I only started getting into him fairly recently. And, over that period I have come to the conclusion that anything he has had anything to do with, musically, has been amazing and brilliant.

He may be the single most brilliant musical figure of our time, IMO.

From production, to creating his own albums, to creating a system (Oblique Strategies) that seems to bring out the best in musicians. The guy is (pardon the term) unfuckwithable.

Seriously.

:worship

I am not familiar with this. Could you elaborate?

Nearly impossible to describe.

But, essentially, it's a deck of tarot-like cards. Each card has a message/image designed to guide the artist through the creative process, while still letting the artist be soverign. The artist can create their own meaning for each card drawn. Here's the web site:

http://www.rtqe.net/ObliqueStrategies/OSintro.html

It's freaking cool.

Anyone want to rank their favorite Eno releases for this newbie? I don't know where to start. :unsure

my top 5:

Another Green World

Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

Here Come the Warm Jets

Apollo (Atmospheres and Soundtracks)

Before And After Science

then there are his collaborations with Robert Fripp, which are worth checking out.

my top 5:

Another Green World

Here Come the Warm Jets

Before And After Science

then there are his collaborations with Robert Fripp, which are worth checking out.

An excellent list.

His collaborations with David Byrne (My Life in the Bush of Ghosts) and John Cale (Wrong Way Up) are also good, but in very different ways.

I got my first tatse of Eno last Friday when I picked up Another Green World on a whim, and I am definitely glad I made that purchase. Its a phenomenal record and I look forward to discovering more of his stuff.

I'd recommend his collaborations with David Byrne and John Cale - brilliant.

And for something completely different, Here Come The Warm Jets - unlike anything you'd imagine Eno would come out with, it could be one of the best pop albums of the 70's.

my top 5:

Another Green World

Here Come the Warm Jets

Before And After Science

Replace Apollo with the Cale collaboration (Wrong Way Up) and that's pretty much my take on it, too.

Brian Eno is awesome. :yes

my top 5:

Another Green World

Here Come the Warm Jets

Before And After Science

Eno has produced more records himself, with other people and for other people than just about anyone. It is amazing what a busy guy he has been over the years. The Ambient Music series are also good.

LouieB

1) Taking Tiger Mountain

2) Here Come The Warm Jets

3) Before & After Science

4) Another Green World

5) Wrong Way Up (Eno & Cale)

6) My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Eno & Byrne)

7) Music for Airports

8) Music for Films

9) Another Day On Earth

10) No Pussyfooting (Fripp & Eno)

Those would be my top 10, but I don't have much of the ambient stuff. I love the guy.

Minor Wilco connection: I saw this band open for Wilco a couple years ago (I think it was Elf Power) who closed their set with "Needles in the Camel's Eye." That blew my friggin' mind.

also, 801 Live is a pretty much awesome live album. eno does some of his 70s album tracks and also a terrific cover of 'tomorrow never knows'.
Pretty much awesome is correct. There is a studio album that is about the same.

110) No Pussyfooting (Fripp & Eno)

I don't have much of the ambient stuff.

I broke down and ordered a kind of expensive vinyl copy of that awhile back. Many of his albums including the ambients are out of print I think, not completely sure.

Robert Fripp was quite the producer there for awhile.

LouieB

so wonderful to see a Brian Eno thread that simply states how amazing his music is.

i have such an emotionally beautiful attachment to "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)"

it's great great little album. listened to it endlessly last year.

"Eno is God."

and for a good reason.