Devices Enforce Silence Of Cellphones

For my job...all my highschool kids have my cell phone number. Some of them have really bad situations at home with parents, some of them have typical highschool drama with cliques and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, and some of them just get depressed and need someone to talk to. I always have this work phone on, on vibrate, and if I got a call from a student, it's more important to me to talk to the kid than see the end of some movie.

My two cents!

Do you wear the bear suit when out saving the world from villainy and evil?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may come off as preachy but I will say it anyways. You can think differently if you want. First off, you cant spend your time worrying about every little thing that can possibly happen. You'll drive yourself nuts. Secondly, what difference does it make if you hear the news after the movie or show. Does it have any impact on anything? Seems like you are searching for something to make you worry. Deal with things when they happen. I have a 6 and 3 year old.

You are out of your mind.

So if your 3 year old were left with a sitter so you and your significant other could enjoy a night out and something happened to them that was life threatening, you wouldn't want to know about it until you got home? Are you serious?

For the record, I'm one of the most laid back parents in the world. I don't spend my time worrying about what might happen. My 9 year old and 5 year old are off playing in the neighborhood unsupervised as I type this...

It's like you're waiting for something to happen. Depending on what Im doing, when I do something, I am there and enjoy it without distractions assuming things will be just fine. Of course I wanna know as soon as possible, but that is when the event ends. I dont have to be in contact 24/7. Cause I'm not expecting some life threatening thing to happen at any given moment. Some times horrible things happen, thats life, but you cant live always worried about it.

I do not have kids but I do have a cell phone. If I do have kids and I still have my cell phone I would like to think I could live my life like ZenLunatic (who is actually taking a pretty zen approach to life here by living in the moment). But I could not live my life like ZenLunatic. If my (future) kid gets hurt I dont give a flying f*ck about the slapstick comedy I am watching on the big screen. Vibrate me immediately.

I do not have kids but I do have a cell phone. If I do have kids and I still have my cell phone I would like to think I could live my life like ZenLunatic (who is actually taking a pretty zen approach to life here by living in the moment). But I could not live my life like ZenLunatic. If my (future) kid gets hurt I dont give a flying f*ck about the slapstick comedy I am watching on the big screen. Vibrate me immediately.

Way to not live life to the fullest, dude.

Im not saying Tv, movie, or show is more important than your loved ones. But shit happens in life and you cant avoid it. You may be there, you may not. You cant be there all the time. Just taking some time to enjoy yourself isnt wrong. To say that you have to carry a cell every moment that you are away from your kids is going overboard to me. Things will be fine.

Im not saying Tv, movie, or show is more important than your loved ones. But shit happens in life and you cant avoid it. You may be there, you may not. You cant be there all the time. Just taking some time to enjoy yourself isnt wrong. To say that you have to carry a cell every moment that you are away from your kids is going overboard to me. Things will be fine.

this has got to be a bit.

El Huxtable, you still work for a major manufacturer of cellphones, right? I just want to make sure we have all of our biases on the table here.

i do. but my employment there has nothing to do w/ my agenda of thinking people get way to worked up over stupid shit and amplify things to overdramatize on the way to making a point. if i didn't work there, i'd still have the same exact stance, opinions and thoughts.

For my job...all my highschool kids have my cell phone number. Some of them have really bad situations at home with parents, some of them have typical highschool drama with cliques and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, and some of them just get depressed and need someone to talk to. I always have this work phone on, on vibrate, and if I got a call from a student, it's more important to me to talk to the kid than see the end of some movie.

My two cents!

That is very compassionate of you.

i do. but my employment there has nothing to do w/ my agenda of thinking people get way to worked up over stupid shit and amplify things to overdramatize on the way to making a point.

I agree with you on that ... such as overdramatizing the kinds of emergencies that cellphones can magically solve. ;)

There's been plenty of hyperbole and drama on both sides of this debate.

That is very compassionate of you.

I also use my cell phone to stop traffic while i help elderly ladies across the street.

I agree with you on that ... such as overdramatizing the kinds of emergencies that cellphones can magically solve. ;)

Are you for real?

I also use my cell phone to stop traffic while i help elderly ladies across the street. In my bear suit

bear.jpg

There's been plenty of hyperbole and drama on both sides of this debate.

the examples i posted were real versus glorified horror stories of 90% of a movie crowd waving their cellphones above their head like they were at a justin timberlake concert, but okay.

throw in i never said cellphones magically solve anything, but are you going to tell me they haven't helped? i also agreed that people can be assholes and evoid of tact in public, w/ cellphones and without...but jamming everybody's phone because of it doesn't seem like an adult way of dealing with it.

I'm actually in agreement with this. The times where I might take my cell phone out in public (movies, concert, dinner), I turn it off during whatever the event is, and turn it back on when I leave.

the examples i posted were real versus glorified horror stories of 90% of a movie crowd waving their cellphones above their head like they were at a justin timberlake concert, but okay.

Did I post any examples that weren't real?

throw in i never said cellphones magically solve anything, but are you going to tell me they haven't helped?

Sure, they can help. But anyone worried about such emergenices might want to think twice before walking into a movie theater. That's the way it was before cellphones, why should it be different now?

i also agreed that people can be assholes and evoid of tact in public, w/ cellphones and without...but jamming everybody's phone because of it doesn't seem like an adult way of dealing with it.

Neither is disrupting a movie by yammering on one's phone. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. If you read back earlier in this thread, you'll find that I'm advocating jamming in theaters, yes, but with clear disclosure that such jamming is taking place. At that point, it's up to the cellphone user whether he/she wants to spend two hours in a room where cellular calls won't come through. That seems to me to be a much more sensible way to tackle the problem than to ignore it while throwing around words like "accountability."

Restaurants offer non-smoking sections. Why shouldn't theaters offer non-cellular screenings?