• Dunkin Donuts
    • Starbucks
    • grandma!
    • McDonald's
    • local diner/mom & pop
    • I like tea!
    • f**k a bunch of coffee!
    • Caribou Coffee.

I believe Dunkin' Donuts has the best regular coffee and Starbucks does the iced/fancy drinks well as far as chains go.

That said, I'd much prefer the mom and pop places if it is a viable option. Starbucks/Caribou/Dunkin' has put most of those out of business.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the above. Once I got a French press, it was revealed to me that I make the best coffee in the world.

Same here, except I have a Freedom press. :monkey

I don't drink coffee, but the people around here swear by Tim Horton's coffee. Judging by the crowds they get in the mornings I figure they must be lacing the stuff with PCPs or something.

I feel bad for you poor souls who have never been to a Wawa. Best coffee in the world, not to mention you can get a custom made 2-foot hoagie at 4 in the morning. Or if not, some fresh produce or a salad. Either way, Wawa kicks everything elses ass.

That said, I'd much prefer the mom and pop places if it is a viable option. Starbucks/Caribou/Dunkin' has put most of those out of business.

Is that true? I think I read a study somewhere that said that Starbucks, at least, not only didn't put coffee places out of business, but that their mainstreaming of fancy coffee drinks actually helped local coffee places... That there are more coffee joints now (that aren't starbucks) than there were before starbucks came to town...

in any event: i like tea!

Is that true? I think I read a study somewhere that said that Starbucks, at least, not only didn't put coffee places out of business, but that their mainstreaming of fancy coffee drinks actually helped local coffee places... That there are more coffee joints now (that aren't starbucks) than there were before starbucks came to town...

in any event: i like tea!

It's true from what I've seen in my town. It's difficult for the small places to compete. I've seen several go out of business in the past 4 or 5 years.

As far as the tea, I love that stuff. Green tea in particular. There used to be places on the east coast called Tealuxe. I thought that they were going to take off like Starbucks on a smaller scale. Guess they haven't. They have an excellent online selection though.

i live in rhode island, and have just found out dunkin donuts were available outside of New England haha, I guess they are going bigtime. Honeydew is great, the best coffee in the world is 100% Dave's Coffee in charlestown RI

It's true from what I've seen in my town. It's difficult for the small places to compete. I've seen several go out of business in the past 4 or 5 years.

As far as the tea, I love that stuff. Green tea in particular. There used to be places on the east coast called Tealuxe. I thought that they were going to take off like Starbucks on a smaller scale. Guess they haven't. They have an excellent online selection though.

In Providence, more coffee places opened, the ones open stayed open and got busier and suddenly everyone was selling high end coffee drinks. It was that way in PDX as well. And that's in a town where there were no fewer than 5 dunkin donuts in the downtown area (which btw is about 3 square blocks) plus a Tim Hortons as well as a few diners, and plus, Tazza, Coffee King, Cafe La France and AS220...The one coffee place that closed did so because they were bought out of their location, not because there was a starbucks downtown. So , my experience has been that Starbucks is not the Walmart of Coffee Joints.

i have yet to drink coffee. ive seen it drain so many people's pockets--it really is an incredibly expensive habit. i'd rather spend the money on cd's and concert tickets... that, and i know that some day soon in my college career, when my procrastination has hit its limit and i'm up against a wall, i have something that will be guaranteed to keep me up for 48 hours straight ;)

i live in rhode island, and have just found out dunkin donuts were available outside of New England haha, I guess they are going bigtime. Honeydew is great, the best coffee in the world is 100% Dave's Coffee in charlestown RI

They've been pretty big for at least the last 30 years. I remember watching Dunkin Donuts commercials (time to make the donuts!) when I was a kid in Clarksville, Tennessee. Which is pretty far from New England.

oh my, never heard of this place. I like tea too... :(

Caribou Coffee.

I should add them to the poll.

Tealuxe is pretty cool. I used to get tea and crumpets there when i worked at Brown U. Seriously.

There's at least one in Boston (Newbury st maybe) and one in Providence (Thayer street) but I've never seen them anywhere else. There are places called Teaism in the malls here, but they don't really appeal to me.

Tealuxe is pretty cool. I used to get tea and crumpets there when i worked at Brown U. Seriously.

There's at least one in Boston (Newbury st maybe)

Ding. There's one in Harvard Sq too.

I'm real big on a hot mug of tea when I first get up, but I will drink the coffee as long as it's good and strong.