R.E.M. - ACCELERATE

There was a time when recording artists realized that their time had passed and that the best way to keep their career alive was to play hits and fan faves and leave it at that. I can't imagine any reason to get very excited about an REM record when they made many great albums with great songs (that are still played at least once an hour on WXRT). At some point REM is going to have to embrace its oldness (not unlike the Pixies and a myriad of other groups) and play the back catalogue and leave it at that. Not a bad way to make a living frankly.

LouieB

I think they should play more old songs and smaller venues...I think that will help them surge in current popularity! :dancing

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time when recording artists realized that their time had passed and that the best way to keep their career alive was to play hits and fan faves and leave it at that. I can't imagine any reason to get very excited about an REM record when they made many great albums with great songs (that are still played at least once an hour on WXRT). At some point REM is going to have to embrace its oldness (not unlike the Pixies and a myriad of other groups) and play the back catalogue and leave it at that. Not a bad way to make a living frankly.

LouieB

Wow, I disagree. Certainly the newer REM albums don't stand up to the older ones, but the new REM is still better than a lot of stuff out there, and there have been a couple really solid tracks on each of the last few records. I don't think they've become entirely irrelevant just yet. I would really hate for them to completely give up and devolve into some self-parodying REM cover band. That'd be sad.

Interesting comment about making a living, though - I imagine that in some way they feel responsible for "REM, Inc." and all of the people it employs. I suppose that's one reason they feel compelled to keep going.

They did play a number of oldies at the SXSW show - Auctioneer and Second Guessing, off the top of my head. I'm hoping they work a lot more of the older tunes into the upcoming setlists. They're still a brilliant live act.

pleasant first listen.

Mr Richards stands out in beauty.

btw, there'll be a DVD with the new record as well. not sure if anyone's mentioned that yet.

with Sky Blue Sky in mind, i think we can all relate to how awesome that is. that dvd makes it worthwhile to me.

A deluxe edition of the album will be released in addition to the standard edition.

The deluxe edition will include the CD along with a DVD' date='

featuring the Vincent Moon film 6 Days (which includes behind-the-scenes footage and performance pieces of various songs on the album),

plus two MP3 bonus tracks "Redhead Walking" and "Airliner," and a 64-page booklet.[/quote']

I've now listened to R.E.M.'s latest a few times at http://www.ilike.com/REM

Sadly, it's not hitting me like I'd hoped. A handful of songs sound refreshing in a rocking sort of way. But there's still something majorly lacking from R.E.M. And I think most of the problem is Stipe. His lyrics still sound forced and too thought-out and too obvious. I miss his sublety or mystery....whatever it was that transfixes me to their earlier songs.

Man Sized Wreath might be my favorite. Hollow Man is kinda nice....I like it the way I like Great Beyond....kind of fluffy, but fun.

To me, R.E.M. held some sort of beautiful mystery in their albums for a longer stretch than any band in my lifetime......from Chronic Town to Up, they just had "it". I don't really know what "it" was, and sometimes "it" was less so in some records than others, but each album had at least a good part of "it"....something that made you feel in another world or dream state when listening to it. Reveal had tiny touches of "it", but Around the Sun and now Accelerate are R.E.M. completely void of the R.E.M. magic.

They'll still be awesome live.....that's one thing that won't ever change.

I've now listened to R.E.M.'s latest a few times at http://www.ilike.com/REM

Sadly, it's not hitting me like I'd hoped. A handful of songs sound refreshing in a rocking sort of way. But there's still something majorly lacking from R.E.M. And I think most of the problem is Stipe. His lyrics still sound forced and too thought-out and too obvious. I miss his sublety or mystery....whatever it was that transfixes me to their earlier songs.

Man Sized Wreath might be my favorite. Hollow Man is kinda nice....I like it the way I like Great Beyond....kind of fluffy, but fun.

To me, R.E.M. held some sort of beautiful mystery in their albums for a longer stretch than any band in my lifetime......from Chronic Town to Up, they just had "it". I don't really know what "it" was, and sometimes "it" was less so in some records than others, but each album had at least a good part of "it"....something that made you feel in another world or dream state when listening to it. Reveal had tiny touches of "it", but Around the Sun and now Accelerate are R.E.M. completely void of the R.E.M. magic.

Couldn't disagree more. Was ready to write them off completely after "Around The Sun" but I think this is a great album. I probably said this somewhere else but the album to me seems urgent, unforced, thrashy, fun and fairly instant. It contains very familiar elements but doesn

BBC Radio 2

This is R.E.M.'s first ever show at London's Royal Albert Hall. It celebrates 60 years of the ICA, the Institute of Contemporary Arts, and comes on the eve of the release of their eagerly anticipated new studio album, 'Accelerate'. Their first since 2004's 'Around The Sun'.
REM hasn't written a song in 10 years as good as Guided By Voices / Robert Pollard's 500th-best song during the same 10 years

:rotfl

Nothing to be taken away from Guided By Voices because they are talented. I have even seen them live 2 times and they put on a great show but you can't be serious?

Do you own Up? Tell me those songs aren't well constructed? Reveal certianly had its moments and Accelerate is Very Solid.

Give it another listen :thumbup

Has anybody given this a spin yet? I've just listened to it, and I'm wondering what everyone else thinks? Most reviews I've read have been really positive. I'm not so sure yet. I won't say more yet, less I ruin it for someone, but what did you all think? I'll chime in in a bit...

Previous thread on it.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...0&start=160

I love it, but I may be biased :dancing

I can't reconcile my previous love of REM with how over them I am now.

