there is not enough wealth amonst the "rich" to pay for these programs. therefore the middle class will be picking up the slack. i see higher taxes and lower paychecks in my future, how about you?

Dunno about that one. How's it go? The upper 10% own 90% of the wealth, the 90% have 10% of the wealth? I think this is late 20th century...it is even worse now.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And at the time he gave a very passionate speech opposing the war. Sure, his perspective may have been different if he were in the Senate at the time, but it's not as though he jumped on to the anti-war bandwagon only after deciding to run for President. He was very vocal and prescient about the war since well before the invasion.

Here is that speech... IMHO it's pretty darn good.

Good afternoon. Let begin by saying that although this has been billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances.

The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil.

I don

ah, what's the point, i'll always be in the political minority here. we can disagree on politics and still be friends can't we? there's no point in pushing this any further. good luck to you all.

see you in november.

This is a microcosm; the green party is a minority everywhere.

That Obama speech was pretty damn good, and pretty damn close to my own stance on the war.

On a different topic in this thread The difference in 'religious' advisors or associates between McCain and Obama is that right now the people who McCain associates with (Hagee, Dobson, LaHaye etc...) have access to the White House, they have the president's ear and they expect to keep that close relationship going regardless of who the republican president is. McCain, or any R candidate fears not having the support of these people because of the reach they exert. These people themselves want the access and seemingly want input into official policy. We all want input, I'm sure everything would be perfect if we were each allowed to set the laws in our own manner since other people are not quite as well versed as each and every voter is. //sarcasm off// But thhe input some of these guys offer is disastrous in my opinion. to my way of thinking they are the leadership of the Christian Taliban, who want to enforce their version of a moral society on thhe rest of us, regardless of what we think a moral society should be (I'm thinking Dobson here). Others of them seem to want to speed the end and the second coming, which if they were Muslim we would call them jihadists, it's just that they don't blow themselves up in public, (Hagee, LaHaye) these are people who should have no input into policy because their desires are to force and end-time scenario, not to promote the country. I've long believed that the whole "faith based initiative' was conceived, developed and implemented as a reward to payback these supporters, but the payback is hurting the country because in addition to using the government to promote Christianity, they get access to places where, quite frankly crazy people should not have access to...the oval office.

Clerics, if you will. Frightening.

It took the calculated move of a politician. No risk because only his opinion was on the line. And it's real easy to bleat about it 4 years after the war.

Hey, I said it was the wrong move at the time too. Why ain't I the Democrats nominee?!?

It was a huge risk, being that his political career depends on votes, and this wasn't a popular position to take.

No reason for political discussion or research..it's all in the stars.The 2008 election has already been decided...by the man.Astro Future Trend Man.

~on Obama~

http://astrofuturetrends.blogspot.com/search?q=obama

~On Wilco~

He says that since JT is the main creative force and a virgo, the band has a Virgoan stamp.~

http://astrofuturetrends.blogspot.com/search?q=wilco

~on McCain~

http://astrofuturetrends.blogspot.com/2007...-president.html

Maybe we need to seperate the fans @ shows according to their stars????

Dylan's on here, Neil Young,the Clinton clan, Arcade Fire,Bush, Iraq... your mama.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I really don't understand how you can think it wasn't a risky move considering the "You're either with us or you're with the terrorists" political climate of the time.

Because that wasn't what was voted on, and that's the basis of his whole criticism of his opponents. You voted for it, I wouldn't (even though he couldn't). It would have been a risky move to oppose the war and then run for Senate in Texas. There was no risk to saying "I'm anti war," and then crowing in the primaries that he was right four years later.

I don't understand how you don't see the difference.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Indeed. It was intelligent and reasoned, and recent history has shown it to be right.

Whoa, he really went out on a limb.

What was his alternative? How specifically would have have dealt with Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq? It's just talk.

What was his alternative? How specifically would have have dealt with Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq? It's just talk.

His alternative to opposing the war? Well, he could have supported it.

Or if you mean his alternative presented to going to war, well, the alternative was to not go to war. That was the whole point. There was no pressing need to go to war, no crisis that the war was an attempt to avert. It was completely unnecessary -- we didn't have to do anything at that time. That's the point.

Also, he's laid out a million specificis about policy toward the middle east. Seriously, it's not a mystery. Look at his webpage.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
His alternative to opposing the war? Well, he could have supported it.

Or if you mean his alternative presented to going to war, well, the alternative was to not go to war. That was the whole point. There was no pressing need to go to war, no crisis that the war was an attempt to avert. It was completely unnecessary -- we didn't have to do anything at that time. That's the point.

Also, he's laid out a million specifics about policy toward the middle east. Seriously, it's not a mystery. Look at his webpage.

I have. Lots of rough, broad outlines. No real world details.

Seriously, honestly, I'm looking for reasons to support him, to be comfortable that he's the best hope for this country. I'm looking for help no empty justifications and warm and fuzzy feelings.

You say your opinions are build upon more concrete details and information and I believe you. I guess, short of better resources, I'll keep looking.

they are largely too lazy to edumacate themselves as to what a candidate stands for. - me

this may be be the most racist thing i've ever read on this board

do you see race in that quote? because i sure don't.