Whoa, he really went out on a limb.

What was his alternative? How specifically would have have dealt with Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq? It's just talk.

In August, Sen. Barack Obama had made the argument that, as president, he would target Al Qaeda officials in Pakistan even without the country's acquiescence -- the type of attack that, six months later, proved to be successful.

At the time, Obama was roundly criticized for his remarks, both by his Democratic competitors for the White House and by the Bush administration.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I look at it, how can anyone logically support cutting taxes and increasing spending? If you cut taxes, you have to decrease spending. If you increase taxes, you should increase spending.

Is my math wrong here?

Yes, to a point. Historically, tax cuts have led to revenue increases because tax cuts stimulate the economy. Therefore, even though lower percentages are being taxed, net revenues grow. The reason budget deficits ballooned in the 80's isn't the Reagan tax cuts, it's that spending grew at even faster rates than revenue increases.

I think, however, the Bush tax cuts are reaching the point of diminishing returns. Theoretically, I don't think you could have a tax rate of .0000001% and expect more revenue than if the tax rates were around 25%.

Also, I think in sends the wrong message in a time of war to be arguing for lower taxes. What happened to the idea of sacrifices on the home front?

Hillary to speak at noon, suspend her campaign, endorse Barack.

I've been pretty critical of the way she's ran her campaign, but I thought it was a fine speech. I know that there's been some criticism that it was too much about herself and not enough about Obama, but it was a really close race in which she accomplished a lot and she was pretty unequivocal about her support of Obama so I don't have a problem with it at all.

I thought it was a good speech and I was fine with her talking about her own campaign. It is a watershed moment in history to have had a viable female candidate. Props to her. I mean how does one admit defeat gracefully? I think she did a fine job of that, while acknowledging the importance of her campaign.

Further evidence that - regardless of who is elected president - the US will continue to occupy Iraq.

From The Independant:

A secret deal being negotiated in Baghdad would perpetuate the American military occupation of Iraq indefinitely, regardless of the outcome of the US presidential election in November.

The terms of the impending deal, details of which have been leaked to The Independent, are likely to have an explosive political effect in Iraq. Iraqi officials fear that the accord, under which US troops would occupy permanent bases, conduct military operations, arrest Iraqis and enjoy immunity from Iraqi law, will destabilise Iraq's position in the Middle East and lay the basis for unending conflict in their country.

source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/mi...rol-840512.html

Strategic control of oil, our raison d'etre in Iraq, will ensure that we stay put for a good, long time.

Well, even if it happens, can't it be changed or abandoned? I would think so -- especially if both parties choose to do so.

Possibly, but only if oil decreases in value - in this instance, value being defined as no longer necessary. Our continued access to oil is the single most important factor driving our foreign and national security policy. There is a rising chorus of industry insiders who are beginning to suspect/admit that current prices have less to do with speculators, and more to do with producers simply not being able to keep up with increasing demand. And as unquenched, unfulfilled demand increases, global political stability decreases.

The gloom and doom scenarios put forth by peak oil theorists are beginning to look a little less farfetched, and a bit more likely.

Forum sees oil peak as world crisis

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2008/jun/...07_energyforum/

The Hirsch report, the commonly referred to name for the report Peaking of World Oil Production: Impacts, Mitigation, and Risk Management, was created by request for the US Department of Energy and published in February 2005. It examined the likelihood of the occurrence of peak oil, the necessary mitigating actions, and the likely impacts based on the timeliness of those actions.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications/other...eaking_NETL.pdf

This paragraph rules:

Schmitt said he is aware of the great dangers inherent in the possibility of imminent peak oil but he, like Reinhardt, hopes that greater efficiencies in electrical technology and conservation will enable modern society to continue.

Also, I think in sends the wrong message in a time of war to be arguing for lower taxes. What happened to the idea of sacrifices on the home front?

exactly.

how people don't understand this is beyond me. have they not been teaching this in History class about WWII the last 10-15 years??

The way I look at it, how can anyone logically support cutting taxes and increasing spending? If you cut taxes, you have to decrease spending. If you increase taxes, you should increase spending.

Is my math wrong here?

With some attention also given to our economic health in terms of quantity of tax revenue generated and our import/export ratio. Both of which are poo right now.

With some attention also given to our economic health in terms of quantity of tax revenue generated and our import/export ratio. Both of which are poo right now.

Can you imagine what our trade deficit is going to look like this year w/ the price of oil?? :o

So the base for the Dems has to convert the racists

the base for the Reps has to convert the evangelicals...

in this particular situation, the politicians are earning their money

Who are the evangelicals backing at this point?

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Can you imagine what our trade deficit is going to look like this year w/ the price of oil?? :o

Actually we're making the largest cuts into our trade deficit than we have in years.

In fact, because everything is geared towards the United States being a consuming nation -- and thus shipping being import oriented -- exporters are struggling to get space and containers on outbound ships in order to sell their goods overseas. Exporting U.S. goods is actually a nuisance!!

Who are the evangelicals backing at this point?

They're praying for McCain/Hucklebee

From what I can tell, some of them are McCain, some of them are holding out for McCain to totally sell out to them, not just partially. I read something too that McCain call Falwell and one of the other zealots some bad names when he was running against Bush in 2000.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Huckabee seems like the only person out of all of the candidates that seems like a fun person to be around.

I thought McCain and Mitt made up? Huckabee is Mr. Potential Foot in Mouth guy, but a shoo in for the Evangelical uprising.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Huckabee seems like the only person out of all of the candidates that seems like a fun person to be around.

joke after hearing a loud bang in the background while he spoke to the National Rifle Association recently:

That was Barack Obama. He just tripped off a chair. He's getting ready to speak' date=' and somebody aimed a gun at him and he--he dove for the floor.[/quote']

he's since called obama personally to apologize, but what a dickweed, dumbass joke to make.