• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great choice on the Star Room Boys! I heart that album. It's gotten a new lease on life just recently when I finally got around to importing into my iTunes.

As for me... when I get a spare moment and can bother to cue up 2 different CD players... I'm trying different combinations of: 51AZPWGB9SL._SS500_.jpg

It's definitely better than Plans, but, as with the majority, it doesn't touch Transatlanticsm... and I doubt they'll ever top that.

Apart from the P4K review, all the others i've read have been positive. If it wasn't for the middle-ish 3 songs, I think I'd love it a lot more.

NP:

51gzLOT0NXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I don't hold Transatlanticism nor Plans in high regards: better is a relative term. But I think the overall sound of Narrow Stairs just sounds much better than their last two albums. And yeah, Gibbard overhyped the dark sound of the album. It's a very light touch of dark.

I definitely agree with Solace (Airplanes and Photo Album are their best albums).

Desperate_youth,_blood_thirsty_babes_cover.jpg

It's definitely better than Plans, but, as with the majority, it doesn't touch Transatlanticsm... and I doubt they'll ever top that.

Apart from the P4K review, all the others i've read have been positive. If it wasn't for the middle-ish 3 songs, I think I'd love it a lot more.

yeah, by my count there's really only 5 to 6 good to great songs on the album:

Great:

Long Division

Cath

Your New Twin Sized Bed (despite it's bad lyrics, still one of the best songs on the album)

Good:

Grapevine Fires (sleeper of the album for me)

Bixby Canyon Bridge

No Sunlight (was tempted to put this in the average column as it's an obvious attempt at a single, but it's a pretty good song still)

Average:

I Will Possess Your Heart

Pity And Fear (that tabla sounds so fake/out of place, if not for that this would be a good song)

Crap:

You Can Do Better Than Me (those lyrics are just so over the top cheesy/bad)

Talking Bird (been done much much better by DCFC before, this one is just dull)

like i'd mentioned earlier, it's not that it's a bad record, but it's certainly no better than a 7/10 record for me and like Plans i've just had little desire to listen to it outside of the 5-6 initial listens

^I've yet to listen to the new album, and I have to admit the current single gives me no motivation whatsoever...

But now, finally getting 'round to this:

jf_waitedupalbumcover.jpg

Reminds me a bit of The (now almost defunct) Narrator's All That To The Wall, sans the female vocalist. If you like the Johnny Foreigner you should check out The Narrator. Not that it matters now since they split up... bah.

^I've yet to listen to the new album, and I have to admit the current single gives me no motivation whatsoever...

luckily the single is somewhat of an anomally in terms of overall sound/vibe.

it's worth listening to for Cath & Long Division alone, which are both among Death Cab's better songs.

yeah, by my count there's really only 5 to 6 good to great songs on the album:

Great:

Long Division

Cath

Your New Twin Sized Bed (despite it's bad lyrics, still one of the best songs on the album)

Good:

Grapevine Fires (sleeper of the album for me)

Bixby Canyon Bridge

No Sunlight (was tempted to put this in the average column as it's an obvious attempt at a single, but it's a pretty good song still)

Average:

I Will Possess Your Heart

Pity And Fear (that tabla sounds so fake/out of place, if not for that this would be a good song)

Crap:

You Can Do Better Than Me (those lyrics are just so over the top cheesy/bad)

Talking Bird (been done much much better by DCFC before, this one is just dull)

like i'd mentioned earlier, it's not that it's a bad record, but it's certainly no better than a 7/10 record for me and like Plans i've just had little desire to listen to it outside of the 5-6 initial listens

Yeah, agree with the break down there, except for the single which, for some reason, has just stuck in my head!

Definitely a 7.5 on the P4K scale for me... I'd certainly like them to get a bit darker next time around.

Brian Eno - Another Day on Earth

Bob Dylan - The Freewheeling Bob Dylan

Bee Gees early years compilation