I remember buying the CHRONIC TOWN ep and literally wearing it out.

I remember making Cassette copys of MURMUR for several professors and fellow students when I was in Grad school...turning as many people on to them as I possibly could. (My own private street team if you will).

I remember waiting outside my local record shop waiting for them to open on the release date for RECKONING.

I remember the muted excitement of seeing the video for "You can't get there from here" on MTV.

I remember feeling a bit betrayed when they signed with the major label (Warner Brothers) for GREEN.

The commercial succes on the 90's seemed like a validation.

But I after NEW ADVENTURES IN HI FI, I was well and truly out. What once seemed to be a heady mix of rawness and sophistication seemed descend into parody. Michael Stipe's activism was more important than the music...a focus rather than a by-product (a trap which their contemporaries U2 are struggling to avoid).

I think they should have called it a day after Bill Berry retired.

I am so out on them, a couple of years ago I sold all but a couple of their CDs (MURMUR and DOCUMENT).

I can't reconcile my previous love of REM with how over them I am now.

I remember buying the CHRONIC TOWN ep and literally wearing it out.

I remember making Cassette copys of MURMUR for several professors and fellow students when I was in Grad school...turning as many people on to them as I possibly could. (My own private street team if you will).

I remember waiting outside my local record shop waiting for them to open on the release date for RECKONING.

I remember the muted excitement of seeing the video for "You can't get there from here" on MTV.

I remember feeling a bit betrayed when they signed with the major label (Warner Brothers) for GREEN.

The commercial succes on the 90's seemed like a validation.

But I after NEW ADVENTURES IN HI FI, I was well and truly out. What once seemed to be a heady mix of rawness and sophistication seemed descend into parody. Michael Stipe's activism was more important than the music...a focus rather than a by-product (a trap which their contemporaries U2 are struggling to avoid).

I think they should have called it a day after Bill Berry retired.

I am so out on them, a couple of years ago I sold all but a couple of their CDs (MURMUR and DOCUMENT).

New Adventures In Hi-Fi is their best post 1980's album (yes better than Automatic)

Surprisingly, that one struck me so cold that I was out.

Same here. Automatic was their finale, for me.

And I actually feel betrayed by them. At one point in time, U2 and REM were the saviors of rock.

U2 got a little bloated but REM fell off the fucking planet.

Maybe it's all a bit harsh on my part, but I look at how relelvant and moving I find Springsteen's work to be as he approaches 60 and the artists that looked to be the 'Springsteen's of my generation gave into the monster.

I was born the same year as Stipe and Bono. I related to those guys and felt they were on the same journey as me. They lost the way. They gave in to the easy path. Stipe moreso than Bono. Bono may be the poster boy for the irritating Rock star turned activist but at least his band still produces music that at times is relevant.

I still think REM should have packed it in when Bill Berry retired. There's something to be said for the 'band of brothers' concept of making music.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi might be my favorite REM album. Definately the best post-80s.

yeah, it's top 3-5 for me...

it has the best production of any of their records too. those drums on How The West Was Won, jesus... :o

yeah, it's top 3-5 for me...

it has the best production of any of their records too. those drums on How The West Was Won, jesus... :o

That's one of my favorites too. I think it may be one of their most underrated records.

Interesting point considering so much of it was recorded at soundcheck, backstage, etc. Unfortunately they didn't learn that lesson and instead relied on studio production more heavily than ever in the albums that followed.

New Adventures In Hi-Fi is their best post 1980's album (yes better than Automatic)

I love New Adventures. Not at first, but it was definately a grower for me and now it is nearly the only REM CD I listen to. There is just so much going on on the record that it is hard at first to grasp and harder still to ignore as you hear it more...at least for me.

And I actually feel betrayed by them. At one point in time, U2 and REM were the saviors of rock.

U2 got a little bloated but REM fell off the fucking planet.

Maybe it's all a bit harsh on my part, but I look at how relelvant and moving I find Springsteen's work to be as he approaches 60 and the artists that looked to be the 'Springsteen's of my generation gave into the monster.

I was born the same year as Stipe and Bono. I related to those guys and felt they were on the same journey as me. They lost the way. They gave in to the easy path. Stipe moreso than Bono. Bono may be the poster boy for the irritating Rock star turned activist but at least his band still produces music that at times is relevant.

I still think REM should have packed it in when Bill Berry retired. There's something to be said for the 'band of brothers' concept of making music.

I don't buy the saviors of rock stuff any more than I buy Thom Yorke whining about having to destroy rock in order to save himself. They are what they are and we accept them as is or we don't. REM and U2 became what they set out to be. There was nothing to save, at the time these bands came on the scene there were still plenty of great bands playing, albeit they were not playing the Chicago Stadium or soldier Field, but they were out there. REM And U2 just happened to strike a chord with a wider audience than other more talented bands did. Bands like the replacements, Husker Du and X.

Anyone who thinks REM is pure crap since Berry departed should really re-think that position. True the stuff they have release post-bill is not their best, and collectively the albums are probably their worst. But these albums still have their moments and contain some pretty good songs, and REM remains a pretty decent live entity and can transform the turds on their official releases into worthwhile live experiences. I was very pleasantly surprised when thee songs from up came off as well as they did in concert. Though I did not buy Around the Sun, the songs from it sound pretty good on the latest live disc. At least in this manner they have not descended into a stones-like parody of themselves (i.e. any new material from the stones is usually pretty bad on the album and in performance). That being said I do have to admit that except for the UP concert I mentioned, I had pretty much given up on the band since New Adventures. So take that for what it's worth.