• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

:lol

wow! that baby outfit looks fab!

just had the four day holiday weekend. MUCH crafting to be had!

knit up a beret out of some thick/thin blue wool...the formula seems to be quite easy, but i leaned on the proprietor of a new knit shop in my neighborhood to get me rolling. (the young woman who owns the shop is also a drummer. rad!)

did some serious work on the quilt that's just passed it's 4 year anniversary. HOME STRETCH! it's all machine quilted but for some hand quilted stars in the border. i'll try to get some pix hooked up here.

also worked for a couple hours on a cotton blanket i've been knitting since 2003.

how do these things last so long? :huh

dumb old job. :ermm

ok. here me out on this...am considering buying a...knitting machine.

(waiting for gasps and shouts of "heretic!" to die down.)

i have a lot of ideas for sweaters with small patterns knit into large areas of solid color. i haven't made any of them aside from baby sizes b/c the idea of knitting small gauge yarn in stockinette stitch for so long is offputting.

anyone here had experience with machine knitting?

that sounds cool!!!

I found a beautiful pattern for some long fingersless mittens today and would love to try it, but didn't wanna drop the $$ on the book right now.....I am looking into fair isle mittens...... :shifty

that sounds cool!!!

I found a beautiful pattern for some long fingersless mittens today and would love to try it, but didn't wanna drop the $$ on the book right now.....I am looking into fair isle mittens...... :shifty

I've got lots of fingerless mitten patterns. Check your Ravelry account; I'll send you links.

What I'm thinking are gloves/mittens that end between the first and second knuckles. Like this:

330612095_0ccec78407.jpg

What I'm thinking are gloves/mittens that end between the first and second knuckles. Like this:

330612095_0ccec78407.jpg

those are cool -- I'll take two!

I finally finished an afghan I have been working on for months - for a cousin. It is made from really soft and fuzzy wool and alpaca.....soft soft soft!

2085997366_b5ec77ba9b.jpg

Very nice, my aunt used to make afghans for us kids when I was a yung-un. I miss them.

those are cool -- I'll take two!

Get in line. Someone just asked me to make a pair for $$ - my first commissioned knitting job! :dancing

The afghan's gorgeous, Kate!

• 2 weeks later...

KATE! that blanket looks and sounds amazingly cozy!

lucky, lucky cousin. :wub

when i make quilts to give away, i always sleep under them once or twice before they go out. just have to. :monkey

also: am knitting these gloves:

fetching from knitty

i'm using a deep orange merino/cashmere/microfibre blend. i copied the pattern wrong (sigh) so the cuffs are actually about 4 cables longer. still: perfect for my jackets with loose cuffs.

330612095_0ccec78407.jpg

poppy, if i had looked back a couple of pages, i would have seen you post this pic. this is the pattern i am knitting now.

if one doesn't add the extra, oh, 20-odd rows of cabling, these gloves can be finished in two days.

I screwed up the cabling on the first pair I knit, but I decided they worked well on me. They go about 1/3 of the way to my elbow. I also used a tweed yarn (heh ... I just typed Tweedy). It sort of obscures the cables, but overall I like the effect:

315230724_14d7da30b3.jpg

If you look over my left shoulder, you'll notice a quilt my granny made with the scraps from all the clothes she made for me when I was a kid.

I also used a tweed yarn (heh ... I just typed Tweedy).

:lol

i wonder if we made the same error transcribing the pattern!

i can pick out the "grandma's flower garden" pattern quilt behind you. what a wonderful gift! i have a couple quilts my grandmother made from my dad's old shirts when he was little. she was a seamstress, so all the scraps worked their way into her quilts.

i can pick out the "grandma's flower garden" pattern quilt behind you. what a wonderful gift! i have a couple quilts my grandmother made from my dad's old shirts when he was little. she was a seamstress, so all the scraps worked their way into her quilts.

My granny was a professional seamstress, too. She's almost 82 and still does some quilting. Last year she found some quilt tops made by my great-granny, who died in 1980, and finished them. I got two of them - one made from old feedsacks and another that looks like it might have come from Pottery Barn circa 2007. It's our bedspread.

No better than I quilt, I've saved a lot of Clara Jane's baby clothes to make a quilt. It'll probably be a plain ol' patchwork, since that's all I can do. I just know how much I love looking at the quilt with all my old baby clothes, and how many memories it brings. I've got boxes of old clothes and my granny's fabric scrap hand-me-downs, waiting for me to actually learn to sew and do something with them.