mlb.com's multimedia center seems to indicate that it will be on mlb.tv this evening.

Also, free preview of mlb.tv for Braves-Indians, Nats-Orioles, and Padres-Angels.

well, i just turned on tv, and im watching it on nesn, so if you live in the new england area the remdog and company are presenting the game the best they can, the camera is in a very strange position, the 2nd base umpire is blocking the pitch so its impossible to see the baseball until after it makes contact and the camera switches, the sox are up 7-1 the stadium is wacky as hell, 200ft left field

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short piece on Bonds/SF in today Boston Globe. Bochy is a little overly optimistic, perhaps, and I think the take on Bonds' absence more realistic:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...to_find/?page=1

"The Giants always have been an organization known for their slugging, from Mays to Orlando Cepeda to McCovey to Bonds. There were others such as Bobby Bonds, Jack Clark, Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Ellis Burks - sluggers the fan base could hook on to. There isn't one now."

Thats the truth. Though not sure why Ellis Burks is mentioned, I almost forget he even played for us. Should have added Matt Williams and Jeff Kent.

"Nobody here - Magowan, Sabean, Bochy - wants AT&T Park to become the West Coast version of Camden Yards: a nice place to visit, but not much to see."

Very true. Well see if they act on that. I havent seen any signs of it yet.

Well, bully for Ryan Zimmerman.

So as a lifelong Giants fan now residing in Texas, I am seriously debating whether or not to purchase the MLB Extra Innings package this year. I noticed that if you order it within the next week, you save $40 off the regular season price (making it only $159). I just dont know if I can stomach this years team.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Over the past decade, I've become increasingly lax about the way I follow my Orioles. They haven't been any good since...well, since back when I used to live in the area. So it is always a tough call how much money I want to sink into following a crappy team from afar. Frankly, I have never bothered with the TV packages, but I usually do the GameDay Audio thing and try to listen to a bunch of games. I still do follow the team pretty closely, but I'm not killing myself over it. Besides, if I buy the more expensive packages, I'm worried that too much of that $ will find its way into Angelos' pockets and he'll think he's doing something right.

A couple years ago I finally decided that if I want to continue enjoying the sport, I'm going to have to start seeing other people. So when I was living in NY I started going to Mets games and now that I'm living in OH I'm sorta half-following the Reds. I guess I'm careful to pick teams that don't directly compete with my first love. You may feel guilty at first, but hey, sometimes you need to get your baseball fix. I wish you luck with your long distance relationship. :P

"The Giants always have been an organization known for their slugging, from Mays to Orlando Cepeda to McCovey to Bonds. There were others such as Bobby Bonds, Jack Clark, Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Ellis Burks - sluggers the fan base could hook on to. There isn't one now."

Thats the truth. Though not sure why Ellis Burks is mentioned, I almost forget he even played for us. Should have added Matt Williams and Jeff Kent.

Probably mentioned Burks because the original article was in the Boston Globe.

White Sox-Indians will likely be rained out today. :dontgetit

Yeah. I dunno what the weather looks like for the rest of you guys, but here in OH we're supposed to get a deluge all week. Looking at the forecast, Opening Day might be a while away yet.

Happy springtime, everybody.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Over the past decade, I've become increasingly lax about the way I follow my Orioles. They haven't been any good since...well, since back when I used to live in the area. So it is always a tough call how much money I want to sink into following a crappy team from afar. Frankly, I have never bothered with the TV packages, but I usually do the GameDay Audio thing and try to listen to a bunch of games. I still do follow the team pretty closely, but I'm not killing myself over it. Besides, if I buy the more expensive packages, I'm worried that too much of that $ will find its way into Angelos' pockets and he'll think he's doing something right.

A couple years ago I finally decided that if I want to continue enjoying the sport, I'm going to have to start seeing other people. So when I was living in NY I started going to Mets games and now that I'm living in OH I'm sorta half-following the Reds. I guess I'm careful to pick teams that don't directly compete with my first love. You may feel guilty at first, but hey, sometimes you need to get your baseball fix. I wish you luck with your long distance relationship. :P

Thanks man, your right. I bought the Audio package last year instead of the TV package and really dug it. $14.95 is a steal, anyway. Plus I can fall asleep listening to your old friend, Jon Miller every night.

Last year I was able to see all of Bond's key at bat's as ESPN broadcasted every game as he embarked on 755. At one point I think they aired like ten games in row, at least. I always go to Houston whenever the Giants are in town. In fact since 1999, the Giants are like 10-1 in games that I have seen in person at Minute Maid, formerly Enron field. So that's been fun. I was at the game in 2001 when he hit number 70 in Houston. If there wasnt an upper deck above my right field seat, I may have had a chance at the ball. :ohwell I have tried to root for the 'Stros but I just cant seem to do it. I never had the balls to cheat on my first love, I guess.

Anyway my wife wont let me get it this year anyway, cause she's afraid I will get too depressed if they end up losing 100 games, which they just might do.

So I guess I will just take advantage of the free preview this week and stick with the audio for the remainder of the season. Nothing beats baseball on the radio, anyway. :thumbup

I used to listen to marlins games on the radio when Boog Sciambi did them. He was the best. Now I listen to the actual tv announcers because Tommy Hutton's better than whoever is on the radio now. Hutton is really awesome for a TV play-by-play guy.

I have tried to root for the 'Stros but I just cant seem to do it. I never had the balls to cheat on my first love, I guess.

Yeah, I don't think you ever really do get over that. I've found that I can follow other teams and even kind of root for them (as long as they're in the NL), but definitely not with the same passion. For a long time the only baseball games I ever went to in person were when the O's rolled in to Yankee Stadium to get their asses handed to them over and over again, but that's a painfully predictable way to go through life.

Eventually I branched out and started going to Mets games with a buddy of mine. It was okay because at least cheering for the Mets felt like a way of sticking it to the Yankees. :lol The first couple times I went it was like "Meh. Okay, I'm in a big blue concrete donut watching a team I don't care about." But after a while I kind of developed an attachment. But it is transient one, since now I'm doing the same thing with the Reds. Mostly I just like getting out to the ballpark to watch a few games.

As much as I enjoy listening to a ball game on the radio I'll take the accompanied video to go with it any day. Listening to the radio game while cleaning the garage or working on a project is fantastic, but for overall relaxing I'll take the game on t.v.