Devices Enforce Silence Of Cellphones

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

feels pretty good, but i drive a bentley made out of gold and poor people. company car. i'm drinking oil from a diamond-encrsuted pimp challace that has 'CAN'T JAM ME!' spelled out in rubies and poor people.

Yeah I bet. You make jokes but cell phone minutes are just techno-crack for the masses. You aren't going to hook me with Fergie ringtones and baseball score updates!

sure it did. i answered it by rednering it moot...who cares what we did before cell phones, because we have them now and that's what we're talking about. i don't know if i'd object, but i'd find it absolutely insane...again, because we're not asking people to take accountability for their actions and act like responsible adults, we're doing it for them.

...because they damn sure can't do it for themselves. We've given them plenty of chances to do so, and they never quite managed it.

I'm not generally a fan of this kind of hand-holding either, but when the behavior doesn't stop and doesn't get any better, sometimes you have to take drastic action. It's a sad comment on the state of U.S. society, but does it honestly surprise you?

so i don't have to go back to read your specific examples, but on an average, how many people at how many films that you've seen recently have actually opened up their cell and had a conversation during the movie?

Counting back, I believe I've seen five films in the theater in the last year. People were having cellphone conversations during the movie in three of those.

Believe me, I'm not arguing hypotheticals here.

out of a two hour film, how long did that cell phone call last? i get what you're saying, but i guess somebody talking on a cellphone or otherwise for 2-3 minutes or less would not piss me off to the point where i felt the entire film was ruined for me and NOBODY should be allowed to simply have a working cellphone on them.

obviously though, i must be going to better movie theatres...being filthy rich and all. i've heard maybe 2 phones go off during the movie the last 5 films i've seen and the people clicked it to silent.

out of a two hour film, how long did that cell phone call last? i get what you're saying, but i guess somebody talking on a cellphone or otherwise for 2-3 minutes or less would not piss me off to the point where i felt the entire film was ruined for me and NOBODY should be allowed to simply have a working cellphone on them.

It's the principle of the thing. Theaters even go so far as to show "clever" fake trailers, asking people to turn their phones off, or at least set them to silent/no lights. They also ask that you refrain from talking on them, or you will be tossed. Unfortunately, the rules are broken way more than they're enforced.

I'm all for these jamming devices, but apparently my threshold for annoyance is a lot lower than your's. Hell, you don't even get bothered by jerkoffs talking at concerts.

Guest Speed Racer
as far as an establishment putting up a sign...sure, why not. every movie i've been to over the last 5 years or longer does just that during the previews...on a HUGE screen. it all comes down to whether people obey them or not...again, the person, not the device.

No no, my proposal wasn't just the sign - heaven knows that doesn't work - but a sign notifying customers/workers/inhabitants that there was a device that would disable signals. Would you be against a signal blocking device if you were made aware of it upon entry into the 'no-signal zone'? If one's workplace were a 'no signal zone,' their spouses/loved ones/loathed ones would obviously be aware of that, and in the case of emergencies/pulling people from meetings, they would have all of the appropriate numbers to call. If someone were in a coffee shop that blocked signals and they needed to notify a loved one that they were imploding or whatever, it would probably not be too difficult to bother the management for access to a telephone.

And, to catch up to the current 'heebie-jeebie I can't see a movie without my phone ON ON ON!' I keep my phone on silent nearly all the time. When I'm bored/nervous/curious, I check it. 'Good golly! Mom's in the hospital!' I call home, assess the situation, everything seems fine. If I were super-nervous and at a movie, I'd put it on vibrate. But jeeeeeesus, do you have to have your ringer on? That's what get's me about the 'I'm nervous' crowd.

