Devices Enforce Silence Of Cellphones

bingo.

sorry, i remember you talking about that breakfast place banning kids and pretty much thought you crumbled them up and ate them on your salad. again, this place has become so insane i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not...and i'm usually as good at detecting that as i am boob jobs.

they didn't really ban kids, they just got rid of the high chair. So folks just bring their own booster seats and stuff and it seems to be all good.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they didn't really ban kids, they just got rid of the high chair. So folks just bring their own booster seats and stuff and it seems to be all good.

they must have some damn good breakfast, as there is no way i'd lug my own high chairs/booster seats around just so i could eat at someplace.

and since when have movies, concerts, restaurants, parks, beaches been 24-hour sanctuaries of silence?! it's like people were never loud and obnoxious BEFORE cellphones were commonplace.

Actually, what I said was that those places "once had the potential to be sanctuaries from the noise pollution of modern life." I guess they still do, but it's pretty hard to enjoy a nice walk in the woods when junior is just ahead of you going, "YEAH, I'M AT THE PARK RIGHT NOW. YEAH, IT'S REALLY BORING."

I fucking hate cell phones, but I hate the obnoxious users much, much more.

if you're not willing to ask someone to take it outside (a loud convo at a movie theatre) then you shouldn't be a coward and use a little device to shut people up.

Just a counterpoint to the couple of folks that say "just ask them to stop." I have done this exact thing on several occasions and been told to either mind my own business or to go f*ck myself. The folks that have the audacity to use their cell phones in what I would consider inappropriate places are very well aware of what other people think. They don't care. Do you think they aren't aware that they are on a crowded train or in a movie theater?

And don't lump me into the category of folks on here looking to impose the equivalent of capital punishment on cell phone users. I have a cell phone and I use it, and I agree that the problem is the person not the phone. But suggesting that this is a problem simply solved by politely asking someone to move their conversation elsewhere is just as disingenuous as the folks arguing that people with potential emergencies shouldn't go to the movies.

Ninjas has some nice cleavage.
let me tell you some-sing. Dey are REAL.
And don't lump me into the category of folks on here looking to impose the equivalent of capital punishment on cell phone users. I have a cell phone and I use it, and I agree that the problem is the person not the phone. But suggesting that this is a problem simply solved by politely asking someone to move their conversation elsewhere is just as disingenuous as the folks arguing that people with potential emergencies shouldn't go to the movies.
i was referring to the royal you. not the you you.
Nicely put, MattZ. If you confront a rude person about their rude behavior -- even in a diplomatic way -- they will almost always demonstrate how rude they can really be.

unless you're very skilled at confronting such an individual. my husband is an expert at putting such people in their place so I don't have to. ;)

But suggesting that this is a problem simply solved by politely asking someone to move their conversation elsewhere is just as disingenuous as the folks arguing that people with potential emergencies shouldn't go to the movies.

To clear up folks arguing that people with potential emergencies shouldn't go to the movies. I just think if you cant take a few hours out of the day to watch a movie without having such an emergency that you are needed immediately or something gigantic will happen, somethings not right. Who has these kinds of emergencies? And if so, why are you watching a movie at such a critical time. People need to be able to let go. Things can wait.

I do understand if you wanna go somewhere and keep your phone on vibrate and walk out if you get called. The point is that you dont need to be connected all the time and if places wanna put up cell phone blocks, I'm for it. The people who feel they need to be connected will find somewhere else to go. Im all for cell phones, just be curtious.

so, should folks who happen to be traveling in pairs doing their banking or shopping or getting coffee also not be allowed to talk to each other? How come there are no signs that say that?

These are such bizarre questions. People having normal conversations don't interfere with anything. People having loud conversations with someone who is not even in the same room are annoying as hell, and often detract greatly from what should be an enjoyable experience (movie, meal at a restaurant, etc.) Do you really need this explained to you?

To clear up folks arguing that people with potential emergencies shouldn't go to the movies. I just think if you cant take a few hours out of the day to watch a movie without having such an emergency that you are needed immediately or something gigantic will happen, somethings not right. Who has these kinds of emergencies? And if so, why are you watching a movie at such a critical time. People need to be able to let go. Things can wait.

Do you have kids?

I'd really like to know if my 7 month old was rushed to the hospital because her 20 month old brother left a piece of food on the floor and she choked on it. I really wouldn't like to wait until I got home to find out something like that. I know that I've tried to call a movie theatre once and no matter what I pressed on the phone, I couldn't get past the recording of the movies and the times they were playing.

i was referring to the royal you. not the you you.

Haha, yeah me too. I didn't mean you specifically. Sorry bout that.

I only meant that I dont really care all that much -- so my point of view shouldn't necessarily be lumped in with the rest of the crazies on here. I was just pointing out experiences I have had when I asked people to stop. I find that doing that often escalates the problem more than anything. I can't believe that this thread is still going, though. And I am mad at myself for being a part of the problem. I hate myself now. I hope everyone is happy.

Do you have kids?

I'd really like to know if my 7 month old was rushed to the hospital because her 20 month old brother left a piece of food on the floor and she choked on it. I really wouldn't like to wait until I got home to find out something like that. I know that I've tried to call a movie theatre once and no matter what I pressed on the phone, I couldn't get past the recording of the movies and the times they were playing.

This may come off as preachy but I will say it anyways. You can think differently if you want. First off, you cant spend your time worrying about every little thing that can possibly happen. You'll drive yourself nuts. Secondly, what difference does it make if you hear the news after the movie or show. Does it have any impact on anything? Seems like you are searching for something to make you worry. Deal with things when they happen. I have a 6 and 3 year old.

So if your 3 year old were left with a sitter so you and your significant other could enjoy a night out and something happened to them that was life threatening, you wouldn't want to know about it until you got home? Are you serious?

For the record, I'm one of the most laid back parents in the world. I don't spend my time worrying about what might happen. My 9 year old and 5 year old are off playing in the neighborhood unsupervised as I type this...

This may come off as preachy but I will say it anyways. You can think differently if you want. First off, you cant spend your time worrying about every little thing that can possibly happen. You'll drive yourself nuts. Secondly, what difference does it make if you hear the news after the movie or show. Does it have any impact on anything? Seems like you are searching for something to make you worry. Deal with things when they happen. I have a 6 and 3 year old.

when my 5 year old was 2 or 3 he walked down our pool stairs without his floaties while the other kids and my wife were playing only 5 feet away. Next thing you know, he's floating face down.

you know what was cool about that? I got a call on my cell phone at a jobsite and i got to run to the hospital and try to keep my wife calm instead of her dealing with the stress of her thinking she killed one of our kids cause she was playing with the others.

but, i guess, like you said, that probably could have waiting for a few hours, i mean, since he didn't die and all. what the fuck are you thinking? wait till the movie is over?

For my job...all my highschool kids have my cell phone number. Some of them have really bad situations at home with parents, some of them have typical highschool drama with cliques and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, and some of them just get depressed and need someone to talk to. I always have this work phone on, on vibrate, and if I got a call from a student, it's more important to me to talk to the kid than see the end of some movie.

My two cents!

My 2 year old has a cell phone so he can call me at work on my cell phone and tell me he wants to watch trains on TV, and then I can use my work phone to call my wife at work and tell her to call back to the house phone to tell my 2 year old to shut the fuck up about the trains already.

It may not be efficient, but it sure is fun to share.