• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother called from CT between the 8th and 9th innings just to remind me: "no talking in the dug out."

I was surprised that he called me as I had called him in 2003 during the ALCS about five minutes before Boone hit the homer to say "looks like we've got this wrapped up."

I was surprised that he called me as I had called him in 2003 during the ALCS about five minutes before Boone hit the homer to say "looks like we've got this wrapped up."

Now we know who to blame ...

It's pretty cool that Varitek has now caught four no hitters.

Overshadowed last night for obvious reasons, but did anyone see the Cubs' Soto hit an inside-the-park HR? There can't be many catchers that have done that, right? I was watching on a bar TV with no sound, so perhaps they talked about it. Also in that game, Jim edmonds (still weird to be rooting for that guy) had a Willie Mays quality catch. That and Reed Johnson's catch earlier in the season and the Cubs are showing some pretty good outfielding this year.

Overshadowed last night for obvious reasons, but did anyone see the Cubs' Soto hit an inside-the-park HR? There can't be many catchers that have done that, right? I was watching on a bar TV with no sound, so perhaps they talked about it. Also in that game, Jim edmonds (still weird to be rooting for that guy) had a Willie Mays quality catch. That and Reed Johnson's catch earlier in the season and the Cubs are showing some pretty good outfielding this year.

joe mauer was last catcher with an inside the park home run.

pie had several brilliant plays this year as well and would have been standing on the hill waiting for the ball. i still am obviously having problems with edmonds.

It's pretty cool that Varitek has now caught four no hitters.

I hit record on the dvr at the beginning of the 8th (retroactive to the third inning when I tuned in) and watched the final outs/aftergame stuff several times last night.

It was really cool to see the congratulatory hugs (especially from Francona and the absolutely beaming grin from 'Tek) given to Lester, who looked dazed and elated at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that that ties Varitek for no hitters caught, although I can't remember who it was who held that record so I can't be certain that that is right.

Did Ray Schalk, like Varitek, catch 4 no-no's?

Posted by Gordon Edes, Globe Staff May 20, 2008 03:11 AM

If you go to Cooperstown and read Schalk's plaque in the Baseball Hall of Fame, that's what you'd come away believing. Here's what the plaque says:

"Caught four no-hit games including perfect game in 1922.''

So why is everyone, including the Globe, reporting that Varitek on Monday night became the first catcher to catch four no-hitters?

Because on Sept. 4, 1991, baseball's committee on statistical accuracy, chaired by Fay Vincent, changed its definition of what a no-hitter was. The committee voted 8-0 to define a no-hitter as a game of nine innings or more that ended with no hits.

The definition eliminated 38 shortened no-hitters and 12 games in which a pitcher threw nine no-hit innings, then gave up a hit in extra innings.

That's what happened with one of Schalk's no-hitters. In 1914, Jim Scott of the White Sox had a no-hitter through nine innings, but gave up two hits in the 10th. After '91, that no longer counted as a no-no.

Schalk caught a no-hitter by Joe Benz in 1914, Eddie Cicotte in 1917 and a perfect game (no hits, no walks, no errors, 27 up, 27 down) by Charlie Robertson in 1922.

Twelve catchers, including Schalk, have caught 3 no-hitters: Alan Ashby, Bill Carrigan, Charles Johnson, Del Crandall, Ed McFarland, Jeff Torborg, Jim Hegan, Luke Sewell, Schalk, Roy Campanella, Silver Flint, and Val Picinich. Yogi Berra would be included if postseason games were added as well, Berra having been behind the plate for Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series.

Charles Johnson caught 3? Weird.

I would assume he caught Al Leiter (96), Kevin Brown (97), and AJ Burnett's (01) for the Marlins.

Also, Brian Bannister is one of my favorite players in the league. He seems really intelligent and he's not afraid to talk to the media.

Guest Jules
Overshadowed last night for obvious reasons, but did anyone see the Cubs' Soto hit an inside-the-park HR? There can't be many catchers that have done that, right? I was watching on a bar TV with no sound, so perhaps they talked about it.

Should have been a regular home run, as it was over the yellow line on the wall. They mostly talked about that.