As a light-hearted tangent: While wireless technology was on the up-and-up in the world, a group of concerned parents in Oak Park (IL) started a 'watch-group' (that was their phrase) called STOP (Safer Technology in Oak Park). There were weekly editorials about how all the elementary school kids would grow twelve heads and have testicular cancer. Those were the good old says! :lol

It's the principle of the thing. Theaters even go so far as to show "clever" fake trailers, asking people to turn their phones off, or at least set them to silent/no lights. They also ask that you refrain from talking on them, or you will be tossed. Unfortunately, the rules are broken way more than they're enforced.

but how is that different from people talking during movies before there were cellphones? :monkey

And, to catch up to the current 'heebie-jeebie I can't see a movie without my phone ON ON ON!' I keep my phone on silent nearly all the time. When I'm bored/nervous/curious, I check it. 'Good golly! Mom's in the hospital!' I call home, assess the situation, everything seems fine. If I were super-nervous and at a movie, I'd put it on vibrate. But jeeeeeesus, do you have to have your ringer on? That's what get's me about the 'I'm nervous' crowd.

who here ever said you shouldn't go on vibe or turn your ringer off? in fact that's what I'M saying...that should be enough. again, i have no problem w/ people wanting to put something into effect on the ringer being on and/or talking on it while in the theatre and the movie is on...jamming it seems insane and completely excessive. having your ringer off and your phone non-functional are two completely and extremely different things.

Guest Speed Racer
who here ever said you shouldn't go on vibe or turn your ringer off?

Nobody here, but experience shows that people apparently can't seem to do that...

And you *still* haven't answered my/cryptique's inquiry as to whether you would be opposed to signal-blocking devices used in establishments clearly marked as 'no signal zones.'

but how is that different from people talking during movies before there were cellphones? :monkey

See my previous post on DPS, or 'deaf on phone syndrome,' which causes people to SHOUT into phones because they cannot hear the other person. Other than that, it's exactly the same (and just as annoying) to be whispering/talking during a movie.

And you *still* haven't answered my/cryptique's inquiry as to whether you would be opposed to signal-blocking devices used in establishments clearly marked as 'no signal zones.'

my answer is the same it was 2 and a half hours ago...

i don't know if i'd object, but i'd find it absolutely insane...again, because we're not asking people to take accountability for their actions and act like responsible adults, we're doing it for them.

this is hands down the stupidest argument i've ever had on this board and yet i keep responding. jam on, kids and enjoy your movie. :monkey

Guest Speed Racer
my answer is the same it was 2 and a half hours ago...

this is hands down the stupidest argument i've ever had on this board and yet i keep responding. jam on, kids and enjoy your movie. :monkey

I'm not just talking about movies - I haven't been to a theater movie in YEARS. I'm thinking of this in terms of restaurants, workplaces, libraries, coffee shops - and of course, probably a theater or two.

And as for the 'doing it for them' argument, tons of laws and rules 'do things for us.' No alcohol sold after 7th innings? Metal detectors for traffic court? Heck, to apply for my passport I had to take off my belt and shoes.

And yes, it is complete inane discussing why people may or may not have valid or invalid criticisms of cell phones. Or your line of work. Or my line of work (which is also discussed frequently.) Or movies. Or music. Or children. Everything is inane.

jam on, boy, and enjoy your RAZR.

great. just one quick figure to go back to the whole shrugging off the emergency discussion relative to cellphones...as of June -07 there were 291K E911 distress calls placed by cellphones in the US a day. (CTIA)

relative to how 'unsafe' they are, cell phone use grew 17 fold between 1990 -1998 and US traffic fatalities continued a steady decline that started back in 1970 to the tune of over 25%. (Harvard Center of Risk Analysis)

And as for the 'doing it for them' argument, tons of laws and rules 'do things for us.' No alcohol sold after 7th innings? Metal detectors for traffic court? Heck, to apply for my passport I had to take off my belt and shoes.

aren't those laws in rules in place for the sake of public safety? I hardly consider being irritated by a ringing phone a public safety hazard.

I, do however, condone the no cell phone use when driving laws - that is a matter of public safety.

in that same harvard study, 6.3 annual fatalities per 1M drivers attributed to driving while using a cell phone...compared to 30.9 driving at the LEGAL BAC level and 49.3 due to lack of a seat belt.

i agree there should be regulations and there are realtive to hands-free requirements...of which there are now a billion options, inclduing voice activated dialing as i mentioned earlier.

Counting back, I believe I've seen five films in the theater in the last year. People were having cellphone conversations during the movie in three of those.

Believe me, I'm not arguing hypotheticals here.

