How to explain Wilco

Does anyone else get frustrated with trying to explain Wilco? "what's their music like?" kills me. At least in my circles, few have heard about them. Of course, let me explain. I am 52 years old and until these guys came along, resigned myself to listening to music I liked from the past and new Neil Young (although he is starting to piss me off). I mention Wilco even to young folks and most of the time, I get a blank stare. There is a certain coolness with liking music that no one else likes but I prefer these guys getting their due. I remember getting excited when a new Dylan or The Who album came around but not until Wilco have I had that same experience.

I am sure I am missing out on wonderful music that I simply have no knowledge of but these guys have paid their dues and deserve more recognition. The Ryman show was never mentioned or reviewed in the local papers even though it was a spectacular event.

So, how does one describe Wilco? Do you want more popularity?

I used "like the Beatles meet the Replacements" once.

I don't recall the whole conversation, but someone told my brother once that Wilco doesn't do anything special. His response was, "That's like saying [salvador] Dal

I used "like the Beatles meet the Replacements" once.

I like that. Very nice. Unfortunately in my circles (and plese forgive me), someone will say "Who are The Replacements? You mean the movie?"

Maybe I need new friends.

I like that. Very nice. Unfortunately in my circles (and plese forgive me), someone will say "Who are The Replacements? You mean the movie?"

Maybe I need new friends.

Thanks, and quite possibly.

Wilco is a rock and roll band; a band that epitomizes rock and roll in the current era. They need no further classification, as far as I'm concerned. Though I wasn't around for The Band or The Who in their respective primes, I feel that Wilco took the torch from them. And really, what do you need to call The Band and The Who besides rock and roll?

Wilco is a rock and roll band; a band that epitomizes rock and roll in the current era. They need no further classification, as far as I'm concerned. Though I wasn't around for The Band or The Who in their respective primes, I feel that Wilco took the torch from them. And really, what do you need to call The Band and The Who besides rock and roll?

ditto :beer

Well said, man.

Well said, man.

Very well said!!! I don't think you can really describe these guys though - they ahve to be exerienced. though their recorded music is phenomenal - they are soooo good live, just have to see them. I have total converts from taking people to a show including young musician friend who is now almost as crazed as we are about them.

I always want to say, "Wilco is what rock music should sound like." But then I remember what I usually think of as rock (and what my friends think of as rock) and then I realize, Wilco is nothing like that. Labels are tricky, Cuz Wilco isn't really what some think of as Rock. But I hate the label "Alternative." :rolleyes

Had a proffessor once who always wanted to know what Alternative music was. Someone would tell him it was like Rock only different. He would then explain his confusion. "Rock music is a singer, two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer, and then Alternative music is a singer, two guitarists, a bass player, AND a drummer." :D

anyways, now whenever someone asks me what kind of music wilco is i just reply, "the good kind."

I usually say something along the lines of "like the Beatles, Dylan and Neil Young they go through different styles with each record." I get about halfway through an explanation of alt-country and then try to get myself to a computer as fast as possible so I can just play them some songs.

--Mike

Oh! This has been so frustrating for me too. I see exactly where you are coming from. We just want people to "get Wilco".

When I get that blank stare after mentioning Wilco, It makes me so frustrated. Then I go trying and explain they're sound, and I just get more blank stares. They're loss I guess.

Labels are tricky

That is why I despise them to no end. If we could stop labeling music and simply LISTEN, the world (and the art/music world) would be such a better place. And the same could be said about other labels (racial/political/religious etc). Labels only serve to divide people. Get rid of the labels and all we have is our own judgement, not a predisposed opinion based on a label.

Does anyone else get frustrated with trying to explain Wilco? "what's their music like?" kills me. At least in my circles, few have heard about them. Of course, let me explain. I am 52 years old and until these guys came along, resigned myself to listening to music I liked from the past and new Neil Young (although he is starting to piss me off). I mention Wilco even to young folks and most of the time, I get a blank stare. There is a certain coolness with liking music that no one else likes but I prefer these guys getting their due. I remember getting excited when a new Dylan or The Who album came around but not until Wilco have I had that same experience.

I am sure I am missing out on wonderful music that I simply have no knowledge of but these guys have paid their dues and deserve more recognition. The Ryman show was never mentioned or reviewed in the local papers even though it was a spectacular event.

So, how does one describe Wilco? Do you want more popularity?

As a matter of fact, I was walking out of the office to day with a friend and he saw the burned cds I was carrying out.

"Whatcha got there?

"Wilco"

"Wilco?"

"Yeah, Wilco. They are a band I really like."

"Oh...what kid of music?"

"Alternative folk rock with excellent musicianship and Dylanesque lyrics."

"Alternative folk rock with excellent musicianship and Dylanesque lyrics."

Ding ding, we have a winnah.

I watched this really great documentary of sonic youth making daydream nation and Thurston Moore was talking about how

he considers his band simply a Rock and Roll band. His explanation was that the palate Rock n Roll gives is limitless.

I think this applies to Wilco aswell, alt country means just as little as noise pop to me and w.e direction the band goes in

the structures are always rock n roll. Unless they make a ambient Jazz record(please don

I watched this really great documentary of sonic youth making daydream nation and Thurston Moore was talking about how he considers his band simply a Rock and Roll band. His explanation was that the palate Rock n Roll gives is limitless.

Exactly.

I think it is a statement on our culture, where we have to dissect and divide everything into neat little groups so no one can have the chance to accidentally stumble on to something that might expand their minds a little. Is "rock and roll" not good enough to describe the music?