Devices Enforce Silence Of Cellphones

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could buy one of these devices and use it surreptitiously, I would totally do it. I wouldn't care if it was legal or not.

It's sad that banks and other institutions have found it necessary to post signs that say, "For the sake of our other customers, please finish your cell phone calls before conducting your transaction" (or whatever it is they say ... I'm paraphrasing). People should put them on silent mode when they are anywhere the phone might disturb others: the movies, concerts, restaurants, parks, beaches ... all these places, that once had the potential to be sanctuaries from the noise pollution of modern life, have been permanently contaminated.

While I agree that the technology is useful and can be helpful in emergencies, there is no doubt that it has also contributed greatly to the decline in civility in our culture here in the US of A. To make it worse, we now have people using those melodious "two-way" phones in restaurants, so that not only do I get to hear their loud, obnoxious voice throughout my meal, I'm also treated to the other end of the conversation as well ... complete with loud beeps and crackling static.

If I did what I wanted to do in these situations, there would be many proctologists in my city removing electronic devices from their patients' anal orifices.

I tend to leave my phone off and at home during the day. I'll turn it on when I get home, and maybe take it with me, if I go out on the weekends. If my wife wasn't so concerned with me having it for emergency purposes, I'd get rid of it all together and get a landline installed.

I think it's more of an annoyance when I go to the grocery store with all of my kids than when I'm on the phone in the store.

Maybe someone should taze my kids so others can shop without hearing "mom, can I have that?"

'Don't taze me, bro Mom!'

and since when have movies, concerts, restaurants, parks, beaches been 24-hour sanctuaries of silence?! it's like people were never loud and obnoxious BEFORE cellphones were commonplace.

People need to be less connected distant things and more connected to whats around them.

at least on a cellphone, you are having a real conversation w/ another live human being...if your issue is detachment from one's surroundings, you should take equal to more issue w/ video game systems, ipods/walkmen, laptops and the web.

at least on a cellphone, you are having a real conversation w/ another live human being...if your issue is detachment from one's surroundings, you should take equal to more issue w/ video game systems, ipods/walkmen, laptops and the web.

Yeah those are all in someway bad when overused. Just cell phones are the biggest thing of those. I dont like having earphones(ipod) on when going to stores cause I feel it takes away from whats happening around you. There's a place for all that stuff just dont take it along to social places and detach yourself. Cell phones are great to talk to real people far away, there's just a right time and place for that.

I don't go to the grocery store to be social, I go to buy groceries. I probably don't even look at anyone other than maybe the cashier.

Yeah, WTF? The theory is the grocery is supposed to be a good place to meet chicks.

Not that I've seen evidence to support it.

The distraction factor is probably worst with a cellphone. It's a lot easier to switch focus away from music than from a conversation. I've used a cellphone while driving maybe twice ever, and it scared the fuck out of me because I realized that I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing with the car.

The distraction factor is probably worst with a cellphone. It's a lot easier to switch focus away from music than from a conversation. I've used a cellphone while driving maybe twice ever, and it scared the fuck out of me because I realized that I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing with the car.

but that's YOU. plus, there are too many options relative to handsfree operation...including voicedial so you don't even need to touch the phone to dial a #...to be that careless. plus, how much more distracting is carrying on a conversation on your cell than carrying on one w/ somebody actually in your car.

again, anybody who can't handle using one in their vehicle is at fault...not the phone.

there is...they're called headphones. an even better device is something called 'good parents'. even better than that is something called 'life is too short to let yourself be bothered so damn much by an instance that is a drop in the pool that is your entire lifetime.'

psssst. i was being ironic. we're on the same side with this one.

:rolleyes

psssst. i was being ironic. we're on the same side with this one.

:rolleyes

What about the chicks in grocery stores thing.

What's your position on that issue?

If I could buy one of these devices and use it surreptitiously, I would totally do it. I wouldn't care if it was legal or not.

It's sad that banks and other institutions have found it necessary to post signs that say, "For the sake of our other customers, please finish your cell phone calls before conducting your transaction" (or whatever it is they say ... I'm paraphrasing). People should put them on silent mode when they are anywhere the phone might disturb others: the movies, concerts, restaurants, parks, beaches ... all these places, that once had the potential to be sanctuaries from the noise pollution of modern life, have been permanently contaminated.

While I agree that the technology is useful and can be helpful in emergencies, there is no doubt that it has also contributed greatly to the decline in civility in our culture here in the US of A. To make it worse, we now have people using those melodious "two-way" phones in restaurants, so that not only do I get to hear their loud, obnoxious voice throughout my meal, I'm also treated to the other end of the conversation as well ... complete with loud beeps and crackling static.

If I did what I wanted to do in these situations, there would be many proctologists in my city removing electronic devices from their patients' anal orifices.

so, should folks who happen to be traveling in pairs doing their banking or shopping or getting coffee also not be allowed to talk to each other? How come there are no signs that say that?

While i am all for being polite (and i've said it more than once that i hate my cell phone and rarely talk into it, at home, or in public) if you're not willing to ask someone to take it outside (a loud convo at a movie theatre) then you shouldn't be a coward and use a little device to shut people up.

While i am all for being polite (and i've said it more than once that i hate my cell phone and rarely talk into it, at home, or in public) if you're not willing to ask someone to take it outside (a loud convo at a movie theatre) then you shouldn't be a coward and use a little device to shut people up.

bingo.

sorry, i remember you talking about that breakfast place banning kids and pretty much thought you crumbled them up and ate them on your salad. again, this place has become so insane i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not...and i'm usually as good at detecting that as i am boob jobs.

bingo.

sorry, i remember you talking about that breakfast place banning kids and pretty much thought you crumbled them up and ate them on your salad. again, this place has become so insane i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not...and i'm usually as good at detecting that as i am boob jobs.

You should invent a thing.