Biggest Surprises?

Please fix your headphones.

I didn't say it was bad or anything, just not great. A bit like I think Boxer; or Neon Bible; or For Emma, Forever Ago; or In Rainbows (albums lots of other people like this year) all have songs I like on them, but as entire albums I can take or leave them. It's not that I can't see why other people would like them, but they're just only 50% my cup of tea as opposed to 100% (with 2 sugars).

Not really surprised by too much this year (well, nothing on the level of Lindsey Buckingham's Under the Skin from last year).

Biggest disappointment is an easy one;

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81

After loving Howl to death, this one was just appalling.

heh.

whereas i loved the first album to death, second was a disappointment but still rocked at least, and only liked maybe 4 or 5 songs on Howl.

i enjoy a handful of Baby 81 quite a lot and would put it still second by quite a bit behind the first S/T, but definitley got into it a lot more than Howl. but I mostly really only like them when they're ripping off JAMC.

Pleasant surprises:

Dino Jr - Beyond is much better than I ever would have imagined it could be...a reunion that worked.

Robert Plant & Allison Krauss - A really nice listen

Kings of Leon - These guys are straight forward simple RNR but they do it well and are maturing nicely.

Don't laugh...

Pink - I like it more than I thought I might. She surprises me.

Disappointments? The record industry as a whole

DBT - I love 'em but the EP on Itunes is eh/shrug in other words nothing to get excited about.

Disappointments

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger: Now, I love Ryan and all, but this was not as good as previous offerings and maybe a little safe for him...

That's how I felt about Easy Tiger, too. It's not a bad album (I ranked it in my top 15 for the year), but it's safe and sort of boring, and those are two words I never want to use to describe Ryan Adams.

I'm so glad to see some negative comments about We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. All year I've been thinking it was overrated and a far cry from their great work back when they were a trio. That Modest Mouse is gone now, though, and they're practically bubble gum pop to me now. I liked a few of the songs, but I'm shocked to see this album making so many year-end lists.

My biggest surprises for the year were the new albums by Radiohead, Kanye West, and the Nels Cline Singers. I've never been a big Radiohead fan, but I bought In Rainbows because I supported their brave venture. I was shocked when I enjoyed the album, and it's been one of my most listened to albums in the second half of the year. I think Kanye West matured a lot on Graduation. I've always liked a few of his songs, but I think this is by far his most consistent and best album.

The Nels Cline Singers were my best discovery of 2007. I think I prefer their previous two albums, but Draw Breath was the first one I heard, and I immediately loved it. Something about their work just clicks with me in a way that nothing else has for a long time.

Disappointments:

Radiohead. This album just isn't good. It's been four or five years and this is what they ended up with? I guess I have to start looking at them like I look at the Beatles: respected, sure, but please don't make me listen to them. Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many people enjoying this. Maybe it's because it was free? Videotape is one of the lamest songs in history.

And for surprises:

Panda Bear. Not huge into Animal Collective or Young Prayer, so this came out of nowhere for me. If it weren't for the awesome album art, I would have never listened to it.

Jens Lekman. nothing at all like I thought it would be. First thing I heard from this guy and it was great.

I was also suprised by thurston moore's record. not that I didn't think it'd be good just didn;t think it'd sound like it did. what with all the acoustic guitar n stuff. it's great

Suprises:

Animal Collective & Fiery Furnaces both caught up with me this year. From what I heard prior, I was ready to go about my life without listening to either band, but both new albums made something click and i'm happy they did.

Disappointments:

The White Stripes. I second whoever disliked the production. It seemed Jack had it right all along about how they should record, the quicker the better. the songs here are dressed up rather than fully realized. I own all their records but couldn't buy this one, even with one of their best cover photos.

Fountains Of Wayne - "Traffic & Weather" - Have they always been this mediocre?

Umm, no. That's why it was so disappointing.

What an absolute phone-it-in, no hook, lame-lyric, boring-a$$ piece of dung. Especially compared to their last one (Welcome Interstate Managers), which was a solid A in my rock grade-book. A shame.