Anybody ever use the MLB.TV video package on the Internet? I can't decide whether to try it this year. It's $120 for the season or $20 a month. I'm not sure if there is a per-game rate.

I used it last year and it was great. Seriously.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it last year and it was great. Seriously.

Although I don't do MLBtv (I get the EI package) I've heard it gets progressively better each year. A head's up for those thinking about getting it that they do black out local market games, yet there is a way around this when ordering, apparently.

Although I don't do MLBtv (I get the EI package) I've heard it gets progressively better each year. A head's up for those thinking about getting it that they do black out local market games, yet there is a way around this when ordering, apparently.

It doesn't have to do with ordering--it has to do with hiding your IP address. Torpark or something like that is the best way to do this.

It doesn't have to do with ordering--it has to do with hiding your IP address. Torpark or something like that is the best way to do this.

That's what I mean. You can select a proxy IP address when ordering different from your regional IP address.

Well, I don't think it matters what IP address you order from, only when you're watching does it matter. I could be wrong.

I may be wrong as well, but my understanding is that the IP address dictates your market which dictates which games get blacked out. I have a link to IP addresses for this if anyone needs it.

Right, your IP address that you watch from, not that you order from. Last year I used MLB.tv both from my place in Chicago and at my mom's in suburban Detroit. Couldn't get Sox or Cubs games here, couldn't get Tigers games there.

I've gotten the radio and MLBtv packages for the past few years... great to be able to look in on west-coast games at 1am, but I find that I use the radio package much, much more... don't have to sit staring at the cpu. I run the computer sound through wireless speakers in the house, and get to listen to whatever game (or more appropriately, whatever announcer) I choose while cooking or gardening or whatever. Love picking up on the local color for each broadcasting team, including local adverts which are fun to hear, and being able to listen to Scully is a blessing. Hughes & Santo are great on WGN, too.

I got kinda pissed off at Santo last year while listening to a Mets-Cubs series on XM. (They only give you the home team feeds.) I don't really have any bad feelings toward the Cubs, but his boosterism rubbed me the wrong way and when the Mets came back late to win, I was like, "Take that, Santo!"

I understand why Cubs fans like him, but Santo is awful imo.

I agree.

And yet, I'm one of the few defenders of Hawk Harrelson (though I too am tired of most of his clich

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Santo is anything near an Ernie Harwell when painting a word picture, and he's as big a homer as there is (though skip and chip caray come to mind as well), but a friday afternoon cubs game at wrigley with them reading faxes and all that insanity makes for a very entertaining listen.

As an objective listener, I can't help but have a good non-partisan laugh when the Cubs are down late in a game with runners in scoring position and the batter hits an infield fly... Santo's groans of frustration are priceless.

thanks for weighing in on MLB.tv

now my concern is that since i would be using it primarily at work, i'd use too much bandwith and get in trouble.

admittedly, i don't know much about it ... maybe it wouldn't be a big deal at all

Eek!

You must have missed the memo last week. Anal fissure=hemorrhoids. But anal fissure sounds a lot cooler. In fact anal fissure might be a decent band name. Maybe if the Butthole Surfers ever get back together they can do the "anal fissure" tour.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the Boston Red Sox currently have the longest losing streak in baseball.

Whew. That felt good. :pirate

And tied with only one other team in MLB to have the best record at .500.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the Boston Red Sox currently have the longest losing streak in baseball.

Whew. That felt good. :pirate

Not to be a smug dick or anything, but technically the Pittsburgh Pirates are mired in a four-game losing streak.

You must have missed the memo last week. Anal fissure=hemorrhoids.

I missed the memo too, but that memo sounds wrong. They're not the same thing.

I missed the memo too, but that memo sounds wrong. They're not the same thing.

In the media last week they were compared to being the same thing as hemorrhoids. An anal fissure (tear) is a form of hemorrhoid. Same category.