Attention Crafty People

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We should start our own Ravelry group. :w00t

If anyone wants to friend me, my user name is daylightsparks.

When I get home tonight, I'll start a group! My Ravelry name's poppymom.

That eyeball yarn would make the coolest hat ever! I'm thinking a 1920s-style crochet cloche.

Turns out it's really easy to start a Ravelry group. I just started one for us called, originally, "Via Chicago". I'm sending invites to Reni, Natalie and Austrya, since those are the only VC Ravelry member names I have. If I missed anyone, just join the group. I'm on my ma's computer and my time's a little limited, so we don't have any snazzy graphics or banners. If anyone wants to whip them up, go for it!

the way it works is that you sign up - and then you are put on a waiting list - you will get your "invite" within 1-2 weeks.....I think it took mine like 8 or 9 days....it wasn't a really long time....and worth the wait. I love Ravelry!

i need someone to teach me. I'm not good with written directions. I have to see it in order to do it. i am good with graph paper though. I probably could design fun things. when i was a teenager i designed a hat and mitten set for the mom of the little girls i was the babysitter for. They had snowflakes. she knitted the set for me--turned out nice. I wonder what happened to that little set? i guess it was about a million years ago.

i need someone to teach me. I'm not good with written directions. I have to see it in order to do it. i am good with graph paper though. I probably could design fun things. when i was a teenager i designed a hat and mitten set for the mom of the little girls i was the babysitter for. They had snowflakes. she knitted the set for me--turned out nice. I wonder what happened to that little set? i guess it was about a million years ago.
the way it works is that you sign up - and then you are put on a waiting list - you will get your "invite" within 1-2 weeks.....I think it took mine like 8 or 9 days....it wasn't a really long time....and worth the wait. I love Ravelry!

OK, I did that. Maybe by the time I get brought in, I'll have that skull hat done!

Join us, Lys! Join us! :)

I'm also a visual learner and it took me forever to get the hang of knitting. Debbie Stoller's "Stitch and Bitch" book was the only thing I could understand. The website Knitting Help has free little videos that demonstrate every single knitting-related step you'll ever need to know. I still refer to it all the time.

Or, just hang out at a yarn shop. Loiter long enough and someone will teach you.

that is impressive!

jen, if you pick up a pair of needles and a ball of yarn, someone in a shop will usually teach you the two basic stitches. i liked having a book when i was at home to remember just how to do things.

that said, you would probably do really well knitting from a chart rather than transcribing pattern directions!

My mom-in-law gave me 3 curtains that she wants turned into valances. It's all really sheer fabric.

ain't it always the way?

the minute people know you have a crafty skill, they give you projects. :yeaahh

in the last month i've gotten these requests:

-"can you knit me a suit?"

-"can you make me a skirt?"

-"would you make a quilt for me of my daughter's baby clothes?"

-from my niece (whose quilt was HAND appliqued, and took me two years to finish): "i'd like you to make me another quilt. so that this time it's special."

-from my mother: "i want another quilt. like the one you made for your aunt."

good gravy.

still, once while visiting my sister in rural minnesota in january, i did sew the laundry room curtains she'd been intending to make.

yes, but that whole fine motor skills thing throws me.....and with a speeding needle and the potential to tear a hole in my finger? eeeerrrrr.......

I guess my first step would be to get a sewing machine....birthday is a long way off. My mom was going to give me one of her old Singers, but it is not in working shape.....bah.

Sewing doesn't involve math, but it involves geometry which is even worse! :blink

I need to drag out the sewing machine. I need to make dog beds, and I'm considering a curtain-making attempt.

I can't sew things from a pattern. They always turn out way too big.

I can sew just from making things up or from tutorials. I love to repurpose clothing too. I make Gracie dresses from Jason's old work shirts and I make Jacob and Grace pants from old t-shirts. That kind of stuff is easy.

IT'S WORKING!!

i had to thread one of the lower loops (phew! austrya, i see what you mean. :omg ), and reseat the needles. they are a little uneven. all of the illustrations in the manual EXCEPT TWO show the needles even. the extreme close up shows them uneven. what's on your machine, america?

still! i am very excited to just try some stuff out.

the thread in the machine is red, but i bought some cones of good old neutral gray last time i was hopped up to learn the machine.

wooo!

poppydawn (from rtt): One of my friends made some very simple flannel baby blankets with two layers of fabric serged together. So simple, but so cute and durable. She gave us two blankets when my daughter was born and we're still using them nearly four years later. Best baby blankets in the world!

poppy-were the fabric layers tied in the middle and serged on the edges? i've got a fabric for 3 such blankets in my closet. i'd planned to just layer and quilt them.

also: don't have a project yet. just wanted to learn the machine first. i think i'll experiment with the rolled edge.

one snag: i'm not able to disable the moving blade. i think i'll have to take a panel off the machine to see what's not working. :ermm