Robert Johnson

Grant Green

Steve Howe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Muncle Douchey
Man, I can't believe I forgot Trey Anastasio.. That guy is a beast.

just found this thread and was starting to get a little upset with the lack of love for Trey.

he's probably my favorite. along with george harrison.

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

It's funny- I didn't put the Wilco guys on here, probably because I don't really think "guitar" right away when I think about Wilco's music. It's a lot more layered than that. They've got some of my favorite recent guitar lines- that warped solo of about 10 notes on "Hell is Chrome", the main riff to "Spiders", the bridge riff in "Theologians"... but Wilco is so democratic, I don't really think of Jeff and Nels as guitar gods or anything like that.

Same goes with Super Furry Animals and Talking Heads- tons of guitar work that I adore, but filled out so well by the other constituent parts that you don't necessarily think of the guitars first and foremost.

just found this thread and was starting to get a little upset with the lack of love for Trey.

Not unlike Jerry, Trey suffers from the (unjust, imo) perception of his fanbase as a bunch of burned-out birdbrains. Really a shame - his skills as an arranger and guitarist are very very good. The guy has made my jaw drop many times, sober or otherwise.

What band is Trey Anastasio in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Anastasio

I believe his latest work has been in his solo group "Trey Anastasio Band", but he is best known as the lead guitarist/vocalist for Phish. He has also been involved with several other groups and projects. I think a lot of people would agree that he's one of the greatest guitarist that has ever lived.. Very technical player with amazing feel. Just listen to Phish's album "Junta".. That's some of his best work. Especially on the song "You Enjoy Myself".. Pure genius..

What band is Trey Anastasio in?

Whatever your prejudices are regarding "jambands" and such, I would recommend you find the studio version of the Phish song "Billy Breathes" and let your ears listen to one of the finest guitar solos ever committed to tape.

Whatever your prejudices are regarding "jambands" and such, I would recommend you find the studio version of the Phish song "Billy Breathes" and let your ears listen to one of the finest guitar solos ever committed to tape.

That's how I feel about his solo at the end of "Lizards". Just a haunting, gorgeous melody.

Billy Breathes is wonderful too.

01. Robbie Robertson

02. Neil Young

03. Tom Verlaine/ Richard Lloyd

04. Keith Richards

05. Sterling Morrison

06. George Harrison

07. Thurston Moore/ Lee Ranaldo

08. Jimmy Page

09. Jimi Hendrix

10. Peter Buck

11. Nick Drake

12. Prince

13. Mick Ronson

14. Dave Gilmour

15. Johnny Marr

16. James Burton

17. Bruce Springsteen

18. Paul McCartney

19. Joey Santiago

20. Marc Bolan

I guess I like lead players who play more for the song.

in no order....

Jerry Garcia

Bill Frisell

Pat Metheny

Richard Thompson (subtle and amazing)

Tom Verlaine (although hate his voice)

Neil Young

Eric Clapton (actually hate his songs etc, but love his solos!)

Jimmy Page (very sloppy live, but king of riffs)

Steve Hackett (not into genesis anymore, but love his tone, sound)

Stephen Stills (kind of a hack, but just an amazing tone)

Trey

John Fahey

Michael Hedges

Joe Walsh (love his sound)

Jeff Pevar

Peter Frampton (straight rock solos!)

David Gilmour!!!!

cant think of anymore.

A very nicely arranged solo at that. I would say listen to the studio Limb By Limb for a more straight-forward solo as well. There is some arpeggio work in that one that makes my head spin.

Also, for those that said they like guitarists that are more subtle, check out Bill Frisell. He's been mentioned in here a few time (but not nearly enough).

Okay here's mine (I know I can't count):

inpo

Bill Frisell

Jerry Garcia

Trey Anastasio

Rodney Jones

Tony Rice

Django Reinhardt

Steve Morse (with the Dregs at least)

David Gilmour

Mark Knopfler

Grant Green

Jimi Hendrix

Wes Montgomery

Joe Pass

Lenny Breau

Pat Martino

Jonny Greenwood

SRV

Tal Farlow

Mickey Melchiondo

John Fahey

Roy Buchanan

Leo Kottke

It's funny- I didn't put the Wilco guys on here, probably because I don't really think "guitar" right away when I think about Wilco's music. It's a lot more layered than that. They've got some of my favorite recent guitar lines- that warped solo of about 10 notes on "Hell is Chrome", the main riff to "Spiders", the bridge riff in "Theologians"... but Wilco is so democratic, I don't really think of Jeff and Nels as guitar gods or anything like that.

Same goes with Super Furry Animals and Talking Heads- tons of guitar work that I adore, but filled out so well by the other constituent parts that you don't necessarily think of the guitars first and foremost.

I don't necesarily judged based on the typical guitar soloes...I think it takes more smarts to compose a solo rather than just throw together a bunch of notes. ALTWYS is a good example. Not to mention his solo acoustic playing, which ranges from pretty damn good to decent. Not to mention, when the guys in Wilco get a chnace to shine, they shine: guitar freakouts in I'm The Man... Imposssible Germany, Hell is Chrome, Spiders...Then some of Tweedy's solos during his jam band phase were nicely done, and his work on Loose Fur is solid . I remember, of all people, John Mayer once said that his heroes and people he liked were the ones he couldn't picture without their instrument, and I find this true for Jeff and Nels. Sure, Jeff takes off his guitar for Hummingbird, but I feel like he's behind the wheel when he's playing. Despite seeing him in documentary and etc as a normal guy, I still feel like Jeff is a guitar hero. I'm glad he hasn't attempted any other piano or etc.

Guest Muncle Douchey
and let your ears listen to one of the finest guitar solos ever committed to tape.

that's how i've always felt about his work on push on til the day or slave to the traffic light

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

Jeff Tweedy

:thumbup

1. David Gilmour

2. Jimmi Hendrix

3. Jimmy Page

4. Chuck Berry

5. Jerry Garcia

6. Pete Townsend

7. Keith Richards

8. Greg Allman

9. Eddie Van Halen

10. Neil Young

The rest don't matter.

Duane Allman? Greg plays too, but not like his brother :thumbup

Thought of another couple that I haven't seen here, but who probably should have made my list (that's how forgeotten they are... they're a couple of my favorites and even I forgot him!):

Glenn Tilbrook (Squeeze)

Listen to the solos in "Is That Love" aor "Another Nail For My Heart" and tell me his isn't a monster!

Elliott Easton (The Cars)

Try "Best Friend's Girl" on for size.

Frank Zappa

Willie Nelson

Les Paul

Nels Cline

Marc Ribot

Jimmy Herring

Buddy Guy

Jeff Beck

Bill Frisell

Alex Lifeson