Maybe it's where you live? I'd go out and get an usher, but that's just me. And whomever asked if I've really never seen this, the answer is yes, really. I see quite a lot of movies as well.

I just received a disturbing call from Spawn who was on holiday in Virginia with his dad. Early this morning during their trip to the grocery store, a man was talking on his cell phone. They weren't even in line, but in the cheese section.

Spawn said that his dad was so distraught that they had to leave the grocery store immediately and are now heading back to Jersey, not even 3 days into their holiday. :no

Evidently Spawn gently suggested to his daddy that he should, "Just let it go", but gary was inconsolable replying, "You don't understand the nature of the problem."

EL Ron Huxtable said:
everbody has become so easily annoyed and offended by things...a nation of pussies and i find it a tad crazy.

I totally agree that we have become a nation of pussies.

I'm 43, and when I was a kid, I rode my bike for many hours without ever having a helmet, knee pads or elbow pads. I rode standing up, no hands, the whole bit, and I had a blast. Today, if your kids go without "protective gear," you'll probably be arrested for child abuse. I climbed trees to the top and stayed up there for hours ... also without a helmet.

My parents smoked in the car, and we never wore seat belts. There was no such thing as a "car seat" for children under a certain height. The back seat was our car seat.

If my brother or I got stung by a bee or fell and hurt ourselves, we got some Bactine or a Band-Aid. Nobody called 911.

If one of my parents had a problem with me or my brother, they waited to discuss it until the other parent came home. No one ever had to be "in touch" 24-7, and everybody was just fine with that. If one of our teachers had a problem with us, our parents went and talked to them about it, and then we got in trouble for it. Our parents didn't call the teachers at home and bitch at them. People were accountable for their decisons.

As an adult, I've never owned a cellphone, and never needed one. If my car broke down, I walked to the nearest service station. If my wife needs to reach me and I'm not at work or at home, it has to wait until I get there. No big deal. I'm not an EMT, I don't own an ambulance, and I can't helicopter myself to an emergency site, so the spurious argument about dramatic, ER-like emergencies has no weight with me.

The ridiculous, egocentric, melodramatic need for people to be constantly available -- as if they were all brain surgeons on call -- is one of the saddest things I see in our current nation of pussies. It would be hilarious if it weren't so goddamn pathetic.

See I think the main reason that .../treehugger guy doesn't own a cellphone is because he does own an ambulance. I agree with El and Mr. Heartbreak. There are way bigger things in life than getting annoyed about rude people. I'm glad I have a cell phone in case of emergencies though. I like to use the vibrate function though.

I totally agree that we have become a nation of pussies.

I'm 43, and when I was a kid, I rode my bike for many hours without ever having a helmet, knee pads or elbow pads. I rode standing up, no hands, the whole bit, and I had a blast. Today, if your kids go without "protective gear," you'll probably be arrested for child abuse. I climbed trees to the top and stayed up there for hours ... also without a helmet.

My parents smoked in the car, and we never wore seat belts. There was no such thing as a "car seat" for children under a certain height. The back seat was our car seat.

If my brother or I got stung by a bee or fell and hurt ourselves, we got some Bactine a Band-Aid. Nobody called 911.

If one of my parents had a problem with me or my brother, they waited to discuss it until the other parent came home. No one ever had to be "in touch" 24-7, and everybody was just fine with that. If one of our teachers had a problem with us, our parents went and talked to them about it, and then we got in trouble for it. Our parents didn't call the teachers at home and bitch at them. People were accountable for their decisons.

As an adult, I've never owned a cellphone, and never needed one. If my car broke down, I walked to the nearest service station. If my wife needs to reach me and I'm not at work or at home, it has to wait until I get there. No big deal. I'm not an EMT, I don't own an ambulance, and I can't helicopter myself to an emergency site, so the spurious argument about dramatic, ER-like emergencies has no weight with me.

The ridiculous, egocentric, melodramatic need for people to be constantly available -- as if they were all brain surgeons on call -- is one of the saddest things I see in our current nation of pussies. It would be hilarious if it weren't so goddamn pathetic.

Nicely said. :thumbup