song ending fade-outs

What's your take on fade-outs?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion of when a song ends by the volume fading down to nothing?

• Can't stand it
    • Don't care either way
    • Like it

I've always had a hang-up about this, even though some of my favorite songs are in the category. I've said this before but I think it's like ending a book by making the print smaller and smaller until it's illegible. Write a damn ending.

It really depends on the song. There are some songs that fade out where I just want it to have a big finish, or others that do fade out and it works perfectly. I cannot think of any examples right now, but maybe later.

I kinda agree that sometimes they sounds stilted. I dunno why, and it's probably not true, but sometimes it almost seems like there's a fadeout because someone screws up a part royally so they fade out to avoid it. Especially if it seems like there could be a solo coming up.

However, I think the "stinger" is by far the worst way to end a song. You know, that extra note at the end, after a quiet spot, like, (stop) -- BAAAAHHH!!! I think stingers make little 8 lbs 5 oz baby jesus cry.

I've always had a hang-up about this, even though some of my favorite songs are in the category. I've said this before but I think it's like ending a book by making the print smaller and smaller until it's illegible. Write a damn ending.

It's all about what works for the song.

It's all about what works for the song.

That's sort of how I feel about it. Some songs just feel right riding out on the chorus (or outro, or whatever), some are better served by a resounding last chord. In general though, I must admit I prefer a proper ending instead of the easy cop out of the fade out. Nevertheless, to continue with the book analogy: you wouldn't want to end every story with THE END, and the same goes with songs.

you wouldn't want to end every story with THE END, and the same goes with songs.

I don't know what this means. Every story I've read ended. Whether the author added "the end" or not didn't change the story or the fact that the author ended the story.

I'm not a fan of the fade-out where everyone is still playing. Does it count if the fade is on the final note (I'm thinking "Day in the Life" especially)?

I don't know what this means. Every story I've read ended. Whether the author added "the end" or not didn't change the story or the fact that the author ended the story.

Just because the words have stopped doesn't mean the story is over though. Sure, some stories end with a resolution, all wrapped up nice and clean like a TV sitcom; but there are also those that are open ended, begging the reader to contemplate what happens next. The same could be said of songs.

Anyhow, I was just trying to say earlier that it would be very limiting for an artist to only ever do things one way.

If you want music with definitive endings, listen to the blues. Songs in that genre almost always end without a fade out ;).

I just don't buy the analogy. Even if a story ends without wrapping everything up neatly, it does not mean that the author did not contemplate and execute an ending. Most fade-outs are simply a repeat of a chorus or other refrain. It's just not the same thing.

From a production standpoint, it's simply a way to add a little variety to a recording. If ever song ends on a hold-out chord or one sudden, final strum, they're all going to sound the same at the end. Some songs are meant to sound drawn-out and longwinded, and that's where fading out comes in.