.

I think Welsh Rich is right we need to wait and see the real reason for the cancellation - I know t'internet was built for this sort of wild speculation, but let's take a deep breath, ey?

(Having said that, could have done without the reason being given in meaningless 'management-speak')

This is the email I got from ticketline where I bought my tickets:

"Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you that the Wilco concert on 2nd November at Manchester Academy 1 has been cancelled.

Please return your tickets to your point of purchase. If you were to collect your tickets from the venue on the evening of the show, you will be refunded within the week.

If you booked over the phone or internet, please send your tickets to the below address:

Customer Services

Piccadilly Ticketline

PO Box 4061

Manchester

M60 1YT

It is your responsibility to ensure that tickets returned are received by us. It is therefore advisable to return any tickets by secure post.

Upon receipt of the tickets, the face value will be returned back to the card that you purchased them with."

Why do they need the actual tickets back to process a refund? It's not like I can use the tickets for anything else and they must have record of my purchase in order to send the email. Surely simply refunding my payment back to my credit card should be straight forward? It's total nonsense.

I actually doubt Wilco will make amends next year. They've already stated that they won't be touring much in 2008, so a big trip to the UK seems unlikely. If they are going to reschedule for next year they should have said that at the same time as apologising for canceling these gigs in the first place - with a proper and understandable reason.

Where did the information regarding "not touring much in 2008" come from? In the billboard article Jeff hints at touring at least two legs in 2008.

I personally don't think it's ever cool, barring illness, that a band cancels dates. That being said I've never experienced a band more in touch with their fans. I doubt that they are out to lose any fans or create any ill feelings.

How many bands of their size tour Europe TWICE in the same calendar year. There are cities and areas of the US that they haven't hit in years. Philadelphia comes to mind.

Where did the information regarding "not touring much in 2008" come from? In the billboard article Jeff hints at touring at least two legs in 2008.

it comes from a Wilco HQ e-mail update, that was sent out on Oct. 5th:

Greetings everyone,

it's been a while so we've got a lot to report but we'll keep it short & sweet. Stay tuned for further developments and check out the bullet points below.

Here, here.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'd really like to know who pockets the booking fee, I mean... I bought my tickets from the venue in person from a ticket office so what exactly needs to be 'booked'?

It's a bit like, if you buy a product, and when you take it back for a refund (for whatever reason), the seller then saying "well, some of the selling price was my profit, so I'll only refund you x amount..."

I know Wilco try to look after their fans, but we've already been shafted here in the uk with the 'extra's' on the cd that didn't work..

'Ghost Of Bob Cumming'

Out of interest, did you have to ring up Ticketweb re the refund, or return the tickets? I booked via Ticketweb and did get an automated message from them about 24hrs before the Decemberists show saying it was cancelled, but I've had no confirmation of a refund (would be helpful iro Wilco also) - not sure if I need to do anything (I think the message said that my card would be automatically refunded - but I was to busy cursing the cancellation to hear it properly :lol ).

- No it was all done automatically - I basically had to do nothing. Having said that I'm still awaiting any confirmation of them yet re the upcoming Newcastle show being pulled...

If there was any problem with low sales it can only be down to the promoters. With the increasing corporate circuit of Academy venues I can't help but feel that a lot of them are just sitting on their arse when it comes to promotion. The only UK ads I saw for these gigs (which didn't even include the Newcastle gig!) were very small banner ads in Mojo and Uncut magazines - squeezed in with a hundred other bands. And for the corporate promoters this is becoming a major pitfall and basically sells the bands and the fans very short.

However I think the real reason for cancellation must be TV in the states - this has already killed a handful of shows at my venue this year as it's such a huge market opportunity that no band can ignore it.

I realise many are very pissed with this - but I have a feeling Wilco will make amends next year.

Even the e-mails that I regularly get from ticket agencies letting me know what gigs are coming up, quite often didn't mention the Wilco shows

I think everyone is forgetting who is really to blame. Was it not pointed out that Jeff became ill in Columbus? He said he was sick at the Detroit show. Please stop directing hate towards the band and management. Blame ohio.

Also, I am getting kind of upset that Zeppelin won't add a US date to the reunion. Can someone in the UK talk to them about that??

/only kidding

I think everyone is forgetting who is really to blame. Was it not pointed out that Jeff became ill in Columbus? He said he was sick at the Detroit show. Please stop directing hate towards the band and management. Blame ohio.

if it's due to illness, that would be the easiest explanation to accept, but we've been told there's a 'schedule conflict'..

and they're sticking with their other dates, before and after the uk shows

I can't believe you just did that!

Sorry to you all whose shows got cancelled. That does suck. I'd be disappointed, too. But I don't think Wilco is a band who takes cancelling shows lightly.

I just got my cancellation email from ticketweb - as last time (see previous post) they are basically just going to refund me directly. No hassle sending back tickets or anything. So I would recommend them if you are shopping around for tix in the future.

So my last two gigs have been screwed, got Arcade Fire and Iron and Wine over the next few days - keeping fingers crossed they'll be fine and looking forward to Dublin!!