• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the White Sox are one of my sworn enemies, I am not in the habit of complimenting them; but, I think the additions of Swisher and Cabrera alone make them a much more dangerous team. I think they'll be the surprise of the Central if they can get a little pitching from the bottom of the rotation.

Man, I love watching Halladay pitch.

Me too, just not vs. the Yanks!

Thats my favorite part of opening day: the pitching match-ups. I was able to watch Santana, Verlander, Oswalt, Peavy, Penny, Sheets and Zambrano pitch yesterday. As an ex-pitcher, it was great. I was also excited to watch my most loved/hated pitcher of my life today: Pedro. When he was in his prime, there was nobody more fun to watch. Unfortunately, he pitched for my 2 least favorite teams, the Red Sox and the Mets. If the Yanks hadn't overpaid for Mike Stanley late in the season in '97 by sending their top-pitching prospect, Tony Armas, Pedro would have been a Yankee. Armas ended up being the key piece in the deal between the Expos and Red Sox. Unfortunately, Pedro didn't look so good tonight. It makes me wonder how effective he can be with his fastball topping out at 88-90 MPH.

Unfortunately, Pedro didn't look so good tonight. It makes me wonder how effective he can be with his fastball topping out at 88-90 MPH.

I think most of his fastballs were actually around 86-87 tonight. He was leaving a lot of junk over the plate, too. His curve ball did show some nice movement though. He also pulled a hamstring and left the game early (4th inning).

Still, it's early and he's still a pleasure to watch imo.

Dan Uggla hasn't gotten any smarter in the off-season, it seems.

Pedro. When he was in his prime, there was nobody more fun to watch.

That's the truth.

A couple of months ago NESN (the Red Sox cable channel) showed the 1999 game where Pedro struck out 17 Yankees. It was still pretty compelling to watch. What struck me was how fooled most of the batters were. He had such a variety of pitches and he threw them all for strikes.

If the Yanks hadn't overpaid for Mike Stanley late in the season in '97 by sending their top-pitching prospect, Tony Armas, Pedro would have been a Yankee.

How did that stop him from becoming a Yankee? Since when has overpaying a player or five stopped the Yankees from overpaying another player?

That's the truth.

A couple of months ago NESN (the Red Sox cable channel) showed the 1999 game where Pedro struck out 17 Yankees. It was still pretty compelling to watch. What struck me was how fooled most of the batters were. He had such a variety of pitches and he threw them all for strikes.

There was a stretch of about four years or so where Pedro may have been the best ever. He was unreal.

That was a beautiful night.

My #1 all-time sports moment is Pedro pitching 6 shutout innings in relief in Game 5 of the 1999 ALDS.

How did that stop him from becoming a Yankee? Since when has overpaying a player or five stopped the Yankees from overpaying another player?

I think the implication is (and I certainly could be wrong), if they hadn't sent away Tony Armas for Mike Stanley, they could have used him in bargaining for Pedro.

Hey, remember when Dale Murphy went to play for the Phillies? What was that about?

It is weird when that happens.

Probably not quite as extreme but I remember when Dwight Evans played a season with Baltimore, after 18 years with the Red Sox.