Discuss: "We're the 49ers" is a better song than "Super Bowl Shuffle"

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man. This has been a pretty good weekend for football.

Just so we're clear, you are implying that Gooddell fixed this game, right?

El.

Oh.

El.

That definsive hold was weak fella.

I think I pretty much know where the commisioner stands on his light handed punishment for cheating.

A big market team undefeated this late into the season is a dream for the NFL. Have they played a non-prime time game in a month?

I think I pretty much know where the commisioner stands on his light handed punishment for cheating.

A big market team undefeated this late into the season is a dream for the NFL. Have they played a non-prime time game in a month?

I love sports conspiracy theorists.

Wow! What a game. So scary.

Great ending though, which is what counts.

If the Pats don't get it together, the Steelers are gonna take it to them...and I will have a silent Monday.

The holding call was solid. You can make a case that Gaffney didn't control the ball through the touchdown catch, but what happened to Ben Watson was a textbook defensive hold.

And the league set it up so that the "best" games can be moved to the evening slots late in the season, for ratings. It is what it is, but please explain to me why the NFL shouldn't want a team with a chance to go undefeated playing in one of their prime time games every week? I'm not a Pats fan, but I recognize that they should be playing night games every week.

So which you rather see. Undefeated or Big Gooseegg? I actually want both, but rather see NE go 16-0. Has 0-16 ever happened?

12-0 NE

0-12 Miami

4 games left, very much a reality for both teams.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but don't they play each other the last game of the season?

So which you rather see. Undefeated or Big Gooseegg? I actually want both, but rather see NE go 16-0. Has 0-16 ever happened?

12-0 NE

0-12 Miami

4 games left, very much a reality for both teams.

When the NFL was formed in 1920, winless seasons were not uncommon. In fact, for the first ten years, from 1920-29, there was always at least one team which went winless. Between 1930 and World War II, only the 1934 Cincinnati Reds went winless. The Reds were 0-8-0 when they folded with three games remaining in the season. A new team, called the St. Louis Gunners, was formed. The Gunners had been an independent team operating in the area and they went 1-2 in the remaining three games.

World War II saw a fewer players available for NFL action and, as a result, some teams suffered more than others. The 1942 Detroit Lions went 0-11; the 1943 Chicago Cardinals went 0-10 and the combined Card-Pitt team of 1944 went 0-10.

Since World War II, only the expansion Dallas Cowboys of 1960 (0-11-1), the expansion Tampa Bay Bucs of 1976 (0-14), and the 1982 Baltimore Colts (0-8-1 in a strike-shortened season) have gone winless.

source Sports 2000

The holding call was solid. You can make a case that Gaffney didn't control the ball through the touchdown catch, but what happened to Ben Watson was a textbook defensive hold.

And the league set it up so that the "best" games can be moved to the evening slots late in the season, for ratings. It is what it is, but please explain to me why the NFL shouldn't want a team with a chance to go undefeated playing in one of their prime time games every week? I'm not a Pats fan, but I recognize that they should be playing night games every week.

colts 2005 - 13 - 0. Lost on week 15 playing a 1:00 game. Probably wouldn't generate the same ratings extravaganza. That could've been before flex scheduling though.