• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beltran on lost HR: Replay it again!

By ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 4:00 AM

MIAMI - Carlos Beltran already wanted instant replay in baseball. Now, he's adamant. Beltran was deprived of an apparent fifth-inning homer when the original call was overruled, seemingly in error. The outfield wall is topped by a yellow line and a railing. The line is in play, but hitting the rail is supposed to be a home run. The ball appeared to hit the railing and bounce straight up.

"Even tennis they have the challenge thing," said Beltran, who instead was credited with his franchise-record-tying third double of the game.

Beltran suggests giving each team one challenge per game. GMs voted, 25-5, at their November meetings to recommend exploring the instant-replay topic with respect to home run calls.

Wow! Ed Kranepool has had a hell of a makeover!

Before:

edkranepool.jpg

After:

2297639490_66797ed42c_b.jpg

What the shit is that?

I think it's an artist's conception of M. Chris wearing a throwback Mets uni, but he got the eye color wrong.

Blue Jays' throwback unis are sweet. Like Milwaukee, they should wear them for every game.

I like 'em too, the pullover-aspect just doesn't work for me... but obviously, with the Blue Jay image in the middle of the shirt, it has to be that way. I'm just glad they stayed with belts instead of going for the very-softbally Elastic Waistband. :)

For those interested in the topic, I recommend Marc Okkonen's "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century." A little essay on each teams' uni history, then year-by-year illustrations from 1900-93.

i just caught the tail end of the Oriole's game and it just about broke my heart to see that stadium so coddamn empty. Honestly, incredible seats--all empty! if that stadium had 1/4 of capacity i'll eat my coddamn hat. Just depressing. Makes a body want to root for them just to show up the locals.

Your Florida Marlins are in sole possession of first place!

Small victories, people...

Free tickets to the marlins game? Free dollars.

Those tickets being box seats on the field behind home plate? Priceless.

I walked by John Henry (Red Sox principal owner) last night on my to the North End with my wife. While there's something to be said for leaving people alone, which I usually do when I recognize familiar faces, I sorta wish I butted in and said "Thanks Mr. Henry!" or something. He was looking at his phone and saying to his two companions "Maybe I should've signed it, from The Boss!" Texting Hank S? :lol

Ben Sheets threw a complete game shutout today, the second of his career. Brewers have really been clicking so far.

He was looking at his phone and saying to his two companions "Maybe I should've signed it, from The Boss!" Texting Hank S? :lol

Kyle Snyder not believing he was designated for assignment yesterday?

Julio Lugo has really been clicking so far.

If by clicking you mean not being able to throw to first ....

Japan trip? Let's hope they're all just a little road-weary and will get into a groove this week.

Japan trip? Let's hope they're all just a little road-weary and will get into a groove this week.

i thought japan trip too, but honestly JD Drew has hit two home runs in this series. How do you explain that away? ;)

i thought japan trip too, but honestly JD Drew has hit two home runs in this series. How do you explain that away? ;)

Well, JD Drew is more animal than man, so....

But there were some gripes in the papers recently from players about the effect of the trip (that also included going from Japan back to OAK for pre-season games and then straight to TOR- 19 days on the road). I think it's a weak excuse but certainly may be a contributor to how shitty they played in TOR. Maybe even more mental than physical at this point.