Charleston Rescheduled???: The Merged Superthread!

To quote Jeff Tweedy, touche'!

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, many of the fans you accuse of having a stake in Wilco achieving superstardom actually fear that they'll become superstars, because then it will be harder to get tickets than it already is.

That's a good point. I personally don't have an opinion anymore about this but I know there are many who do.

The fact that these guys are continuing to play theatres instead of sheds is noble but somewhat baffling to me. I know the acoustics, intimacy etc are much better but if Wilco REALLY wanted to sell out wouldn't they try playing big places where the sound bounces around 20 times before it ever hits your ears?

One of these days we'll look back at this argument and laugh. Like maybe tomorrow.

Show was on the 29th of March, originally. It has been RESCHEDULED for August 7th. They have done nothing that can be construed at not holding up their end of the bargain. They offered full refunds, or the same seats for the next show. I don't see why this has to be said 400 fucking times. They are well within their rights to reschedule a show, and if you people would go read your tickets, on the back of it, I'm sure you'll find something about the band having the right to cancel or reschedule shows without warning or explanation.

If you don't want to be a fan because of this, fine, fuck you, they don't need you. If they had rescheduled because Nels had a bad haircut, would you guys be just as pissed?

And I understand that, but, there is also a measure of disrespect in their decision

Why? Because you say so?

Wow. I think you may have helped illustrate my point.

Why did I just know that this post would eventually include some slagging on VC?

There seemed to be a question as to whether these "getting screwed by the band is an honor" fans existed on VC. If you happen to be one of them, it might not have been worth your while to read my posting.

That's not Wilco's fault. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Thank you, yes. My point being that before spending money to attend a Wilco show in the future, first and foremost in my mind will be the chances of an abrupt cancellation. In my case, hundreds of dollars. Hundreds of dollars... that's a big deal to most of us here in fly-over country. As to why the cancellation took place, weather or family illness within the band would certainly soften the blow, but SNL? In my current situation, rescheduling and cancellation would be one in the same, given the amount of time, money and effort it would take to go see them. A totally unreasonable opinion, obviously.

I still find it baffling that even after the giving tree of Wilco hast given the gift of a certain string of shows, and people praise the band etc etc there are still the angry ignorant group of fans with unrealistic expectations that get upset when Wilco snags some presents for themselves...it seems like every time Wilco does something for Wilco they're sellouts. There's nothing wrong with being upset, but don't attach ignorance and stupidity to your anger and throw out labels like "sellouts" and start swearing off the band and thinking Jeff Tweedy personally was sitting in his living room with Tony Margherita on how to sell the band more and extort money out of their appearances. It's fucking SNL, they're playing for gazillions of people, including you. Get over it. I understand there are a lotta conflicting things going on with Charleston and making plans and etc but don't take it so personal...The band has to give to themselves every once in awhile, so if you're going to get so personal about the band's decision, like you know them individually, then be happy instead of raving mad.

Thank you, yes. My point being that before spending money to attend a Wilco show in the future, first and foremost in my mind will be the chances of an abrupt cancellation. In my case, hundreds of dollars. Hundreds of dollars... that's a big deal to most of us here in fly-over country. As to why the cancellation took place, weather or family illness within the band would certainly soften the blow, but SNL? In my current situation, rescheduling and cancellation would be one in the same, given the amount of time, money and effort it would take to go see them. I totally unreasonable opinion, obviously.

I don't want to minimize how much this obviously sucks for you financially, and my comment was way too flippant in that regard.

My underlying point, though, is it's ridiculous to expect an artist not to reschedule a show simply because some of the fans go to considerable hassle and expense to get to that show. That hassle and expense aren't the artist's responsibility. If you are willing to travel great distances and spend money on hotel stays and other expenses all centered around a single concert, that's a risk you're willingly taking on. If Nels Cline had tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and broken his wrist and the show had been postponed, you'd be just as inconvenienced as you are now. These things happen, and while they suck, slagging off the band about it says more about you than it does about the band.

M. Christine, if you know what vitriol means then why accuse me of it? Odd. Also, why quote non-ellsworths in a post directed at me? Strange.
I honestly can't tell which side of the argument you're taking here. It sounds like you are describing the posters who said they have based their entire existence around seeing this one show.

Disappointment is one thing, but all the projected vitriol and extrapolation is just patently absurd.

Now maybe the virtiol statement didn't make it crystal clear that I was talking not about you, but the anger and bitterness expressed in this thread. For that I apologize.

The only time I used the word "you" meaning you ellsworth, was when I was questioning which side of the argument you were on.

I don't want to minimize how much this obviously sucks for you financially, and my comment was way too flippant in that regard.

My underlying point, though, is it's ridiculous to expect an artist not to reschedule a show simply because some of the fans go to considerable hassle and expense to get to that show. That hassle and expense aren't the artist's responsibility. If you are willing to travel great distances and spend money on hotel stays and other expenses all centered around a single concert, that's a risk you're willingly taking on. If Nels Cline had tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and broken his wrist and the show had been postponed, you'd be just as inconvenienced as you are now. These things happen, and while they suck, slagging off the band about it says more about you than it does about the band.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here... I have no financial interest in the Charleston gig. I happen to agree with ellsworth, and was tossing in my 2 cents. The argument boils down to whether SNL is a keen reason to cancel a show, and whether deep personal glee and sense of triumph over a declining late-night weekend sketch comedy show appearance to the point of euphoria is a healthy fan outlook.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here... I have no financial interest in the Charleston gig. I happen to agree with ellsworth, and was tossing in my 2 cents. The argument boils down to whether SNL is a keen reason to cancel a show, and whether deep personal glee and sense of triumph over a declining late-night weekend sketch comedy show appearance to the point of euphoria is a healthy fan outlook.

In turn of events that I never quite saw coming or could ever even imagine or conceive of - ShuckOwens and I are in total agreement

Not that this means anything, but why are these divisive arguments (re:Charleston, VW commercials) always started by someone new to the board. What ever happened to the guy who went nuts about the VW commercials, anyway? Essentially, is Ellsworth is Jeff Tweedy?

Not that this means anything, but why are these divisive arguments (re:Charleston, VW commercials) always started by someone new to the board. What ever happened to the guy who went nuts about the VW commercials, anyway? Essentially, is Ellsworth is Jeff Tweedy?

1) I am not 'new to the board'. You have been here less than a year longer than me!! I only post when i feel the need. Trading, reviews, and issues that i assume boarders would care about, i.e. scalping and bad decisions.

2) Your post is evidence of the point some of us are trying to make about the lock step mindset that seems to makeup many VCers. Read it slowly. It's ironic. As I said to EL Cliff Hubbard, some of you all aren't very good at debate.